Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 04:40   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Titan/Rocna Flip Swivel

Titan Marine have recently released a flip swivel designed specifically for Rocna anchors (but I presume it will work with many other brands).

Flip swivels are designed to rotate the anchor around the correct way as the anchor is retrevieved over the bow roller.

I not seen one so I have no idea if it is any good.

It looks like it works in a similar way to the Ultra flip swivel, but without the ball and socket joint. Titan claim it is tested to exceed the working load and breaking strength of the G40 chain in a straight pull and importantly will also do this with a side load.

There are 5 models suitable for anchors from 9-40kg. It is stainless steel. The grade is not specified, but it is claimed to be stronger and more corrosion resistant than 316, so it is perhaps one of the duplex stainless steels.

Hopefully it will be less expensive than the Ultra flip swivel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3991CB0F-27C2-4B5A-987A-AEE9EABC0CA3.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	197118  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:39   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Titan/Rocna Flip Swivel

Do a lot of sailors actually have the need for a swivel? Your photo of the swivel broken in two laying on the bottom next to an anchor was enough to convince me that I don't ever want one. Plus, my anchor always rotates the right way when it hits the bow roller.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Plus, my anchor always rotates the right way when it hits the bow roller.
Yes mine too, but unfortunately some bow rollers will not do this.

There are plenty of other ways to align the anchor. My favourite is watch the spin of the anchor and time the speed of retrieval, so that the anchor arrives at the bow roller the right way. This is harder than it sounds.

The other common technique is to motor slowly and use the water pressure to spin the anchor the right way. This usually in reverse for a concave anchor.

The main use of a flip swivel is for small power boats where the anchor is typically retrieved while leaning out of the front hatch. The other application is large power boats that typical retrieve the anchor from the flybridge. In both these cases it is tough to see what the anchor is doing, or do much to spin it the right way around if your bow roller does not do this.

However every boat needs to connect the anchor to the chain in some way. Ideally this would be stronger than the chain in all cases, be secure (mousing), rotate to remove twists in the chain, and align the anchor the right way.

It is vital that the connection cannot jam and cause an unfair lead especially with wind/tide reversals.

It is also important that the connection is reasonably streamlined so the anchor shank burial is not inhibited. This also means there is nothing to catch on the the edges of the bow roller or forestay etc. The anchor winch can exert a great deal of force and anything that can catch can be dangerous.

I don’t think this new swivel ticks all the boxes, but it nice to have options.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:02   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I use the Wichard Allen head shackle in order to not catch the pin on anything. I had actually tried your method of cutting off the wings of the pin but it really didn't work well - I'm simply not that good at precision cutting and drilling. I don't think the shackle is as strong as the chain but it's really close and probably a moot point as the working load is over 2000 kg and breaking is 6000. If we hit that point, I'm in deep dodo anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-WICHARD-1346-0002.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	197125  
Old 03-08-2019, 09:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Last year I held them in my hands and are everything they claim to be. Most importantly they do meet the side and backwards loading specifications matching G43 chain. I also had a look at some broken or tested samples, impressive. Well designed and manufactered. I don't know of any other swivel that will meet these numbers.
CMP /Titan doesn't list what they actually break at but do provide WLL. G43 requires WLL /UBS = 3:1. Alloy or high strength shackles on the other hand to conform WLL/UBS = 4.5:1 (metric tons) or 5:1 (short tons) but that is not what they claim. It matches G43 and that's good enough for me to endorse. In fact I need one right now for a particularly narrow larger vessel bow roller.

Noelex, I didn't see any area of concern regarding catching, its slender and tapered.
It does tick all the boxes except being less expensive than the Ultra, somehow I doubt that. I'd pay extra for a swivel that will rotate and actually satisfy more than just a linear pull spec requirement.
Chris
Old 03-08-2019, 09:29   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

It looks like the “swivel” is just captured by the head of a screw pin. At least it looks like a countersunk Allen head screw in the picture. Is there a real bearing in there somewhere?

I never understood the need for a swivel. Our spade always lands pointy end down once it comes over the roller. Maybe some anchors are not weighted properly like a spade. The same “pointy end down” feature is helpful for rapid setting on the seabed too.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31   #7

I’ve always been anti swivel, but I recently purchased a Mantus swivel I’m going to try. I use 120’ of chain, with 300’ of line. Several times a season I have to disconnect the chain from the line to get all the hockles out of the line. I’m going to install the swivel between the chain and line, so the majority of time the swivel won’t be in the water.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Noelex, I didn't see any area of concern regarding catching, its slender and tapered.
It does tick all the boxes except being less expensive than the Ultra, somehow I doubt that. I'd pay extra for a swivel that will rotate and actually satisfy more than just a linear pull spec requirement.
Chris
That is great news.

It is nice to have a first hand report. I have only seen the photos.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:38   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I never understood the need for a swivel. Our spade always lands pointy end down once it comes over the roller.
The Spade is more likely than the roll bar anchors to come up the right way around.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:40   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

transmitterdan, that's a good question. I just went thru my pics of the prototypes and don't see any evidence of a bearing but maybe. The finished product looks a little different than what I was holding and promised not to share the pics.
Ill ask them a few more questions as I require additional dimensions. It needs to fit a nice shiny stainless Excel.

Each situation is different and my latest...I also agree there shouldn't be a need for the swivel if the anchor is designed/ balanced to roll over like the Spade or Excel, many don't. Tight chain groove in the roller will force the anchor to properly orientate as its hanging near the water. Unfortunately many bow rollers are poorly designed. This particular 45t MV stainless Excel installation is one of those as the roller webs/ roller are ridiculously narrow, tiny roller diameter with no groove. If the anchor ever attempted roll over while halfway up the roller the anchor will jam hard. They did that with their old anchor and was a major issue. I have a Flip Link on it now and that works flawlessly. However after I rebuild the entire bow roller this winter that Flip Link may lock into the new roller chain groove and not rotate as designed. A larger or thicker Flip Link wont fit between the webs.
Maybe this swivel will solve something..
Chris

Tags
rocna