Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2018, 00:44   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
What chain? Goiot 312windlass (1990)

Hi guys,

I have been researching which chain i should get for my goiot 312 windlass, to date with no sure answer.

I have a 10mm gypsy

Current chain is too rusty to take mesurements from.

In europe we have two types of chain, DIN 766 and ISO 4565.

The manual of the windlass states: Gipsy accepts any type of calibrated chain (NF EN24565)

I thought i should go with the iso as the iso numbers are the same as stated in the manual (NF EN24565), but then i fit both type of chain in de gypsy, the Din chain fit very tight, the iso loosly.

Im not sure anymore what to go for. Can you guys help?

Attached snips out of manual + pictures of gypsy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	181049Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	181050Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	181051Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	181052
Tjurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 01:28   #2

Re: What chain? Goiot 312windlass (1990)

Hi Tjurd, I thought I knew the answer before I read through your post but discovered that you know you have a 10mm gypsy as denoted by the "10" on your photo, but having now read through two times I must say sorry I don't know the answer. Anyways, Im also interested since I have the exact same model so I add a sub. BTW, I have read that Goiot is notoriosly bad at answering enquiries but I haven't tried myself. Hopefully someone here will have better knowledge.
best regards,
Erik

PS how do you like your boat?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 03:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

get some samples of din and iso chain ideally at least 6 links,lay it on the gypsy the correct spec chain will fit correctly into the gypsy indents.

alternatively take the gypsy to a chandler who has stock of din and iso chain and do the test,iso chain links being longer will not lay flat on a din gypsy
din chain links being shorter will not fit around the gypsy evenly if the gypsy is for iso chain.
edit

i would suspect that you need iso chain from your description
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 22:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Hi Tjurd, I thought I knew the answer before I read through your post but discovered that you know you have a 10mm gypsy as denoted by the "10" on your photo, but having now read through two times I must say sorry I don't know the answer. Anyways, Im also interested since I have the exact same model so I add a sub. BTW, I have read that Goiot is notoriosly bad at answering enquiries but I haven't tried myself. Hopefully someone here will have better knowledge.
best regards,
Erik

PS how do you like your boat?
Hi Erik,
Thanks for your reply, maybe try Goiot aswel.

We love the boat, really like her lines and almost nearing completion of a big refit. . If you want to know anything, we pretty much had the boat inside out.
Old 23-11-2018, 22:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
get some samples of din and iso chain ideally at least 6 links,lay it on the gypsy the correct spec chain will fit correctly into the gypsy indents.

alternatively take the gypsy to a chandler who has stock of din and iso chain and do the test,iso chain links being longer will not lay flat on a din gypsy
din chain links being shorter will not fit around the gypsy evenly if the gypsy is for iso chain.
edit

i would suspect that you need iso chain from your description
Hi Atoll,

Yeah thats what indeed what i did, so if the one that fits the most snug then i guess it would be the DIN chain, ignoring the NF EN24565 code in the manual.
Old 24-11-2018, 01:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjurd View Post
Hi Atoll,

Yeah thats what indeed what i did, so if the one that fits the most snug then i guess it would be the DIN chain, ignoring the NF EN24565 code in the manual.
bear in mind that an old windlass gypsy like yours has also probably had quite a bit of wear on the indents making the pitch length slightly longer.
on a universal type like yours designed to accept both sizes.
the wear pattern will be reflected by which size chain was previously used .

so i would guess a shorter din size would fit better and deeper into the indent with less chance of jumping if iso chain was previously used.

it will also probably last longer than iso chain before it starts jumping as each link is shorter to start with,but will get longer over time as the galvanising wears away between the links.
new iso chain over 10 links is already 1cm longer than new din chain.

you might have to adjust the chain splitter key at the through deck hole, if the chain has a tendancy to stick in the indents due to its snug fit when peeling off.

10mm Calibrated Chain – DIN 799 or ISO - EN818-3
Two options -

din,The actual chain size is 10 x 28 x 34mm – Explanation- 10mm = Material Diameter 28mm = Inside Link Length 34mm = Outside Link Width.

iso,The actual chain size is 10 x 30 x 35mm – Explanation- 10mm = Material Diameter 30mm = Inside Link Length 35mm = Outside Link Width.

The reason for two sizes can be traced back to the variation in metric and imperial measurement. The correct size will be dependent on the manufacturer of the windlass.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Goiot, wind, windlass