About six months ago a few of us here signed up to test the Ultra anchors, gracefully provided by the manufacturer, and compare them with other current
generation anchors we normally use. I saw Panope posted his video report recently, but did not want to contaminate his wonderful thread, hence I am starting this one. Please post your observations on the subject anchor
testing as well as relevant questions and suggestions here.
I finally got to replacing the Rocna
20 with the 46 lb Ultra and so far used it only once over the October 3-4 weekend. As I am planning on cruising locally throughout the winter, I will be adding more observations here over the next few months.
Here is what I observed so far after using the Ultra in a mud bottom of Echo Bay at Sucia Island in San Juan
Archipelago in about 35 feet of water
Setting, unfortunately, was inconclusive, for it was in light wind
and opposing current
conditions, so I could not detect the biting moment. It felt as if it took a little while, maybe 30-40 feet of dragging, before the set happened, but it was just a subjective feeling. Maybe next time.
Holding. Since it was the first time I used the new anchor
, I gave it a moderate scope
releasing 120 feet of chain. It held properly while backing up at 2500 RPM
(45 hp Yanmar
, fixed prop). The wind
, while at anchor, was light, no more than 10 knots. I am sure I will get better winds during the winter.
Breaking up from the bottom took more effort than with the Rocna
. I had to motor
up a little after waiting for about 5 minutes with the bar tight vertical chain. I suppose this is a good sign. The anchor came up clean with only a small trace of mud on the bottom of the fluke. In this anchorage, Rocna always brought up a bucket of mud in its concave scope
So, the initial thoughts are: so far so good. In addition to normal anchoring
routine, I am planning to test it at some point with a short scope, such as 2:1, and also in one particular spot in Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island where I could not set the Rocna due to a very soft mud and weeds combination (it set, and required usual effort breaking it up, but was slowly dragging with the 2500 RPM
application), which was the only one local spot out of about 20 where I anchored in the area which the Rocna did not like. I welcome other suggestions what to try.