Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 19:06   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Wancheng Anchor Chain

My local chandlery has chain from a Chinese company - Wancheng. They say that it is very good chain and is as good as Aussie made chain - It is apparently the chain that all the Australian trawlers use and has been certified - See attached doc - Although its a cert out of China and not Australia!

Having heard a LOT of bad things about Chinese chain, as well as having done business in China for many years, I am more than dubious about it and will not be buying it, but out of curiosity I was wandering if anyone has any experience with this maker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cert.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	206239  
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 19:47   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Wancheng Anchor Chain

I stopped buying Chinese chain after having had a bad experience in 2011.

I usually have about 80m of chain with about half staying in the locker most of the time. Finding it more difficult to find good regal shops I had taken to just replacing the working section as it wore and the gal disappeared.

During a hull refit I decided to replace the working section I cut about 40m off and ran the Chinese chain from the locker to clean it out and check for corrosion (steel boat)

The gal on the Chinese chain had mostly turned black and was flaking off. I had never seen this on chain before but assumed that it was probably because of the use of poor quality zinc, maybe scrap and mixed with other metals.

Consequent to this experience I no longer purchase Chinese chain.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 00:21   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

no experience with this manufacturer, however in my experience chinese products are like everywhere...you get what you pay for

if a product is super cheap there is a reason. any product (chinese or martian) that is very much cheaper than the norm is probably not as good.

on the other hand, i have seen chinese products that are slightly cheaper than elsewhere, yet are very acceptable quality. just need to research carefully

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
My local chandlery has chain from a Chinese company - Wancheng. They say that it is very good chain and is as good as Aussie made chain - It is apparently the chain that all the Australian trawlers use and has been certified - See attached doc - Although its a cert out of China and not Australia!

Having heard a LOT of bad things about Chinese chain, as well as having done business in China for many years, I am more than dubious about it and will not be buying it, but out of curiosity I was wandering if anyone has any experience with this maker?
Why not go talk to some of the trawlers and ask about there are experience? If it's bad I'm sure they'll have the time to tell you and that group of folks usually doesn't pull any punches so you'll get an honest answer.
China is a massive country with literally millions of companies. A lot produce crap, but so do a lot of US and I presume Australian companies as well. There are plenty that produce good stuff as well, I see millions of solar panels installed made in China that are beating performance degradation estimate by quite a bit now some 10 years on, for example. Any "I got Chinese chain once and it sucked so never again" statement is akin to saying "I ate in a restaurant in Sydney 9 years ago and the food was bad so I'll never eat at another restaurant in Australia again."
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor