Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2011, 18:58   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I recommend you install it somewhere near the bow.

Thanks.. I have been trying to figure out to get it installed under the settee so it would be out of the way...

Yer a pal...

At least I don't just pile chain on top of my anchor and expect it to hold.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:04   #107
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
What can I say... if you're always anchored on a river with tidal currents, you're always in the 1% of exception situations that I mentioned. I don't think it's so hard to understand what I mean...

I don't think crowded anchorages is a good reason to use 2 anchors. We use shorter scope (3:1) or anchor further out or find another anchorage. If all are close together with 2 anchors out, it only takes a minor squall to cause mayhem.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:13   #108

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

For the real cruising sailor, Nick's advice rings true: your primary anchor should be good for all the conditions that you may encounter. The idea of "lunch hook, overnight hook and storm hook" is not just silly, but dangerous for the cruiser. Especially in areas unfamiliar to the skipper, having your very best anchor down all the time makes good sense, for one never knows when the unexpected may happen, and it well may happen when one is off the boat.

With your best anchor down, even the reversing flow situation is not likely to bring you to grief.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 17-02-2011, 19:20   #109

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

For the real cruising sailor, Nick's advice rings true: your primary anchor should be good for all the conditions that you may encounter. The idea of "lunch hook, overnight hook and storm hook" is not just silly, but dangerous for the cruiser. Especially in areas unfamiliar to the skipper, having your very best anchor down all the time makes good sense, for one never knows when the unexpected may happen, and it well may happen when one is off the boat.

With your best anchor down, even the reversing flow situation is not likely to bring you to grief.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz

Double anchors in reversing flow is also about swing...not just breaking out.

To say that its dangerous to use a lunch hook versus your all purpose storm anchor is like saying, all you need in your tool box is a 10 pound sledge...tack, claw, and small ball peen hammers are dangerous...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:24   #110

Nick: You have to know how to use two anchors. For example, in one of my favorite crowded anchorages I anchor behind the entire fleet with the stern very near a shoal. I put out a second anchor on that shoal so when the wind shifts in the middle of the night, like it often does in the middle of the summer, my boat just turns around and hangs on the anchor on the shoal while the rest of the fleet swings together, gets tangled, curses, etc. downwind. Then the whole thing reverses in the morning when the sun comes up and the wind shifts back to the prevailing direction. I have done this hundreds of times in the same location and it works like a charm. Or when I was in the San Blas a bunch of us were in a very tight anchorage that was absolutely gorgeous, but you really needed to limit your swinging room or you would be up on a reef. Using one anchor meant you were going to be too close to one side or the other if the wind switched. A 56-knot Chocosana came through one night with a dramatic wind shift putting several boats on the reef or aground. Our two-anchor set held and kept us off the reef. I have frequently anchored in spectacular places in the Bahamas that require two anchors just to stay in the deep water, even without a lot of wind. I personally don't want to be limited in where I anchor by requiring the use of a single anchor and lots of swinging room.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:27   #111
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
To say that its dangerous to use a lunch hook versus your all purpose storm anchor is like saying, all you need in your tool box is a 10 pound sledge...tack, claw, and small ball peen hammers are dangerous...
I'm sorry but I don't agree at all. You seem to indicate to use the right tool for the right job. Well, the right tool for anchoring is an anchor that will hold your boat period. A lunch hook is nice for a weekend sailer etc. but this is the cruisers forum.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 17-02-2011, 19:42   #112

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm sorry but I don't agree at all. You seem to indicate to use the right tool for the right job. Well, the right tool for anchoring is an anchor that will hold your boat period. A lunch hook is nice for a weekend sailer etc. but this is the cruisers forum.

cheers,
Nick.
excuse me...your right...lunch hooks are for sissies...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:51   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
As I said before, I weathered hurricane force winds on a Fortress.... Granted it was the Everglades (MUD)... It was a FX-23 on a 28' Boat 180° wind switch and never budged.

I have a bronze CQR (about 30#) on my CAL 28, the FX-23, (on the bow) and a knock-off galvy Danforth in the Laz as a stern hook. I have a BIG Bruce in the dock box just in case. I have weathered 6 named storms here in Key West over the years.... some at the dock, some on the hook. Worst damage was a lost Bimini.

Too big an anchor? Never... Unless you want to haul it on deck, then yeah. I have 3 types for different bottoms; all are at LEAST one size beyond the mfg.'s recommendation for my boat size. We see a lot of hurricanes here... I ain't been on the beach yet!
Old 17-02-2011, 19:53   #114

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Before I put out a mooring, used to anchor outside the house with my 20kg Bruce, no problem. If it was going to blow, sometimes I'd tie the stern to the old ferry landing. Granted Pickering Passage, where I anchor, doesn't have much current, very rarely over 3.5 knots, and tidal exchange is never over about 20' or winds over 40-50 knots, but my Bruce has never dragged when set on my 34', 9ton boat.My holding ground is a mixture of sand and gravel. I believe Bruces are a good anchor, at least in my experience. fyi Now if I can just find a 30kg for the new boat.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:55   #115
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
As I said before, I weathered hurricane force winds on a Fortress.... Granted it was the Everglades (MUD)... It was a FX-23 on a 28' Boat 180° wind switch and never budged.
So, you think it turned around while keeping buried in the mud? I can see that work in mud yes.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 17-02-2011, 20:01   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, you think it turned around while keeping buried in the mud? I can see that work in mud yes.

cheers,
Nick.
Yeah.. actually it was quite a beyotch to recover it was so deep! I had to go zero scope, and winch in a little bit every few minutes.... took a couple hours to come up.
Old 17-02-2011, 20:01   #117
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
At least I don't just pile chain on top of my anchor and expect it to hold.
I was hoping you hadn't noticed that.

I've always figured that if an anchor isn't smart enough to set itself....
Old 17-02-2011, 23:25   #118

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Double anchors in reversing flow is also about swing...not just breaking out.

I quite agree that using multiple anchors can be useful in limiting swing.

However, your hammer analogy is not applicable. If you want to carry and use an anchor that you know is not going to hold if the wx goes pear shaped, fine by me as long as you don't anchor near me. You can bang your head all you want, but please don't bang my boat when your lunch hook fails to hold in a squall.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-02-2011, 00:08   #119

I like the hammer analogy. I use a big one every time and have had no problems.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 01:14   #120

Boat: "Aura", a Bruce Robert design, Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowride14 View Post
hmm good to know guys, i'm trying to do this on a budget so i guess i'll keep my eyes open still for a while longer as its in a nice lil slip right now. Just for your reference, I will be anchoring off the coast of vancouver island.
An anchor is not the item to be constrained by budget. Save money elsewhere if you have to. Your anchor is more important than your insurence.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor