Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 19:15   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Vulcan Anchors by Canada Metal Products

It looks like the Vulcan anchors will be widely available soon. CMP just told me they are trying to get some to me in time for the Miami International Boat Show.

One of them will go on Possum in place of her Delta. Don't know if it'll hold better, but it sure will be pretty!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Vulcan Anchors by Canada Metal Products

pretty. would like to see a comparison with the other anchor types.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:29   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

How will the pricing be compared to the spade?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 14:19   #4

Boat: Island Packet 420

I ordered one of these, so I hope it performs well. I wanted a roll bar anchor, but they won't fit on our bow. I was leaning towards getting a Spade, but I got the Vulcan for almost half the price.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 16:21   #5

Boat: grampian 26

Looking at them on the website they look impressive. The curve in the shank looks like it would be easy to break out when upping anchor but it may require a long scope initially to get a fairly horizontal pull to set it. The early adopters will let the rest of us know I'm sure.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 20:36   #6

Well I got my anchor today, so thought I'd post up a few pictures for everyone to see. I wouldn't count on me getting any pictures of it setting though, the water up here is rather cold, sorry

First impressions are that it seems pretty solid. The tip is pretty sharp, and it looks nice, even in the galvanized version. The weld looks nice and substantial too.

This is the 12 kg (27lbs) version:

Old 19-02-2015, 06:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The fit and finish looks beautiful. Who knew anchors could be pretty?

I got my Vulcan at the boat show">Miami boat show last week. Now I cant find it! It's in with all the stuff we brought back from our booth. It will turn up as all that gets sorted out.

Still waiting for my stock order. It's on the road and should arrive very soon.
Old 19-02-2015, 08:45   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

A lot of money for a hunk of metal. I often wonder how the price is set on anchors, especially the more expensive ones. Does it really cost several hundred dollars to cast a hunk of metal and polish it? Or is the cost in the research and development? Do we pay for a brand name or advertising?

I'm just thinking that this hunk of metal (and others like it) sell for more than a computer or TV set.

Yes I know, peace of mind, but are these anchors three times as good as an equivalent claw anchor? Or any of the other traditional designs? Isn't this a glorified plow anchor at twice the price?
Old 19-02-2015, 08:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A lot of money for a hunk of metal. I often wonder how the price is set on anchors, especially the more expensive ones. Does it really cost several hundred dollars to cast a hunk of metal and polish it? Or is the cost in the research and development? Do we pay for a brand name or advertising?

I'm just thinking that this hunk of metal (and others like it) sell for more than a computer or TV set.

Yes I know, peace of mind, but are these anchors three times as good as an equivalent claw anchor? Or any of the other traditional designs? Isn't this a glorified plow anchor at twice the price?
If you want a cast one you will find the prices on the "Claw" pretty cheap.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:01   #10

I don't believe I could buy any tv or computer for what I paid for my anchor; perhaps for the cost of the stainless version though.

The cost difference between my anchor and an equivalent Delta is less than $100. It is certainly more expensive than a claw anchor though, still the cost of the anchor is insignificant to the cost of the boat (<1% in my case).

From the reading I've done on anchors and testing of them, I'm pretty sure that most people think any of the new generation anchors are significantly superior than the old style anchors. A quality anchor seems like cheap insurance for protecting the boat, plus the peace of mind it provides. Obviously, what constitutes a quality anchor is debatable, but any of the new style anchors seem like a good bet to me. YMMV
Old 19-02-2015, 12:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Pretty. I want the Stainless one.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:15   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Pretty anchor... looked like it will fit on my roller.

My spade so far seems very superior to my old bruce... so yes, spending that money was a worthwhile investment. I'd consider getting one of these as well, but in the 100 pound range. I don't want my boat going anywhere!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:33   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Unless you're a marina queen going cheap on ground tackle is the dumbest thing you can do. It's blowing over thirty right now and I'm down below very comfortable knowing what my 45# Manson Supreme and 3/8 chain can do.
Old 19-02-2015, 13:59   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Unless you're a marina queen going cheap on ground tackle is the dumbest thing you can do. It's blowing over thirty right now and I'm down below very comfortable knowing what my 45# Manson Supreme and 3/8 chain can do.
Well fine but you haven't answered my question. Are you saying that the more money an anchor costs, the better it is? It sounds as if you are.

Please, if you can, answer the questions in my previous post. I don't really care what kind of anchor you have unless you can explain why it's better than another,less expensive anchor.
Old 19-02-2015, 14:05   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I believe that the technical terms for such hardware is "yacht jewelry", due more to the price than it's beauty (unless one springs for mirror polished stainless). Still, it definitely has a nice look to it. Especially the detail, seemingly, paid to the weld (from what we can see of it anyway. And I'll be curious to hear feedback on it's efficacy.

I'm not up to speed on the various anchor tests nowadays, has anyone tried dragging this thing across say, a hard packed, gravel parking lot?

And yeah, I too wonder about the prices on these things, particularly as they "miraculously" cost half as much (or less) once the patent expires. And then, a couple of years later, often enough, the next new generation of anchors hit the market.

Still, sniveling aside, we've got life easy, as compare to when your 3 choices were; a plow, a Danforth, & a Luke/Fisherman.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Canada