Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2015, 08:39   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Too Much Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Another thing to consider is that you need less scope in deeper water. Read the Rocna knowledge guide and other sources about this. I think 3:1 is ok in 15 meters of water and good bottom, in not stormy conditions, equivalent to something like 5:1 in 5 meters of water.
Only have had a anchor drag problem 1 time and it was at a deep anchorage when a gale unexpectedly developed. I'm trainable so this location is the basis of why I currently have the 350' of chain, which still doesn't get me 5:1 when the tide is factored in, but that is all the room in there is in the locker.
Old 17-04-2015, 09:30   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Only have had a anchor drag problem 1 time and it was at a deep anchorage when a gale unexpectedly developed. I'm trainable so this location is the basis of why I currently have the 350' of chain, which still doesn't get me 5:1 when the tide is factored in, but that is all the room in there is in the locker.
Only you can decide on the tradeoff of more chain versus sailing performance versus wet deck.

If you split your chain, you can keep the other half in the bilge and reconnect it in case of some really dire necessity. A bit of a PITA but doable.

You can also add as much rope rode to the end of the chain as you want. In a really deep anchorage, I don't think it's much of a problem to use rope after the first 60 meters of chain -- it will not touch the bottom in any kind of wind.

I'm planning to do both -- add 100 meters of rope (which can double for trailing warps in case of need), and also keep the cut off part of the chain in the bilge.

I will use polyester (not nylon) octoplait for the rope rode which does not lose its strength when wet like nylong does.

YMMV!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 10:10   #33

I started with 60m of 10mm and then added 30m more. As the original 60 was rusting pretty bad, this winter I decided to replace the whole chain with 100m of 8mm G7.

The 8mm G7 chain is stronger than 10mm G3 and the 100m weighs about the same as the original 60m.

So now I have extra scope with no weight penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-04-2015, 11:30   #34

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I started with 60m of 10mm and then added 30m more. As the original 60 was rusting pretty bad, this winter I decided to replace the whole chain with 100m of 8mm G7.

The 8mm G7 chain is stronger than 10mm G3 and the 100m weighs about the same as the original 60m.

So now I have extra scope with no weight penalty
G7 is the same as grade 70?

That's a great idea but how do you have managed to run on a windlass for 10mm, 8 mm chain? That would not have worked on my boat. What have you done to the windlass?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 11:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

That's a great idea but how do you have managed to run on a windlass for 10mm, 8 mm chain? That would not have worked on my boat. What have you done to the windlass?

The winter plan actually started with me planning to replace the windlass, so changing chain was no issue.

Yes, G7 is Maggi's grade 70

Next step is to upgrade my 16kg Delta, probably to a 20 or 25kg Spade or a Rocna Vulcan. Just need to get back on board with a tape measure

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-04-2015, 04:33   #36

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

Most windlasses can be configured to work with several different sizes of chain, although it entails swapping out a part or three, typically. Although the cost isn't usually substantial. But you'd need to check with the manufacturer first, to see if such a swap is possible with your make & model of windlass. That, or find an aftermarket wildcat/gypsy which will let you do the swap in chain sizes.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote