Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2014, 22:39   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Tacking at Anchor

FWIW, a friend of ours has a Lidgard 47 [performance cruiser sort of boat]. Anchored in a mob of other boats for a frontal passage in Port Davey, Tasmania, after the winds got up to 45 or so, he deployed a small drogue off his bow, and reported that the boat stopped yawing. We have yet to try this on our boat, which, so far, yaws at anchor no matter what. But the concept is certainly more grist for the mill.

Ann
Old 18-08-2014, 02:55   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks Ann, sounds like rosco's new boat. I've been meaning to try something similar, but snowpetrel sat quite nicely at anchor. I've also heard a big fender can work. Another trick is to let out heaps of chain in a loop behind your snubber. It sits on the bottom and acts as a drag on the bow.
Old 18-08-2014, 05:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FWIW, a friend of ours has a Lidgard 47 [performance cruiser sort of boat]. Anchored in a mob of other boats for a frontal passage in Port Davey, Tasmania, after the winds got up to 45 or so, he deployed a small drogue off his bow, and reported that the boat stopped yawing. We have yet to try this on our boat, which, so far, yaws at anchor no matter what. But the concept is certainly more grist for the mill.

Ann
Hi Ann,

Every boat I have ever owned sailed at anchor, just some more than others, except this one. As I mentioned earlier, my current boat sails at anchor if I run my snubber through the bow chocks which are only a foot or so back from the stem and maybe a foot off centerline. But if I run the snubber over the bow roller the boat is rock steady.

Just wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter, have tried running the anchor line straight off the bow vs through an off center chock and if it made any difference?

Also I know someone with a 42' Pearson that installed a heavy eye on the bow just above the waterline. He runs his snubber from that eye which gives a shorter effective scope due to the lower point of connection and he reports no sailing at anchor. Has anyone else tried this? Could be a good solution for boats with a bobstay that chafe on the snubber.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 06:40   #19

Quote:

Ann
Absolutely, this is the way to do it. It is normally far more effective than a riding sail.

The problem with a riding sail is this....

Normally boats start to sail around their anchor once the force gets up to 35kts. Ok, so this helps. The problem is that if the wind was to go to 45+kts, you might entertain thoughts of taking it down. It then becomes quite unmanageable.
Its sort of like one of those anchor weights... helps a bit when the problem is not too serious but in marginal conditions presents a new danger.

A small drogue off the bow attached to the chain slows the bow down and lets the stern catch up.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 20:47   #20

Skipmac,

Yes, our snubber goes straight over the roller next to the chain. Have tried a bridle. No diff, really. Have tried two anchors out to windward, now that does work, but it is extremely inconvenient, as well as inappropriate in many circumstances.

Snowpetrel,

Yup, good idea. I like the concept of using one's own chain for "the dampener".

Ann
Old 18-08-2014, 21:13   #21

Finally, a good use for a Danforth: scrape it from the stern, stops swinging. Sleep tight...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 02:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Finally, a good use for a Danforth: scrape it from the stern, stops swinging. Sleep tight...
Stu,

Nice use of smiley. We've done that with a Danforth off the quarter, just enough to keep one from swinging into a reef. Perfect. Not a main anchor for us, but a "kedge" to be used for *whatever*, but love having it; might have to cough up big bucks for a Fortress if we didn't have our fairthful HT.

Ann
Old 19-08-2014, 04:09   #23

Boat: Hunter 39

Quote:

Ann

We've used a small drogue off the stern and found it reduced the frequency of tacks although not necessarily the arc of swing. I'm intrigued to know how your friend deployed a drogue off the bow and avoided it entangling with the anchor chain/rode.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Connected is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor