Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2010, 21:08   #16

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
If another boat looks like they might anchor too closely, send all male crew up on deck naked. Works great with Americans, other national origins may produce different results.
Old 18-04-2010, 21:12   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day All,

Once had a conversation with a rent-a-boater in the Whitsundays. Chap told us that in his "orientation" briefing the operator told them "if you are not sure where to anchor, look for a real cruising boat -- one with wind generators, jerry jugs on deck, etc -- and anchor close to them. They know what they are doing"!
LOL, must have been the goose that wanted to anchor near me
Old 19-04-2010, 00:33   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Anchor Flag

Probably need to fly the "Keep Your Distance" anchoring signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Flag.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	15450  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 01:32   #19

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I have a horror of being thought rude, so we tend to anchor as far from others as possible. I'm all too aware of the reputation large motor yachts have with sailing people. Down wind and far away suits me well and if it looks too tight, we may well move on. Even doing this, with half a mile or more between us and the next boat, it's not uncommon for someone to anchor very near to us.
Our solution is to get in the dink, go across and explain that we have two noisy generators, a love of loud music and we cook with lots of garlic If they don't mind the noise OK but we need to charge the batteries all night. Works like a charm

We do like to cook and we like to entertain so we often go over to the other boats, explain we're not being stand off'ish, and invite folks for a beer or whatever, leaving unsaid the message - just don't anchor close to us.

P
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 03:34   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
When I first started cruising, I'd get upset when other boats anchored too close abeam or over my anchor. After a while, though, I discovered that it really didn't matter all that much. In spite of my worst fears, we were never bumped in the middle of the night, and I was always able to get my anchor up in the morning without incident. So, I learned to relax and go with the flow. Much more in tune with the spirit of cruising. And I ended up making friends with some of those closeby anchorers.
Old 19-04-2010, 05:00   #21
CLOD

Boat: none
Herding is just how we are wired. It's the same reason that when it snows the only 4 cars on the road will be in a group so they can all crash together.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 05:42   #22

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I have this happen all the time as well. I love to seek out all the anchorages in the Bahamas not listed in the guide books, but I find the mast acts like a magnet. I'll drop the hook someplace I never see boats, but often once I do, I'm joined by 5 others. It's never social either, just a bunch of boats all on top of each other.

In addition to the flocking instinct, I think it is also that a lot of people just go where there is an anchor on the chart or guidebook and don't consider at all how suited that anchorage is for the weather if there are better spots nearby. The second they see another boat not in one of those spots, then they do consider those things.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 05:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If anyone drops the hook to close to me... and its not crewed by gorgeous women... its trance music on max, clothes off and I use the POOP DECK for its original purpose....lee side of course... lol
But then I couldn't care less what people think of me...lmao
Rather be considered a barbarian than have a bigger boat drag down on me because the moron who cant figure out swing circles/differences is also probably to stupid to know how to anchor securely.....
Jimmy Buffets "Your an *******" is a great track for this occassion

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 06:52   #24

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
At a Marina here in the North Texas area, at slip, a friend of mine had enough of his boozed-drugged up neighbor. This neighbor had drained his lp gas out of his Grill on the additional slip HE paid for and boarded up for a patio. Funnny thing, about midnight, when the rude neighbor was blasting away with his stereo his lines from his houseboat came loose from the dock. They were so drunk-drugged they did not even know until the next day that their slip had changed to weeds, and aground. To make it even sweeter exterior lights were on and as the boat was blown across the lake the lights got dimmer and dimmer until the inverter drained ALL the batteries.

This little ass had not been anything but trouble since he put the house boat in the marina. A few months later he was evicted, leaving behind a nice 30 amp circuit at the end of a long dock, he paid for, for the next large boat. Gee too bad, no tears from any of us upon his departure. In fact we all gathered for drinks to celebrate.
Old 19-04-2010, 07:39   #25

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Texans don't get mad, they get even. Great story!
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 08:53   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
this is my wife's philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Once had a conversation with a rent-a-boater in the Whitsundays. Chap told us that in his "orientation" briefing the operator told them "if you are not sure where to anchor, look for a real cruising boat -- one with wind generators, jerry jugs on deck, etc -- and anchor close to them. They know what they are doing"!
She thinks we should take the fact that we've formed a herd as a complement. "Oh look, darling, those people must think we know what we're doing."

Only problem is that the other folks with wind generators and jerry jugs, in other words the boats with whom we'd be most interested in sharing a cold one, are lying further away than we'd care to row the dink. The ones lying closest in always seem to be the ones trying out their anchors for the first time.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:57   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
it took me a while to figure out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Probably need to fly the "Keep Your Distance" anchoring signal.
...why you were proposing foxtrot-oscar rather than foxtrot-uniform.

Of course, if one flies the yankee flag one is proclaiming, "I'm dragging my anchor."

Sigh. A shame people don't know the flags any more. Isn't there one for "my crew has come down with a rare tropical disease" ??
Old 19-04-2010, 09:33   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
There are always exceptions.
A few years ago my lady and I went to Conception Island in the Bahamas. Wonder of wonders, we were the only boat there (that means the only humans) for two days. On the third day a motor yacht in the 75 foot range came in and we thought "Oh, damn". Then the motor yacht proceeded to weave his way through the heads until he anchored about as far away as he could get. We thought "Wow, that's great".
A little while later they launched two jet skis and we thought "Oh, double damn".
Then the two jet skis came rocketing up to our boat. One of the riders greeted us, then said to please let them know if they were making too much noise. They departed and we never saw the jet skis again, and never heard a peep out of the yacht all night.
Peri and I were so shocked I'm not sure if we actually managed to say anything beyond a stammered "Thanks".
Old 19-04-2010, 09:44   #29

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Great story Mike...

I would have dingy-ed over with a cold 6 pack or bottle of rum as a thank you gift....just as a gesture of good will..Im sure they had more cold storage capacity then you and didn't need it....

Just saying...people like that I have a soft spot in my heart for........Good mates!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 10:09   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
When we anchor in a place its always for the first time. often after a long passage. In any event we are a bit nervous or unsure of the exact conditions in this new, sight unseen anchorage. So if there is someone else in the bay we are more likely than not to roll right up to them and say hello. Probably, then anchor pretty close to them (not up their quoit, but close).

Also remember those dinky little crusing guides often give the Lat&Lon of the anchorage. If you are anchored on that precise L&L guess what? You're gunna have friends!!!!!!!

The final point is that if you sail into a vacant bay where are you going to park? Where the view is best and the shelter is best? Or at the other end by the trash heap on shore? So then expect others to seek the best spot too.

If all spots are as good and you get crowded then it only takes 5 mins to pick the pick back up and piss off down the other end of the bay <Burp>

After all that, yes, its a pain when we lose our lovely bit of serenity, its hard to not let it affect our day. So I understand your feelings

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote