Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 18:35   #1

Boat: Tayana 52 Aft Cockpit
VWC 3500 Overhaul

I have to overhaul my Maxwell VWC 3500. It is mechanically stuck. I've removed everything above the deck and the motor and it still won't turn. I've removed the four bolts connecting the deck plate and spacer. The main shaft is clean and not too goo'ed up. The lower unit (gearbox and spacer) won't budge. Am I missing something?
jeh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 19:01   #2
cruiser

Re: VWC 3500 Overhaul

I have a VW1500, pretty awesome unit, massive pull, 1960 lbs I believe. Yours is a big one and has a different style trans. I think the motor is vertical. How old is it? When did it last turn? Maybe pull the motor and see if I turns independently with power. Water in trans maybe. The weak spot on mine is the long shaft through the deck. I've done a mild breakdown and lube twice now . It's almost 4 years old now, due for another cleaning.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 19:03   #3
cruiser

I read something about the trans case leaking the oil out somewhere online. Mine has a sight glass hole to visually check.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 20:19   #4

My just purchased this boat with the windlass. I think the thing is at least 30 years old. I know the majority of history on the boat (including zero zip nada maintenance for the past 7-10 years)...
The motor is a-ok and is horizontally mounted into the gear case, 2 bolts. The seals are obviously shot as it rained oil when I took the motor off. Motor turns happily without being connected. I can't turn the thing with the emergency handle more than a few degrees before it seizes up. It is the main shaft that is stuck. I need to drop the shaft thru the base plate and take the shaft/gear box apart to see what is messed up. Only problem is that the shaft won't budge... no movement at all thru the base plate bearing. I tried prying from below. Whacking the main shaft with a hammer, whacking the four loosened bolts that hold the spacer to the base plate. No movement thru the deck at all. It is acting like there is a c-clip or similar holding it. Everything is loose/off from the top... Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2014, 17:00   #5

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. I just had mine out to replace a broken C-clip. The C-clips should not keep the shaft and gear box from dropping down. The installer MIGHT have put some kind of adhesive (like 3M 5200 for example) between the gear box and deck plate that is giving you an issue....just a thought. There's a chance the shaft could have seized (corrosion) to the deck plate, My 2 cents at this point. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 17:53   #6

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Have you tried contacting Simpson Maxwell USA for an exploded diagram? The service manager there was very helpful when I was rebuilding my VWC2500. I don't recall what could be causing your problem but it could be glued down as mentioned or perhaps there is a circlip you are not seeing? My previous windlass was sealed to the foredeck with 5200 and I had to use a hydraulic jack from underneath to pry it off. No amount of pounding did anything. Great windlass by the way and well worth fixing.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 00:51   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I have a smaller VWC and it does have a circlip that keeps the shaft from dropping down through the upper unit's bearing. I assume that you have successfully removed the clutches and the key, leaving only the shaft sticking up from the base casting. There is likely a rubber seal under the clutches, and under that a circlip which must be removed.

Good luck with the disassembley and rebuild.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jeh2001.

Goto Manuals, then 3500 VW VWC VWCLP ➥ Maxwell

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:41   #9

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. Just to clarify, on the VWC 3500, there are 2 C-Clips that hold the shaft in place to the gear box. You do not have to worry about them when trying to remove the shaft & gear box from the deck plate. Trust you are making progress.

As a FYI, I would suggest having a couple of these C-Clips in your spares kit, just in case, one breaks. They can be easily broken when removing the shaft from the gearbox. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 10:59   #10

Here is the story... The spacer tube was completely full of grease and salt and that was stopping the main shaft from turning. Once I excavated the salt out from around the shaft things started to come apart as one would expect. Yup - Maxwell's support is great. Parts are on the way and the windlass, while needing a lot of attention is easily rebuildable.
Old 28-01-2014, 11:21   #11

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh2001 View Post
Here is the story... The spacer tube was completely full of grease and salt and that was stopping the main shaft from turning. Once I excavated the salt out from around the shaft things started to come apart as one would expect. Yup - Maxwell's support is great. Parts are on the way and the windlass, while needing a lot of attention is easily rebuildable.
Great to hear you are getting it fixed up and that support from Maxwell is still good. That is a great windlass and massively expensive if you buy new. Well worth the effort to fix.
PS: If you happen to need a chain wheel for 3/8 chain I have one. Don't know if it would fit your shaft though.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overhaul