Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 11:28   #76

Re: Thoughts on Stainless Steel Anchor Chain?

Slightly off topic: I hope to salvage some bronze chain from sunk sisterships of mine. 5/8" studlink stuff. If I am lucky, I will be able to get an anchor or 2 too.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:27   #77

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

I would choose quality hot-dipped galvanized chain over stainless steel anchor chain for almost any and every possible use EVEN if it was the same price as quality galvanized chain. My reason is that I do not trust SS for long-term use due to:

1) primarily to risk of (and potential consequences of...) crevice corrosion and

2) also it is well worth trying to avoid dissimilar metals/galvanic corrosion (so anchor and shackle should also be same grade of stainless steel, and it is worth noting to make sure you can get a shackle with a similar strength rating to the chain..), and
3) Tendency of SS to "work-harden" which in the case of an anchor chain is not a property that you want...

Also, as a side note I saw an earlier post about the importance of having the last part of the rode entering the boat be line as opposed to chain, and they are absolutely correct to stress the importance of shock absorption between the anchor and boat. With that said, personally I like to sleep well on anchor regardless of what the weather may hold so (for context, in my case anchoring a 40' catamaran) so I almost always have chain going all the way into my boat and secured both at the windless and the very end of the chain to the chain locker (BUT the critically important detail is that after securing a nylon bridle to the chain I simply let out enough slack chain so that all the anchoring loads are going to the bridle and there is simply extra chain hanging down between the nylon bridle/chain attachment point and the chain going to the windless gypsy/chain locker). The only downside of this way is that you need to have A LOT of chain to anchor many places relative to a short length of chain and a nylon rode (but peace of mind and safety are worth it to me so even though I am a weight obsessed catamaran owner my primary anchor, a 65lb spade anchor, is attached to 400 continuous feet of 3/8" BBB (even though I don't have my boat set up this way, for a similar size boat I would recommend domestic 5/16" hot-dip galvanized high-test chain over 3/8" BBB chain any day, but I was unable to get gypsies for my windlass to match the current 5/16" domestic high-test chains..).
Old 22-01-2021, 12:42   #78

I doubt that work-hardening would be a cause for concern unless there is continuous snatching, the elimination of which is a large part of using chain in the first place. However, stainless just isn't good for underwater as it depends on oxygen to protect itself. Even 316, when scratched, will corrode if it isn't exposed to a reasonable high O2 environment which water isn't. Galvanic erosion can be reduced by electrically isolating the stainless from non-stainless, possibly with one of the new dynema loopy things. Stainless rigging, on the other hand, DOES work harden, but scratches DO protect themselves.
Old 22-01-2021, 13:22   #79

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...u74cSkGCgRwJBA
Old 22-01-2021, 13:50   #80

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Stainless steel tends to work harden. Hardness= Brittleness.
It breaks suddenly, on micro fractures, It looks nice, but that's it.
Better stick with hot dipped steel.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:52   #81

Boat: Pacific Seacraft voyager 40, Toda

Interesting thread. I have considered SS chain for my Pacific Seacraft 40. I too had some trouble with the chain stacking, but found that shortening the spurling made all the difference. My next concern was corrosion of the chain that was deep in the locker and rarely was deployed. I found a solution which others might find of value. Every year I haul the entire chain out of the locker and spread it on the hard for inspection. A few years ago I started to treat the chain by dipping it in a bucket filled with a mixture of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and japan drier. I hang it in the sun to dry for a day, then re-stow it. The corrosion has ceased and the chain remains rust free year after year.
toda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 19:26   #82

Can’t give u a bunch of data like all these other smart CF guys do. Bought 80m of 3/8” SS chain in Bali about 6 years ago for $25/m (west Marine was $25/ft). I was tired of always looking for a regalv shop in SE Asia. Is the chain made in China; probably so, but isn’t everything made there now? Ask Walmart...

Anyway, my ss chain NEVER stacks like my galv chain always did. I do have a slight slope aft on my chain locker bottom & no pipe going into the locker, both which help with allowing the chain to settle around in the locker. The slickness of the SS helps too. I also don’t experience much growth on the chain, even when anchored for a few weeks in tropic bottoms of sand, coral or mangrove mud. Love not having any rust!
Evan on cat JAVA
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 00:44   #83

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toda View Post
Interesting thread. I have considered SS chain for my Pacific Seacraft 40. I too had some trouble with the chain stacking, but found that shortening the spurling made all the difference. My next concern was corrosion of the chain that was deep in the locker and rarely was deployed. I found a solution which others might find of value. Every year I haul the entire chain out of the locker and spread it on the hard for inspection. A few years ago I started to treat the chain by dipping it in a bucket filled with a mixture of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and japan drier. I hang it in the sun to dry for a day, then re-stow it. The corrosion has ceased and the chain remains rust free year after year.
fish oil is great as well

don't forget to end for end your chain every couple if years too

cheers,
Old 24-01-2021, 11:50   #84

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
fish oil is great as well

don't forget to end for end your chain every couple if years too

cheers,
Worst advice ever IMHO

We cruise full time and anchor daily and took that advice.
What we ended up with was clean chain coming out followed by rusty chain coming out and staining the decks.
Ditched the chain after 2 years and replaced.

Now we have 2+ year old chain that has not been end for ended.
Worn chain with light surface rust is cleaned daily dragging through sand and mud and what is left in locker has no signs of rust.
Decks are clean
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, stainless chain, stainless rode, stainless steel