Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 06:26   #1

What if we had "intent" in anchoring laws?

As a permanent cruiser/liveaboard and traveler, I'm for anchoring continuing to be unrestricted.

However, boat jerks are even affecting me in anchorages, so I can clearly see why land owners and municipalities want to get rid of anchorages.

Too many jerks abuse the privilege.

I arrived to a very crowded anchorage after a long day recently. I could barely squeeze in on overly short scope. I chose this anchorage because I need to buy a whole bunch of stuff and there are a lot of places to spend my money here.

There are 10 boats in this small anchorage using it as a "free mooring field."

One has no name, no hailing port and apparently no registration at all. Here is a picture.

None of these 10 boats are being used. They are empty. They are mostly ratty, but not all of them are.

I really feel all anchorages should have a quarterly or semi annual time limit. You should not be able to use an anchorage for a year as a free spot to leave a neglected boat, half of which you see sunken at a later date.

Also, maybe an "in use" vessels only clause.

I don't know...

What I do know is jerks shouldn't be able to take up 2/3 of an anchorage with unused, neglected boats that are anchored to avoid storage fees.

Wish there was a way for us boaters to police ourselves regarding this.

Florida faces a lot of problems in this respect.

If we boaters can't come up with a workable answer, I have no idea how municipalities are going to.

Anyone have any ideas on a theoretical set of rules that would allow people to live aboard in anchorages for limited periods of time, eliminate people using anchorages as free derelict boat storage, eliminate half sunken boats, open up morebspace in anchorages for cruisers and generally balance out the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_1446124222901.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	111791  
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:15   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: What if we had "intent" in anchoring laws?

ach tung.
in san diego i learned by watching that most of the drifting non anchored anchored boats were being placed in th eallegedly free anchorage, A-8, by yot clubbers who wanted to discontinue the anchorage that took away their racing grounds. ok. so they towed the nasties in, let em free, then called cops on the boat. ok.
so.
have fun. choose a different state or locale in which to anchor, as these will stay until the anchoring is rescinded. there is no RIGHT to anchor, merely the PRIVILEGE to anchor. BIIIG difference.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Manatee pocket, stuart can't wait to restrict anchoring their. Go south aways in the pocket and there are some even trashier boats with some homesteaders living under tarps. Makes that boat look well kept.
Old 29-10-2015, 08:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a tendency to agree, most of the problem is in my opinion not cruisers, most of the problem boats in my opinion are not sea worthy, most don't even seem to have any form of propulsion, no sails, broken stays etc.

Unfortunately though either by design or maybe ignorance, we are being grouped with them
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:43   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I think you have a good concept here. Only problem is city, town, county or state legislatures who have to enact the laws respond to too many constituencies. In San Diego the anchorages are limited to 3 nights (and some to only certain days). Reservations are required through the harbor police in order to anchor and you can only get 3 reservations in a month. No way to stay more than 9 days without paying for a slip. (There is a longer term anchorage (A9) one can qualify for by inspection from the harbor police. It is an open rolling area distant from any shoreside services and right by the Coast Guard station helipad and the runway for SD Airport.

In other harbors in Southern California the limit is 3 or 5 nights and strictly enforced. So none of these restrictions meet the needs you are describing. It would be nice if we could anchor for a couple of weeks and longer by permission for special circumstances. But, the many near homeless boaters, in decrepit unmaintained boats, would clog the anchorages and dodge from one site to the next and back again.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:07   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

None of those guys living on an inoperable boat under tarps represents our best interest. the issue is that Florida is simply not enforcing existing laws.

Anyhow, I have no problem with anchoring time limits but not 3 or 5 days because you may need to wait up to 2 months for a weather window to cross to the Bahamas. If you happen to be off the boat for a couple of weeks visiting your sick mother I don't think you should be towed.

I think 2-3 months in areas that are near inlets is plenty of time.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

2 months is a long wait. I've crossed around a dozen times and never changed my plans by more than 2-3 days. It's only 50 miles!
Old 29-10-2015, 14:37   #8

Adding to this... The authorities certainly do seem to treat different people differently.

I was planing in my tender today in what I thought was back to a "resume safe operation" area.

Sheriff came right over. Was a little upset and hostile until I answered the "what boat are you on?" Question.

From the moment he knew I was on what he called a "high dollar catamaran", he was nothing but similes and helping me with friendly tips about the town/harbor. Became a tour guide rather than law enforcement. Nice guy, actually.

I certainly haven't always been the guy on the fancy boat, so i could feel the big difference.

I think the enforcement guys want to do the right thing and they do know the difference, but.... they can't move the derelict boats or "free mooring field" boats out. There is no law for them to stand on.

Even better might be:

3 months to anchor somewhere, unless the water cops decide to tell you to take a hike, then you have 3 days to vacate.

Frankly, I think these guys need more power. They get it.
Old 29-10-2015, 14:41   #9

Also, if you put more power in the law enforcement's hands, there would be places that welcomed cruisers and places that told us to get lost..., which is ok.
Old 29-10-2015, 15:32   #10

Florida has a law in placed ,but not enforced
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:50   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post

(...)

Anyone have any ideas on a theoretical set of rules that would allow people to live aboard in anchorages for limited periods of time

(...)
Nothing wrong with living anchored permanently, I think. As long as the boat is not a danger and not abandoned.

I can hear your call re abandoned and derelict boats. But this is where local administration should step in and a) demand the boat be taken care of or b) remove the boat and charge the owner for removal. Such boats should be either auctioned off (early!) or else recycled.

Apparently, where you live, the local administration is useless.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:56   #12

Boat: Cornado 25

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
—Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 29-10-2015, 19:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
2 months is a long wait. I've crossed around a dozen times and never changed my plans by more than 2-3 days. It's only 50 miles!
Not from Marathon its not! We left Marathon last spring after waiting a month for a good window! There were people still waiting when we left and were still waiting another month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Apparently, where you live, the local administration is useless.
Agree! IMO it has more to do with not wanting to spend the funds the state allocates to them for the purpose for which it was meant. They would rather the boat owner pick up the bill and then pocket the money for another purpose. The longer we are here in Florida, the more I become disenchanted with the governments. They really would rather just bury their heads in the sand and wish we cruisers would go away.

Anyhow, half of florida will be underwater in 20 years so I think we will see a lot of changes forthcoming i the coming decades.
Old 29-10-2015, 19:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

Anyhow, half of florida will be underwater in 20 years so I think we will see a lot of changes forthcoming i the coming decades.
Ach, the same people who a "running " Florida now deny that'll ever happen.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 20:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ach, the same people who a "running " Florida now deny that'll ever happen.
Meanwhile St. Augustine is flooding 6" every 2 days, water gushing out from the drainage pipes, and sewers overflowing into the ICW.

Tags
anchor, anchoring