Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:48   #16

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Thousands of "orphan" Danforth anchors.

typical news story....no real info and no concept of the situation. someone complained..the gov't is now looking into it... the chance that anyone thinks it's economical to retrieve those anchors have never been involved with that type of operation. as long as they are not a navigational hazard...why spend any money on locating, salvaging them???? at several hundred dollars an hour for sidescan sonar, unless they have the exact locations...the recovery effort (beginnings) are just a "make me feel good" phase for some whiner.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 13:18   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Didn't say anything about an anchor buoy, talked about a retrieval line buoy under the surface so you can grab it with a boat hook. Coil the line with slip knot a little tug and up it pops. Been used by local fishermen for over 100 yrs according to grandfather.
In a crowded anchorage, someone's still going to get it their prop, especially if they can't see it.
A retrieval line should run along with the anchor rode and be attached to the boat until one is ready to aweigh. Retrieval is best done before any real strain (the winch) is put on the hook.
Old 06-03-2011, 14:01   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
typical news story....no real info and no concept of the situation. someone complained..the gov't is now looking into it... the chance that anyone thinks it's economical to retrieve those anchors have never been involved with that type of operation. as long as they are not a navigational hazard...why spend any money on locating, salvaging them???? at several hundred dollars an hour for sidescan sonar, unless they have the exact locations...the recovery effort (beginnings) are just a "make me feel good" phase for some whiner.

Yep.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 14:27   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Its insanity and reminds me of that great quote by Will Rogers: "If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 14:49   #20

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It does sound like a near-impossible task, but imagine your feelings as a commercial fisherman if you were constantly snagging this mess of stuff on the bottom and it was your living on the line. Even a fairly small Danforth anchor could probably bring a bottom trawl to a grinding halt and/or do significant damage to the nets. My guess is that the Coast Guard will drag some of the most heavily covered areas and get the easy to find ones, then leave the rest to mother nature and time. They will make a reasonable effort and then move on.
Old 06-03-2011, 15:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It does sound like a near-impossible task, but imagine your feelings as a commercial fisherman if you were constantly snagging this mess of stuff on the bottom and it was your living on the line. Even a fairly small Danforth anchor could probably bring a bottom trawl to a grinding halt and/or do significant damage to the nets. My guess is that the Coast Guard will drag some of the most heavily covered areas and get the easy to find ones, then leave the rest to mother nature and time. They will make a reasonable effort and then move on.
Reasonable effort???? Unless they have GPS WAAS positions for every anchor...it's fruitless...I work in salvage and marine construction...even a few feet difference between reported and actual location is the difference between minutes and days searching. having worked and managed oil spills...the probability that anyone recorded the exact location of those anchors is suspect...if they did..great...that could be a first and a new great era of oil spill response.

plus the USCG will not drag..they aren't set up for it...so it will be nothing more than smoke and mirrors that someone unfortunately has to pay for....ie...more high priced contractors to something that isn't really needed..just a few draining the coffers of the many.

Plus...if I were a commercial fisherman...I would just sit back, have a beer while writing a claim to BP.
Old 06-03-2011, 15:31   #22

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You may very well be right. Here's another article about the issue that implies they are experimenting with techniques to raise the anchors. BP is going to pay for the removal.
Old 06-03-2011, 15:49   #23

What they need is a huge magnet. That way they can just locate the object with sonar, drop the magnet and retrieve whatever it may be. Who knows, they might even find my keys.
Old 06-03-2011, 15:51   #24

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I once read a story about a lady who chartered a boat in the Caribbean. After 3 days she called the charter company to ask for some more anchors. They stated that they had sent her out with three anchors and that it should be plenty. She said that they had already been out for 3 nights and planned to stay out for 3 more so they needed 3 more anchors!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 17:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
You may very well be right. Here's another article about the issue that implies they are experimenting with techniques to raise the anchors. BP is going to pay for the removal.

Sounds like formal lip service to me....yeah...a couple tests...then practical application...just to satisfy the fishermen...give it awhile...throw some bucks at the biggest squeaky wheels and we all will move on after 6 months or so...
Old 06-03-2011, 17:53   #26

Quote:
Didn't say anything about an anchor buoy, talked about a retrieval line buoy under the surface so you can grab it with a boat hook. Coil the line with slip knot a little tug and up it pops. Been used by local fishermen for over 100 yrs according to grandfather.
It's just a little complicated for me. Under the surface with a boat hook means you need to quickly tie a line with a float/loop that will stay submerged at different depths (tidal variant). Anything that a boat hook can grab another vessel's prop will be able to suck in as well.

Not saying it isn't possible or a good idea; I just don't think it would work in my world.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 18:23   #27

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

When it's rigged up right the float is within 2-3' of the bottom in 10-15' of water. Simple to rig and has never been hit by anyone. Deeper water it floats higher.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 18:25   #28

I wouldn't touch that one with a 10' pole.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:13   #29

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
When it's rigged up right the float is within 2-3' of the bottom in 10-15' of water. Simple to rig and has never been hit by anyone. Deeper water it floats higher.
I know a few knots but not that one.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:26   #30

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams

It's just a little complicated for me. Under the surface with a boat hook means you need to quickly tie a line with a float/loop that will stay submerged at different depths (tidal variant). Anything that a boat hook can grab another vessel's prop will be able to suck in as well.

Not saying it isn't possible or a good idea; I just don't think it would work in my world

It didn't work out so well for me either. The few times I tried it, one the anchor buried soo deep that I couldn't pull it with the trip line, and I was afraid to winch it because I used a lighter line. So I ended up pulling from the main line anyway. The only time I lost an anchor I was anchoring in an emergency, and didn't have time for niceties, just cleat it and kick it overboard. and then I couldn't get it back up and was in a hurry, so I made the decision the boat is worth more than a $500.00 anchor, and cut it loose. I thought of bouying it and coming back with a diver later, but it was in a channel and would most likely have ended up in someones prop.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor