Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
The Rocna Experience

My intent is to share real-life experiences with the Rocna anchor in this thread. Please do NOT use this one to debate the merits / disadvantages of one anchor as compared to another, as there are numerous threads already debating that topic.

So let me be first (my thread - I get to go first ) to share my experience:

Purchase: US suppliers seem to be scarce. I called the Vancouver distributor and was told that they now have an east-coast supplier. Azure Marine in Pembrooke Pines (Miami) Florida. Turns out that Azure Marine is not a brick-and-mortar operation but is a web-based storefront. Having said that, they were a pleasure to deal with and kept me well informed of my order status, etc. They also allow pick-up from their warehouse if you are local and wish to avoid shipping charges. So IMO - thumbs up for this supplier.

Size / Quality: I ordered a Rocna 20kg for our Manta 42 catamaran. I was satisfied with the anchor's construction. Nothing to go ga-ga over but it is a well-made piece of galvanized metal. Its design fits into my bow roller with no problems and the tip of the blade is a couple of inches away from the fiberglass when fully housed (hawsed actually).

Performance:
- Set: I've anchored about 8 times now in mainly mud bottom conditions. It has ALWAYS set for me the first time, but is sensitive to short-scope. I have a tendancy to set short scope first, knowing that paying out the extra 20ft of my bridle will get me within the desired 5 - 7 times water depth scope. (Yes I have been in shallow water anchorages). I'm learning to let out a bit more initially now as I get used to my ground tackle & boat behavior. Anyway, once this thing is set I have never seen it budge.

- Veering: We anchored ahead of a frontal system on at least 2 occasions. We swung about 270 deg the first time, and 190 deg the second. Winds kicked up to 25 - 30 knots. I never saw the anchor give up its hold and reset. I should also say I have an all-chain rhode of 5/16 chain.

- Retrieval: We have a Lighthouse 1501 windlass. Twice now I've had to really take a strain to break free, and in my mind that's a good thing. Nothing outrageous, but it takes a lot more to break the Rocna free as compared to the Fortress FX-37 I had been using.

Clean-Up: Since it digs in so well, you might imagine that it comes up dirty - and it does. Lucky me with a broken wash-down pump..... One minor gripe is the the ends of the "rollbar" get packed with mud and take a strong water stream to clear.

I know this does not represent a lot of experience with this anchor as of yet, but so far I am happy with my purchase. I'm just a consumer and have no financial interest in either Rocna or Azure Marine.

Hope this info is useful to others. I also hope that other Rocna owners can post their experiences in this thread.

Happy sailing... err, Anchoring!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:01   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Do you know if it was one of the Rocna's made in China?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:07   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
One word of caution on the Rocna's--they hook up so fast, you should have your windlass on free spool or be virtually motionless. It takes one to three seconds for this anchor to hook up like you are bolted to a concrete pier. My CQR never gave that kind of secure feeling.

I have the Rocna 33kg (77lb) on a 34,000 boat.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 18:17   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Mark,

I guess that I don't need the 20kg anchor for my "to be" Gemini like some suggest if your Manta is OK with it.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Really not sure but I have heard that they off-shored all of their production? I'd check it for the infamous "MIC" stamping but it's buried in the mud at the moment
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Mark,
I guess that I don't need the 20kg anchor for my "to be" Gemini like some suggest if your Manta is OK with it.
I would agree if your intent is to use it as the pimary anchor. As a storm anchor you may want the 20kg. But on the other hand, 20kg is a big hit to the weight budget on a Gemini....
Old 11-04-2009, 15:35   #7
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
I would agree if your intent is to use it as the pimary anchor. As a storm anchor you may want the 20kg.....
Although a 15 kg anchor would be enough for a 40’ Monohull, for a catamaran (more windage) I fully agree with the choice of a 20 kg anchor as the primary one.

João
Old 11-04-2009, 16:13   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post
Although a 15 kg anchor would be enough for a 40’ Monohull, for a catamaran (more windage) I fully agree with the choice of a 20 kg anchor as the primary one.

João
Which catamaran?

The Manta is 16,5000 lbs. (and sticks up higher)
The Gemini is 9,000 lbs
Old 11-04-2009, 16:43   #9
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Which catamaran?
The Manta is 16,5000 lbs. (and sticks up higher)
The Gemini is 9,000 lbs
The Manta is 16,5000 lbs. (and sticks up higher) = 7,5 t
The Gemini is 9,000 lbs = 4T

Following the Rocna Sizing guide, for a 40’ / 7,5t monohull - the 20 kg anchor is suggested – then for a Cat, the 25 kg will be better adapted

– for a 40’ / 6t monohull, they suggest a 15 kg anchor – as the Gemini is only 4t, I will not suggest one size up, the 15 kg should be OK

João
Old 11-04-2009, 16:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post
The Manta is 16,5000 lbs. (and sticks up higher) = 7,5 t
The Gemini is 9,000 lbs = 4T

Following the Rocna Sizing guide, for a 40’ / 7,5t monohull - the 20 kg anchor is suggested – then for a Cat, the 25 kg will be better adapted

– for a 40’ / 6t monohull, they suggest a 15 kg anchor – as the Gemini is only 4t, I will not suggest one size up, the 15 kg should be OK

João

Thanks, that is what I ended up with too.

I am in Florida and if I do get the Gemini I will be local West Coast and Keys for a while. Probably a long while...........
Old 11-04-2009, 16:55   #11

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I have a 25 kg Rocna on my 17,000#(loaded) , 41' Mainecat. I'm quite happy with mine but on principle, would go to a 30 kg perhaps in the future although I might then run into a problem fitting it on my existing roller. Either way, I sleep well!
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:23   #12
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
I have a 25 kg Rocna on my 17,000#(loaded) , 41' Mainecat. would go to a 30 kg perhaps in the future although I might then run into a problem fitting it on my existing roller.
Don’t oversize too much!

- First just because the « new gen » anchors are much more efficient.
- Weight for weight, they are also much bigger,
- And I know boats which have problems with their windlass... to weak to retrieve the big oversized anchor...

João
Old 12-04-2009, 05:33   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
We're probably between 18K and 19K, loaded, on my St. Francis 44 and went with the Rocna 30kg. It definitely is a big anchor and there have been a few times when it was loaded up with mud that the Lofrans Tigre really had to work to pull it in, but it always has. (Just a little reminder -- follow the maintenance recommendations for your windlass and don't omit checking the electrical connections!)

After a year and a half with the Rocna, we've been very pleased. It does set quickly and with one exception (when inadvertently putting it right on top of thick grass), it penetrates such that the only thing showing is the top of the shank and roll bar.

Breaking it free has usually been pretty easy -- just bring in all the chain until you're right on top of it, then use the boat to nudge it in the direction opposite to where it was set. Ours has always popped right up and then we can finish bringing it in.

One of the best purchases we've made for the boat.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Turns out mine is made in Canada.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
My experience

I have had a Rocna for about a year now. Mine was made in Canada. It is 15kg on a 33 foot 13,000lb monohull. I have been sailing for 30 years and have owned Bruce, CQR, Danforth, Delta, and Fortress anchors. The Rocna is by far the best anchor I have ever used. Sets fast first time every time and has never dragged or failed in any way.
The Rocna is attached to 150ft of 5/16 HT chain and 250ft of 5/8 nylon three strand. I use a Simla/Lewmar vertical manual windlass. I have a 22 Delta and a 16 Fortress on board for back up. The Delta and the Fortress are both brand new and it is likely that I will never use them.
I strongly and without hesitation recomend the Rocna.
Liam.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna