Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2018, 04:19   #16

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Tying off my anchor rode

Thank you everyone.
And I did do searches both normal and Google and didn’t get what I wanted, so I asked the question.
Which DID give me what I needed, so appreciate the responces......most of them anyhow.
And, it’s 90 of chain and 300’ of rope......but what if it was only 250’ or 800’ of rope/rode/line/anchor line, would it matter in trying to figure out how to secure it to my boat? Didn’t think so.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 05:25   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tying off my anchor rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
My question is: how do you secure your anchor chain inside the anchor box?

I don’t, I just have a knot in the chain to prevent it from going through the windlass. With 300’ of chain, I figure all I need to prevent is a runaway windlass from a stuck relay.
I could attach the chain to the web my forestay is attached to I guess, but if that broke then I’m in real trouble?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 06:12   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
My question is: how do you secure your anchor chain inside the anchor box?
Pretty much any way you can. The objective is to keep the bitter end on the boat, not to take the force of the boat against the rode.

I’ve seen a couple of people lose their whole chain rode overboard when the clutch loosened and the weight of the payed out chain alone took the rest with it.

I think a64’s solution is as good as any, except for emergency situations. My chain end is secured with piece of dynema that will fit through the deck-mounted windlass’ hawsepipe to the anchor locker. That way I can cut it on deck in the unfortunate situation where I might have to abandon the rode in a hurry. A knot in the chain pulled tight down below would be a serious problem for me.
Old 29-04-2018, 06:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
[COLOR="Blue"] the rolling hitch attachment will work well, as the pull is always in one direction: make it with two round turns down towards the anchor, and one above.
That would actually be... wrong. The pull should always be back toward the "two turns". The "two turns" should be made toward the boat, NOT toward the anchor.

Ref: Ashley, #1734, and #1735
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 09.47.39.png
Views:	104
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	168894  
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 07:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t, I just have a knot in the chain to prevent it from going through the windlass. With 300’ of chain, I figure all I need to prevent is a runaway windlass from a stuck relay.
I could attach the chain to the web my forestay is attached to I guess, but if that broke then I’m in real trouble?
The usually recommended seaman-like approach is to attach the chain to the boat with several feet of rope. Long enough that the rope comes up on deck so you could cut it if you needed to in an emergency.

Lots of reasons this might happen, all of them very unlikely, but if you ever NEEDED to get out of a spot NOW and your anchor was fouled....
Old 29-04-2018, 07:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
That would actually be... wrong. The pull should always be back toward the "two turns". The "two turns" should be made toward the boat, NOT toward the anchor.

Ref: Ashley, #1734, and #1735
But does that answer the original question? he did say "cleats" as in plural so I am assuming there are two. So how would this piece of rope attach to both of them.

By chance the previous owner of our yacht solved the problem. We have a 4 foot length of thick rope, about 24mm with two loops in the ends. The loops go over the two deck cleats we have at the bow. In the middle is another loop with an anchor chain hook. Once anchored we set this up and take the load off the anchor winch.

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 07:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
But does that answer the original question? he did say "cleats" as in plural so I am assuming there are two. So how would this piece of rope attach to both of them.

By chance the previous owner of our yacht solved the problem. We have a 4 foot length of thick rope, about 24mm with two loops in the ends. The loops go over the two deck cleats we have at the bow. In the middle is another loop with an anchor chain hook. Once anchored we set this up and take the load off the anchor winch.

Pete
Actually, the original question was about how to attached the rode to the bridle...

4 feet of rope snubber is grossly too short to actually do a job as a snubber. It does take the load off the winch, but a snubber needs to be able to have enough stretch to actually absorb the surges from an anchor.
Old 19-08-2018, 08:12   #23

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Here’s a shot of the bow and the rollers. The bow cleats are hidden behind the staysail but you can just barely see the port one.
If I understand correctly, the bridle will hook to the bow cleats, feed through the guides the dock lines are in, go under the bow rollers and tie or hook to the rope or chain rode. This will take the tension off the rode after the bridle and my rollers.
And I’ll need a really long bridle made out of three strand nylon for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3098D971-DF5B-49A4-9C5A-D249CC30833F.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	175739  
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode