Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2010, 10:14   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Two Individual Windlasses on the Bow, or a Dual Windlass Unit ?

Dreaming and planning for my one day's boat refit, hopefully not too far off now.

Been looking at windlasses at West and online.

I will have a Danforth and a CQR/Bruce/claw anchor on the bow, both with a good bit of chain, and then rode.

Debating on what type of windlass to get that can haul up both anchors.

Install two of the same windlasses side by side.
-From what I have seen two single units are cheaper then one double, PRO
-Twice as many holes and wiring, CON
-If one breaks, the 2nd is still 100% usable, PRO

Or...

Install a double capstan windlass.
-Smaller foot print (or not), PRO-CON
-Less holes and wiring, PRO
-If something breaks, may not be able to use either capstan, CON

Ideas or suggestions on what to get please?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 12:53   #2

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Too many unknowns - type of boat, size of anchors and chain, where and how you anchor, where you might want to anchor in the future...
Just a knee-jerk reaction, but it is difficult to believe that two single drum or gypsy windlasses would be cheaper than a double - same motor and solenoid control? just longer shaft and extra drum.
Windlasses are pretty robust, they don't fail often. But then, of course, I have had one fail from a broken pawl (about a $1 part) so now I carry several spares which I have never had to use (the true effect of insurance). Sometimes the motors overheat. In any event, most have a manual backup so you are not stuck raising the anchor by hand - and back.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 13:14   #3

Boat: Brewer 44
I don't think it is that loaded of a question.

Most manufactures make several models in a series, able to handle different size anchors and chain/rode. If the Acme#50 works well on your boat, then the Acme#100 should work well on my boat. Operation and construction of windlass, not placement and location on given boat.

Most people on this forum are on 30'-50' sailboats, which after-market windlasses do you recommend and which to avoid?

Do you use one windlass for both anchors? Have two? Have a dual windlass unit?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 13:33   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I know that the big boats have dual chain-rode capstains from a single control point and have seem smaller units with a rope gypsy and chain-rode gypsy horizontal units. For us, pulling 400' of 1" chain attached to a 200kg anchor, twice, kind of forces the issue. In my experience, the weight of anchor hanging down or sitting on the bottom far outweighs the weight of the anchor, so maybe a highly regarded anchor with more modest weight may be a consideration.

Depending on the size of your boat and anchoring requirements you may find a dual unit too big for your deck space (dual clutches, dual brakes, transmission). Even with these big dualies we still bring up one chain at a time.

If your secondary anchor doesn't have a lot of chain, you might be happy with a rope capstain to get most of the ground tackle up with power, then have to grunt the rest up. I know of folks with vertical capstains and dual anchor arrangements that seem pleased with the performance as well as aware of the concerns.
Old 15-10-2010, 13:45   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i ahve a formosa 41. i have a lofrans electric windlass on stbd side-- i want a simpson lawrence manual on my port side....backup is good. beats having to haul up way too much chain and a heavy anchor by hand in a bad situation....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 14:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i ahve a formosa 41. i have a lofrans electric windlass on stbd side-- i want a simpson lawrence manual on my port side....backup is good. beats having to haul up way too much chain and a heavy anchor by hand in a bad situation....
Would it not make more sense to have a powerful electric windlass, with a chain gypsy and a rope drum, that can also be manually operated? That way you have your back up with far less clutter and weight on the foredeck.

That's the setup I want, with two rollers and two anchors, with stoppers, so the windlass can pull either anchor.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote