Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2010, 02:17   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I bought/ordered a SS 33kg for my 39,000lb 48fter
It was shipped from NZ to Miami to be included in a larger shipment of boat stuff being sent to me in Leb.

When my buddy went to pick it up, he found that it was Galv. not SS.
With in 3 days the factory had air freighted the replacement SS one while we still had possession of the Galv. one.

That spoke volumes to me...
Once we received our replacement the first anchor was picked up by a local rep.

This purchase was all handled through Mark at Suncoast Marine LTD and I could not have asked for better service.

I haven’t used the anchor yet because it looks so nice on the bow, and
I can’t stomach the thought of getting it wet!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 09:39   #122

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Shawn67, I stand corrected. I spoke with Mark at Suncoast just moments ago.
The new Rocnas do have cast blades. Mark said that thru destructive testing, and the certification to back it up, they are every bit as strong as the previous design. Rocna is very sensitive about quality.

The Rocnas also have had a 20-40% price decrease. The complaint from customers before was always about price, thus the changes in construction and location.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:42   #123

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
As further real world experience - we have a 55lb anchor on our 13 ton ketch, with 80m of chain. We've used for the last two seasons (and last year had only 60m of chain on), having sailed RG for 6 years before that with a CQR weighing 65lb.

We changed because we were having endless problems getting the CQR top set in the weed of the Med, both endangering the boat, and ripping up a lot of weed every anchoring session. We extended the cahin in 2009 to cope with greater depth, and the lighter anchor makes that easier to manage.

We are very happy with the Rocna, with two issues. We like to have a pin through the anchor while on passage, up to about 48 hour trips. We think this is safer than a rope tie down and faster than a complicated knot. This proved very difficult to achieve without making another hole in the shank. We think Rocna should allow for this with a small slot simply for that purpose (but of course it needs to be in exactly the right place for a Maxi 120.

The second point is that as it sways a little when you tread on the shank or the fluke, it's a PITA to get off when coming in bows to in the Med. The CQR sat flatter so it was easier to stand on to get ashore.

Neither of these points bear any relation to the Rocna operating as an anchor and are very minor gripes compared to what we have found to be an excellent anchor. It has held us so far in up to 35 knots, including in 20m of water on a 3.7:1 scope. Of course we haven't used it in tide, but swinging about in wind has not been an issue: in any case we use a swivel in tidal water. (this is a separate argument.)

It goes in, bites hard and stays put.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:51   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
So do you put the swivel on and off....I know they recommend not using one...Mine has one and I'm really not sure whether to remove it or not!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 12:31   #125

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Hi James - well to be honest we've kept it on so far in the med but have not been at anchor more than 4 days at a time (moving off shore to empty holding tanks and returning to same spot if needed during the month or so we might spend in one place).

However, if I remember, I will probably put a shackle on the anchor in March, well moused, and use that instead. I certainly wouldn't bother to change it during a season.

We only use Wasi stainless steel ball swivels as the breaking strain is clearly described (no, I cannot remember it), including that for sideways stress. I would much rather use a swivel when in tidal waters than not, because I am always thinking of the very complicated strains put on a non-swivelling shackle by the swinging action of the tide.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 13:52   #126

Boat: Westsail 32
First, thank-you everyone for a great thread. I'm a little confused by the seemingly light-weight recommendations. The Rocna seller in Florida recommends 20 kg for my boat (32' by 10T) but the recommendations in this thread would suggest 15 kg to me. The only question now is, "What's the market for used CQRs ???"
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 18:42   #127

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
"What's the market for used CQRs ???"
LOL
I think steel is by the pound.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 19:00   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
LOL
I think steel is by the pound.
Haha! You could always use it for your dingy (it might hold).
Old 31-01-2010, 20:00   #129

Anyone else have the new Rocna .1kg?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	12929  
Old 01-02-2010, 01:31   #130

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Hmmm, let's see. Based on boat weight, should hold 100# and based on boat area to the wind might hold a 3.5' dingy, so looks like a real small dingy with a chihuahua --- nope, won't work. But a cool model all the same.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04   #131

It is actually a bottle opener.

Mark from Suncoast Marine gave it to me at the Seattle Boat Show.
Old 01-02-2010, 17:57   #132

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Uber COOL!

I want the next size up.

You would not believe the dingy anchor that came with my dingy. I can't find one online nor do I have a pic but trust me, tested in loose sand it plows along with 2-3 lbs of pull. LOL.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 13:45   #133

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Rocna service sucks

Howdy,

While everybody has been ranting and raving about how wonderful Rocna service is, I can't even get an email reply.

After reading this thread actually, I decided that I'd get a Rocna (20 or 25).. then spent an hour looking for the dimensioned drawings for the various sizes... no joy at all. All I could find was the usual marketing crap and "where to buy" on the website... so I emailed them to email these to me - and I'm still waiting.

Considering that this is a part of the sales cycle - not even up to the support bit... I'd be very suprized if they respond to a distress call when required.

So on this note, assuming that their sales people have forgotten how to read email and that my experience is isolated... and I ignore this and keep thinking positive thoughts about the Rocna.... Can anybody point me to the where the dimensioned drawings are???

akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 13:49   #134

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Do me a favor, if you DO get them on the phone....

... I have been wondering if they have those little gold 'Made in China' stickers on them, or if it is cast into the metal like the shackles....

THanks,

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 14:01   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Do me a favor, if you DO get them on the phone....

... I have been wondering if they have those little gold 'Made in China' stickers on them, or if it is cast into the metal like the shackles....

THanks,

It is cast into the rear of the blade/base. At the Seattle Boat Show, Mark had examples of the NZ and China product. The China product looks every bit as good as the NZ.

Tags
rocna