Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2010, 18:17   #1

Trying to Do Things the RIGHT Way, but Can't Find Parts - Help !

I've been attempting to sort out our ground tackle for weeks now, and haven't had much luck. Plenty of phone calls and many broken Aussie websites later, I still don't have a solution. We have 150' 5/16th G4 HT chain, and a Rocna 25KG anchor.

My ideal setup would have the anchor attached to the chain with a high test shackle (like the Columbus McKinnon, red-pin alloy ones), which has at least the same WLL as the chain. I would also like to attach a non-stainless swivel about 2-3 feet further up the chain, as Rocna recommends. We don't have an over-sized end-link, which would make things much easier.

None of the suppliers in Australia carry high test shackles. They only carry up to "Class S". Also, every boat I see in the marina seems to have Chinese galv shackles (far under-rated vs their chain), or stainless gear attached from the anchor to galvanized chain.

I just want to do things the "right" way, and not compromise the strength of our chain.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Gunnebo seems to make nice looking hammerlock connectors and swivels, but their half-links and some other parts don't appear to be galvanized. Are these Gunnebo parts OK to use in saltwater? Their swivel appears to be intended for this purpose, but perhaps not the connecting half-links.

Any ideas that don't involve stainless gear or welding are greatly appreciated! I could order shackles from the US, but they appear to be out of stock. We'd like to get out on the water asap.

Thanks for any advice.
  • The Gunnebo "Coupling Link G" Hammerlock
  • The Gunnebo "SKL" Ball bearing swivel type
  • The Columbus McKinnon Alloy shackle, 3/8" and 2 Ton WLL
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote