Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 15:35   #136

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Rocna dimensions? Here you go

http://www.rocna.com/distributable/r...dimensions.pdf
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 15:39   #137

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
THANK YOU!!!

Where on earth was it linked from?!?!?
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 16:21   #138
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Chinese Rocnas might not be so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
At the Seattle Boat Show, Mark had examples of the NZ and China product. The China product looks every bit as good as the NZ.
I actually have one of the Made-in-Canada Rocnas and it appears to have been welded by the only kid in all of Canada ever to have flunked out of metal shop.

Holds better than anything else I've ever owned, however. Just a shame, aesthetically, they couldn't get the bail on straight.
Old 05-02-2010, 16:27   #139

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post
THANK YOU!!!

Where on earth was it linked from?!?!?

I googled the words rocna dimensions and there it was. I got a rocna last year so i remembered how i got there.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 16:34   #140

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I googled the words rocna dimensions and there it was. I got a rocna last year so i remembered how i got there.
Ahh, now I see it, it's actually linked off an article on CF - I glossed over it and went to all the rocna.com links thinking there would be something direct.

Thanks agin, I'm now dimensioning away....
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 13:56   #141

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
We have a Rocna 25 on our 38 foot, 20,000 lb boat. We are very happy with it. We have had it about a year and anchored 25 - 30 times with it along the Florida Panhandle mostly in mud. It replaced a 20kg Bruce. I understand that the Rocna is bigger and heavier than the Bruce, but the bottom line is there is no question that the Rocna sets and holds better. Stows easily on the same roller the Bruce was on. Only gripe is it brings up a lot of mud.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 15:02   #142

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Glad to hear all the positive feedback about the Rocna. I wanted one for my primary but didn't like the modifications that would have to be made to accomodate the rollbar on the bowsprit. I ended up getting a Spade S120 (55lbs) for my primary since it sits on the roller just fine. Still wanted a Rocna though... I just ordered a 15kg two piece stowable Rocna as a secondary to replace my 35lb CQR. Rocna approaches this design by having the shank insert from the bottom and is shaped so that it can't pull through. There is a non load bearing bolt on the underside that holds it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stowable.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	13078   Click image for larger version

Name:	stowable2x.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	13080  

svbellastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:47   #143

Boat: CS 36t
svbellastar,

Who carries the two piece Rocna now? I don't need another Rocna at this point but I could see it being really handy in the future. I didn't realize that they were already available. Thanks.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 19:06   #144

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Where is the best price for a Rocna 15, delivered to me?

WM ~ 500
Boat US ~ 550

I am not going to the Miami show.
????
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 22:20   #145

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Klem, I'm not sure if they're generally available just yet. I emailed Rocna (asking how the anchor would perform if I cut off the rollbar, lol) and from that exchange they said I should consider the stowable. They referred me to Suncoast Marine to inquire about purchasing.
info@suncoastmarine.ca
Turns out the president of Suncoast Marine was at the Seattle Boat Show so I got to talk to him personally. He mentioned he was getting a couple stowables in next month and offered to sell me one. I think they're going to be about $75 more than the fixed shank version.
I also have a PDF brochure for the Rocna stowable, but it's 6MB so too big to post. Shoot me an email if you want a copy.
svbellastar@gmail.com
svbellastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 08:04   #146

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Dear Mr _____

Thank you for your comments and we understand your concerns.

Holdfast Anchors, manufacturers of Rocna Super High Holding Power (SHHP) anchors, has noted the challenges experienced by some anchor manufacturers during the casting process and, to the best of our knowledge, it was the imitation Bruce anchors that had experienced issues to which you refer.

Holdfast therefore insisted that RINA pay particular attention to this aspect of anchor manufacturing as part of our pending factory and manufacturing process certification, which we expect to announce soon.

As part of RINA’s certification process at our new purpose built Chinese facility, blade material used in the casting process now closely matches the material of the shank for the first time. This is a major improvement, giving a yield strength over 200% greater than was achieved by our old manufacturing facilities in New Zealand and Canada which used the fabrication process. In addition, the composition of the metal used in the Chinese facility also provides significantly improved ‘elongation’ for better anchor wear and durability.

All welds are x-rayed as part of a stringent quality control process and each anchor goes through a rigorous shatter test.

Rocna’s SHHP Type Approval, awarded by RINA late last year, and announced at METS 2009, Amsterdam, in December, reflects this strength improvement.

We trust that this overcomes your concerns and that you remain a happy Rocna fan, we certainly appreciate your support.

Regards,
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 20:21   #147

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Dear Mr _____

Thank you for your comments and we understand your concerns.

Holdfast Anchors, manufacturers of Rocna Super High Holding Power (SHHP) anchors, has noted the challenges experienced by some anchor manufacturers during the casting process and, to the best of our knowledge, it was the imitation Bruce anchors that had experienced issues to which you refer.

Holdfast therefore insisted that RINA pay particular attention to this aspect of anchor manufacturing as part of our pending factory and manufacturing process certification, which we expect to announce soon.

As part of RINA’s certification process at our new purpose built Chinese facility, blade material used in the casting process now closely matches the material of the shank for the first time. This is a major improvement, giving a yield strength over 200% greater than was achieved by our old manufacturing facilities in New Zealand and Canada which used the fabrication process. In addition, the composition of the metal used in the Chinese facility also provides significantly improved ‘elongation’ for better anchor wear and durability.

All welds are x-rayed as part of a stringent quality control process and each anchor goes through a rigorous shatter test.

Rocna’s SHHP Type Approval, awarded by RINA late last year, and announced at METS 2009, Amsterdam, in December, reflects this strength improvement.

We trust that this overcomes your concerns and that you remain a happy Rocna fan, we certainly appreciate your support.

Regards,
If we buy one now, how do we know it is one of the "new" "better" ones?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 07:22   #148

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
The new anchors have the name cast into the back underside of the blade.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 07:36   #149

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
My issue with anything comming out of China is the material in which it is made of.. Even tho the first products might pass all testing, it seems strange materials end up being dumped into the process of the building products that give the same test results but are not of the origional designs.. I found rececently in an anval I purchased from a company with a good reputation that is now having the products built in China.. I was working a piece of sheet metal on the horn of the anval and it broke off.. when I returned it, they're only comment was to offer me a replacement.. when a close inspection was done of the anval, the plate on the top was steel but the body was pored of cheep slag.. Just another way for them to screw you over..
China has NO quality control on products and it wouldnt surprise me in the least if the products they export have left over parts ground up in the mix from old Nuks or from radiation desposed pieces..
And the worst part, they dont care....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 08:58   #150

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Vicious cycle...

It's really a vicous cycle and we see it occur time and again.

Someone innovates or invents a really great product. Word gets out and demand grows. Large national retailers also see the demand and want to cash in on it.
Large national retailer negotiates with manufacturer to get the very best price so that they can make a huge profit. Manufacturer is "forced" into an position of agreement in order to protect and grow their maket share.

Manufacturer decides they can make up the lost profit margin with increased volume. Manufacturer needs to find every possible efficiency so that they can still make profit enough to survive. Material cost, labor cost, shipping cost and administrative costs are all stripped to the bone. Production usually moves to India, China, or other third world low wage producers.

National retailer is now accounting for 50+% of the products sales. They have the manufacturer over the proverbial barrel. National retailer goes back to the manufacturer and grinds them for more margin including lower price, freight allowances, advertising allowances, and catalog costs.

Manufacturer suffers more financial strain and again looks for more ways to cut cost of goods . Quality and ability to deliver are negatively effected. National retailer decides they cannot rely upon manufacturer and "Knocks-off" the product. National retailer private-labels the item eliminating the manufacturer and the delivery chain.

Consumers scratch their heads and say,
"They just don't make 'em like they used to..."
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna