Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 09:52   #1

Boat: 1975 Ericson 35
Ultra Anchor

I was at the San Diego boat show and looked at this Ultra anchor. they had 2 buckets one with sand and the other is gravel, they had you pull mini anchor through the boxes to see how well they set and how hard they set. the ultra anchor set faster, held stronger and when spun dug deeper. Does anyone have any experience with this new anchor? is it worth all the money they are asking for it?
jyoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 10:04   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Ultra Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoors View Post
I was at the San Diego boat show and looked at this Ultra anchor. they had 2 buckets one with sand and the other is gravel, they had you pull mini anchor through the boxes to see how well they set and how hard they set. the ultra anchor set faster, held stronger and when spun dug deeper. Does anyone have any experience with this new anchor? is it worth all the money they are asking for it?
It is not so new
You can use a search tool to look for info.
The price is related to the material - it is generally comparable to other stainless steel anchors weight to weight.
If You do not want to pay for SS, they are really comparable alternatives there, performing really well.
Search the forum for Mantus, Rocna, Mason Supreme, Excel, Cobra.

Regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 10:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoors View Post
Is it worth all the money they are asking for it?
Generally I do believe in equation:

pAV = BVB - BVA

Where:
  1. pAV - proper anchor value
  2. BVB - boat value before hitting rocks
  3. BVA - boat value after hitting rocks
Not proper anchor has no value

Best regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 15:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Ultra anchor is a very promising design. It has a lot of the design elements of a good anchor. The steel Spade has proven to be an excellent anchor and the Ultra has managed to incorporate many of its principals as well as some tweaks such as the turned down toe with a slightly less bulky profile. User reports rate it very highly, including some experienced members that have used other new generation anchors. It is guaranteed against bending for life.

There is an anchor test here that included the Ultra:
http://manson-marine.co.nz/Anchor%20...0Ankertest.pdf
(This is in German. I have a copy of an English version, but I cannot find a link to it at the moment). The conclusion for the Ultra was very positive:
"The spade anchors, SPADE and ULTRA, showed no weak point. On each floor they stopped after a few metres, the tractor could not break 800kg".
However, the Manson Supreme and steel Spade were jointly awarded the best for the test above the Ultra. (Rocna and many other anchors were not included). It was not a very comprehensive,well conducted test. I would not put a great deal of emphasis on the result.

I do not place any value on the manufacturers mini anchor sand box test.

I have only seen a few Ultra anchors in action (and one had been modified by cutting off the chain guard) and talked to one of the owners. This is too early to form any meaningful opinion.

If in the market for this sort of anchor the stainless steel Spade is also worth considering. The aluminium Spade does not work as well as its steel counterpart, but the stainless model should match the steel version. The Spade is a very well proven design and is an excellent anchor of known design. Time may show the Ultra works better than the Spade, but I think at this stage it is a little bit of a gamble for such an expensive anchor.

If the concave roll bar anchors fit these are a better choice. Without a lead tip these anchors do not have any problems with regalvanising so a steel version can be used at much lower cost.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 17:20   #5
cruiser

We've had great luck using our 45kg Ultra anchor and swivel. We're at anchor four months of the year in the Med. The Ultra seems to excel in weed and grass if set slowly. It's too bad they're so expensive in the USA, much cheaper over in Europe.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 18:49   #6

Boat: 1975 Ericson 35

I just bought the 35lb one and going to be using it through out the Caribbean. I hope to have great results!
jyoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 19:28   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Congratulations. Let us know how well it works.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 19:42   #8

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I am an older experienced boater sail and power. I have used many anchors including the old standards and new age. I found the manson(ronca almost the same) and spade anchors to be a cut above all the older types including the fortress. This last year on a 34,000 lb 50 ft motor boat I used a SS ultra 60lb unit with their ball swivel and found it to equal or exceed the spade which I rated very highly. The special swivel unit turns the anchor into the proper position to come over the bow roller on retrieval a point where some of the greatest stress occurs on the windless and anchor chain and rode fittings. This swivel unit was designed to address the problems associated with previous designs which tended to fail. I think they have got a winner here of course as with all boating things only time will tell.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 20:37   #9

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Lots of independent and not so independent testing. Go to West Marine, Rocna and others ; Youtube to find video testing and charted results. 10 sailors, 10 anchor recommendations. We carry: Rocna, CQR, Bruce, Fishermans, Danforth. Weights range from 35 to 180#. Generally, bigger is better as long as you can retrieve & store it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor