Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 16:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Trusting junk?

I dunno, handling all that weight sounds a hassle and just ugly.

One thought is to get an old row boat, fill it with cement, and sink it.

But why not just get a 175 lb Mantus anchor? A whole lot easier to set and should hold pretty well. After a few months it should be well set.

What's not to like?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 16:27   #17

Boat: 1971 Irwin 37cc

Sink 3 large anchors set equally apart in a triangle with a 10:1 scope attach pendant at centre to surface with float. I winter replace float with long line to shore and sink.

John
John Boor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 17:34   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boor View Post
Sink 3 large anchors set equally apart in a triangle with a 10:1 scope attach pendant at centre to surface with float. I winter replace float with long line to shore and sink.

John
This is beginning to sound like a plan. How about 3 of the old 125 lb. Danforth Anchors that they used to anchor sea planes with? Locate them 2nd hand?

Ann
Old 04-03-2015, 17:54   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
This is beginning to sound like a plan. How about 3 of the old 125 lb. Danforth Anchors that they used to anchor sea planes with? Locate them 2nd hand?

Ann

Where have you seen such anchors? I'm not doubting you, but it sounds interesting, like maybe you have found some piece of history, maybe anchors from the old Pan Am flying boats, Clippers?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 18:09   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Where have you seen such anchors? I'm not doubting you, but it sounds interesting, like maybe you have found some piece of history, maybe anchors from the old Pan Am flying boats, Clippers?

Here in Oz they used them for Catalinas on Lake Maquarie, NSW.
Old 04-03-2015, 18:13   #21

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Weld up some heavy plate "flipper" style anchors like are used for mooring heavy rigs. Easily enough done and three would hold really well.

stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 18:57   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have used a concrete drum in the caribbean for 30 years (actually, its from the mid-70's from the previous owner)... the trick is to bury it and a foot or so of chain. You cannot just drop it in the water.

Of course, we would not do this now, the two new ones we have are helix designs.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 19:34   #23

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Just find another old monohull with a lead keel preferably one with a gasoline engine, and then just start the engine, and it will explode and sink, and there you have a mooring weight.

+1
Old 04-03-2015, 19:38   #24

I met a guy in Florida that was building a permanent mooring the easy way. He worked downtown Stuart. He first took a diesel flywheel that he bought for scrap and hooked a 1/2 inch chain around it. Then every night on his way home he would stop at the local mechanics and buy another flywheel for 5 bucks. He would go home to his boat and slide it down his 1/2 inch anchor chain. after about 3 weeks he had a hell of a lot of weight laying on the bottom. There was a mud bottom there so I'm sure it was sunk in the mud for feet. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 20:31   #25

Boat: 44 footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Danforth look alikes are available, you just have to look for the big Trawlers.

Tie Down engineering sells them under the Super Hooker brand.
Dutton-Lainson, is another that goes up to 85lb's.

I've got five Super Hooker #70's, that weigh 85lbs each. They cost less than $400 each here wholesale... Just look for a trawl boat, and ask them where to buy trawler cable, the guys that stock the spools of cable and net bunt have good anchors at a reasonable price, right beside the stabilizer birds and 8D batteries...

I put them on 209A Crosby shackles (Probably won't find them in the same shop, they aren't black iron...), to 30 feet of 3/8 G40 chain, to 1 1/4 nylon spliced to thimbles.

I'd lay three 65's or 70's on 30 feet of chain and nylon or polydacron with the black flec and drop two bow anchors and a stern.

Pick your prevailing wind direction and try to put her sheltered as you can relative to the local wind rolling around the bay.

My Five, ended up holding an 80 footer I'm rebuilding and two 90 foot trawlers when a dolphin pile I was tied to as an extra, snapped off at the waterline during Hurricane Arthur. The eye came over, and clocked 110... 1 anchor bent, 3 inches or so along the shank.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 20:36   #26

Boat: Steel Benford 30 Custom Pilothouse Junk Rigged

Thanks everyone; I knew I would get tons of great answers to that age old question. I really loved Nimblemotors' suggestion. I have just the half sunk, lead keeled boat in mind in the harbor.

The thought of putting our new home out to hang all alone is frightening but if we don't try it we will never know right? I know drums and cement aren't our best options, however, since we will be about 50 miles from the nearest town it is the only option I can be 100% sure will be available. The bottom is in fact feet of the gloopiest mud i have ever had the misfortune to sink to my waist in (not much fun).

Building forms on shore or on deck of our aluminum skiff (provided by the state) could be an option as well. To cut down on the drums rolling around we were told by an old fisherman that he puts rebar spikes through his drums.

We have talked engine blocks and that may be an option as cars make it to Kodiak Island and then never leave. Unfortunately I don't believe train wheels or track will be much of an option as no RR has ever passed anywhere near Kodiak Island that I know of. Cabling to shore may be an option; I know people come into the bay to catch Pink and Coho salmon in the stream at the head, but not more than a handful of boats in the season.

We had also talked about getting a Dor mar or similar pyramid anchor but the shipping alone on a 600# anchor to Kodiak would pay dockage fees for quite a few seasons. I will have to look more into getting an oversize manus or plow type anchor as we need a secondary "bomb proof" setup on the bow anyhow. 175# might be bigger than we want to carry everywhere with us but might be worth the security up here.

This mooring will probably only be used by us this summer; maybe next summer as well but then we are going cruising!
jjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 20:53   #27

Boat: Island Packet 35 #81

I think you are dumping trash in a special place. When you leave take everything with you that you brought.

In addition to that, how are you handling your discharge?

I don't want to jump to a conclusion, but if I was you sound like a trash dumping freeloader.

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 20:59   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
I think you are dumping trash in a special place. When you leave take everything with you that you brought.

In addition to that, how are you handling your discharge?

I don't want to jump to a conclusion, but if I was you sound like a trash dumping freeloader.

DW
I don't want to jump to a conclusion either, but if I was, you sound like an ill informed flag waving ignoramus.

Jim
Old 04-03-2015, 21:25   #29

Boat: Steel Benford 30 Custom Pilothouse Junk Rigged

Just to make sure no one gets the wrong impression of us. We are often called hippies or flower children or tree huggers. We also work for the State Department of Fish and Game in a remote setting and are biologists. We are not looking to leave our mark and will be taking everything we can along with us or back to camp to use for future seasons. That being said we know putting down a mooring will probably leave a mark but we do not own a home and do not wish to build one ever, we recycle as much as possible and hate buying new. And currently we do not have a holding tank so do not use our head (ever hear of wag bags?) In the summers we compost.

Hope this clears the air for most of you. I know some people will still be upset with our idea to put in a mooring but hopefully we can strike a happy balance
jjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 21:48   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Deep soft mud almost screams for a helical mooring. They are relatively light and cheap, and while commercial ones are available it isn't difficult to make them locally if you have some decent steel rod and metal plate. The holding power relative to a dead weight anchor is incredible.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote