Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2010, 18:38   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
tell them that unfortunately, your holding tank was full and you just pumped overboard, suggesting they might want to consider some other spot
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 19:18   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Or, how about saying that you expect a dope delivery tonight, and there just might be some shooting...
Old 20-04-2010, 19:50   #48

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgosChild View Post
big breasted, huge and ugly as a hat full of spiders
Without a doubt one of the best descriptions I have EVER read on this forum! Thank you for a great laugh!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 20:50   #49

Boat: Ocean Alexander
I've really enjoyed this thread. I'm a rank newbe and a couple of years ago when anchoring for the very first time right across the channel from Road Town BVI I got within a 100 yards of a large motor yatch that had down a modified Med mooring. He yelled that I was about to anchor over one of his two bow anchors and to move away. Being very intimidated I did just that, but after repositioning snorkel over to have a look as his anchor. I' wasn't even close - sigh. That taught me a lot. Since then I've really learned to stay away from others (I like my peace and quite too) and to ask a lot of questions when entering an anchorage. Those who need space will let you know and you can get a lot of other information about holding and keeping things safe.

I know I'm probably one of the one's that would irritate some of you, but we were/are beginners at some point and information politely given can be really helpful.

john
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 21:38   #50

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
We tend to have to get pretty cozy around here in the summer time..Less then 100' some times....That's expected and dealt with... with seldom an incident... The OP started out this thread with not that concept in mind but more one of a wide open anchorage of thousands of feet available and still people feel they need to stick on you like glue.

I have only had to tell some one once or twice they were in my swing room or over my anchor and they respected the info...A lot of boaters just don't even think about it...Im never rude just try to inform.. Swing room is important around here because of the flukey circular winds in some bays...you will have boats pointing all over the place....but we don't go after 7 to 1 around here either more like 3 or 4 to one unless the weather is unsettled.

There is just not enough room for everyone at 7 to 1 in many of our anchorages for the number of boats we have...Stern tie is very popular in BC for that reason as well...as some anchorages around these parts are less then 3 or 4 times the length of your boat.

Bash: I liked your post...I wish everyone was so considerate..I will adopt the policy myself if inside of 300' of someone from now on , if the anchorage warrants it....like I said in a long Narrow cove 100' from each other is plenty at times...any more then 40 to 50' of rode out and you will be smacking rocks on either side of you.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 23:20   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgosChild View Post
just my luck that I would get an invite from big foot's sister
Cheers
Terry
yes, a certain way with words. I think him an Aussie

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 11:20   #52

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well, when cruising here in the U.S. Northeast, being able to anchor away from the madding crowd is a luxury.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 11:36   #53

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
something that seems to work well for myself.. I'll drop both forward and aft anchors if I am first in the anchorage and then hang a few pieces of yellow tape off the anchor chain or rode..I also drop a float with a tag line from each anchor.. I often use fenders as floats..
normally I dont have to say anything as they notice that two lines are out and move a fair distance away so they can swing..
There are not a lot of weekend sailors with two anchors ready to set..
Remember that if you are the first in the anchorage, you make the determination as to weather to use one or two anchors, all other boats entering the anchorage have to follow in your decision... Or move on........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 11:53   #54

UB:
So for my own knowledge bank let me get this Etiquette thing Right .... lets say you are bow and stern anchored as you say....If I come along and am say triple your scope away from you why should I feel obligated to twin anchor as well?

Edit: Now if you row over and tell me you have 4 other boats arriving and we all need to make room I will honer your request....just don't understand the first one dictates thing....there is either enough swing room or there is not..one or the other...no?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 21-04-2010, 12:14   #55

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
UB:
So for my own knowledge bank let me get this Etiquette thing Right .... lets say you are bow and stern anchored as you say....If I come along and am say triple your scope away from you why should I feel obligated to twin anchor as well?
Because the next boat that comes in will not have any way of realizing that the twin anchor configuration was in the anchorage first and thereby set the rules.

Like your mother said "what if everyone ... ?"

-Sven
Old 21-04-2010, 12:48   #56

Quote:
UB:
Dont know if there is any law that says that you have to but its accepted as "the way it is" and if you cause any damage with your swing, I'm sure the Coast Guard would find you at falt for falure to anchor properly..
Old 21-04-2010, 12:59   #57

OK..I must be thick headed...I don't get it.

Rather you are Stern anchored or not I am going to give you your swing room and mine away from each other...

Example: so if we both have say 75' of bow rode out I am going to add 75 + 75= 150 + the length of both our boats say 40' each, that's 150' + 80'= 230'...Through in 30' or so for error and that is the closest I would anchor to you with out asking for permission first..

This give you total freedom to strike your stern anchor or not with out us having a problem...So I just don't get the mandate thing.

Edit to your answer: So if im 100' away but stern anchored as well, but we colide in the night...Im not responcibal per CG regs?

Old 21-04-2010, 13:12   #58

Quote:
OK..I must be thick headed...I don't get it.

Rather you are Stern anchored or not I am going to give you your swing room and mine away from each other...

Example: so if we both have say 75' of bow rode out I am going to add 75 + 75= 150 + the length of both our boats say 40' each, that's 150' + 80'= 230'...Through in 30' or so for error and that is the closest I would anchor to you with out asking for permission first..

This give you total freedom to strike your stern anchor or not with out us having a problem...So I just don't get the mandate thing.

Edit to your answer: So if im 100' away but stern anchored as well, but we colide in the night...Im not responcibal per CG regs?
And there you go, By me dropping two anchors, you have just moved somewhere around 250 feet away from me.. A foot ball field is 300 feet..
I can live happy at 250 feet..
Old 21-04-2010, 13:18   #59

Quote:
The Coast guard Regs dont tell you how to anchor, but they do say you have to be in control of your boat at all times..
If we're both anchored, bow and stern, and 100 feet apart, there is no reason we would colide unless one of us started to drag.. the boat dragging his anchor is at fault for falure to anchor properly and to keep his boat under control
Old 21-04-2010, 13:25   #60

Rather two or one anchores out makes no difference in my calculations....as I said around here you cant count on everyone swinging at anchor the same direction anyway...if your up against a bluff you will get pulled into that bluff if the prevailing winds are strong enough and comming over it, where some one further out from it will swing with the wind.. then as soon as the wind dies down a bit , here you come swining away fron the bluff...it is just really fluky around here.

I have seen every boat in a bay at times at different angles off their anchors...for me the only reasoniong to all do the same thing rather twin anchored or stern tied is to make more room for more boats.....Basically we are giving up some security of enough swing room and trusting our second anchor point in totality in its place to do that.

Other then that I will anchour how I want..

Edit to answer...OK agreed with that...