Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 01:49   #31

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Re: Suggestions for Marking Chain

Zip ties every 5 metres. Black is tens, white is fives. eg 15 metres is one black and one white. So when it was the middle of a dark night with wind turned 90 degrees blowing me toward the shore, I hand hauled up the anchor, with much puffing and hauling, and could keep track of just how much more I had to get up. Same with dropping it after moving. The zip ties with their tags still on, I can feel em and see em easy in the dim anchor light. For a newbie like me, it makes it easy to tell how much more to come in or how much more to let out. Don't know how long they will last as it was one of the first things I did with the boat when I bought it a couple of months back.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 02:01   #32

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Tried em all...nothing lasts
Now I just watch the chain as it exits the gypsy to the bow roller...it's almost exactly a metre...and I just count it...works OK for me...

My Maxwell windlass has an optional chain counter available ...I don't have it, but I work on : if in doubt let it out.

We often have 80 to 100 mteres of chain out if it looks like its going to get blowy...no matter what the depth.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 09:09   #33

Boat: Taswell 49

I looked at the fancy Imtra chain markers and they look nice but at $15 per color I could easily end up spending $60 or more on them. Maybe im being overly cheap here but $60 buys a lot of zip ties.

Thanks guys, thinking I'll go the zip tie route and maybe add some paint.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 09:46   #34

We use scrap 6 ga wire woven through 3 links of our 1/2 chain at 100-150 and 200 ft. 4 years in and the wire is still there. We spend 8 months on the hook. Lately we have been using our gps. It is programed for nm, one 100th of a nm is roughly 60 ft, or a 100th of a statute mile can be rounded off to 50 ft for simplicity. When anchoring we hit the MOB on the gps as we deploy the anchor, gently and steadly backing down as we deploy the chain. The Admiral announces "One" as we pass the first 100th mark (60ft) or "Two" (120 ft) if needed. Since we always set a gps anchor watch the only added chore is the announcement of the 100ths as they appear. Very easy and a belt and suspenders approach, 6 ga wire and gps.
Old 25-05-2012, 10:30   #35

Tried a lot of things, my zip ties disapeared fast with a windlass. Flourescent fishing yarn worked better than Zip ties. Ended up with Red, White, Blue paint alternating to help remember where I'm at. Red=30ft, white= 60 feet, blue = 90 ft, red = 120 ft.... etc...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 16:51   #36

Boat: Van deStadt 34

Don't use Zip Ties (Cable Ties). They can cut hands badly and clog the anchor well drain. (If you must use them at least wear gloves if handling the chain). I use black, yellow or red painted links on each 2' section of chain painted white, plus the plastic insert "rode markers" - both work well for me. Andrew G
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:11   #37

Boat: PETERSON 44
Did we forget to say don't cut the zip tie ends or they'll cut your hands to shreds. Leave them long. Course if you mark at 10 meter increment's and don't run chain through your hands you'll be fine. I'm 2 years on mine and with no issue.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:57   #38

Boat: Lafitte 44

3/8 to 1/2" webing loop it through and sew it. Wont hurt your hands like plastic. You can still use colours, and 1, 2, 3, etc for different depths.
Old 25-05-2012, 20:23   #39

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I never painted my chain because it cannot be regalvanized if it has paint on it. I would have to sand blast the paint off before a company would be willing to do the galvanizing of the chain when it needs to be done.

When I am cruising, I always put out all the chain that I have on board in order to get the anchor to set really well. Then I pull some of the chain in to make a lazy loop on the bridle to give a better effective scope when anchored.

I never thought about or discussed how much chain I had out. I was much more concerned with what the catenary looks like after anchoring was complete. I always had to anchor further out because I used all my chain, but I didn't have a problem dragging my Beugel anchor.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 21:56   #40

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive had serveral chains re galvanized over the yrs, and they always clean everything with mild acid before re galvanizeing it ! never said a word about the paint on it !! Maybe your somewhere with different rules or maybe a different procedure in there system of re galvanizeing?? But maybe things have changed ?? did my last chain re work 5 yrs ago ! just my 2 cents
Old 25-05-2012, 22:10   #41

Boat: csy 37

i'm shocked - SHOCKED i tell you - that only cheechako was patriotic enough on this memorial day weekend to come up with the easiest to remember color scheme - Red, White, and Blue. (also suitable for our Dutch and French sailing friends).

been using zip ties for years. i put on about ten ties at 25 foot intervals. my manual windlass is pretty tolerant but i still have to replace individual ties once in a great while. cheap enough....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 23:01   #42

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Im looking for good ideas on how to mark my anchor chain. My plan was to spray paint 6" sections every 50 feet but then the admiral suggested using an alternate color every 25, so say green at 25', red at 50', green at 75', red at 100'...
If you are going to properly anchor with a minimum scope of 4 (OK scope) and a maximum scope of 7 (best scope), you only need 2 marks: One for shallow anchorages and one for deep anchorages.

I have a chain counter, but also have marked the chain with plastic/rubber-like link inserts. Shallow - Less than 10 meters - Mark the chain at 48 meters. Deep water up to 16 meters - Mark the chain at 72 meters. (Assuming that you have at least 75 meters of chain...if not, you only need 1 mark for less than 10m anchoring because you do not have enough chain for more than 10m).

Shallow Examples:
1.) Anchoring in 5m of water (which is 7m from the bow roller): (5+2) X 7 scope (best) = 49m
2.) Anchoring in 10m of water (which is 12m from the bow roller): (10+2) X 4 scope (OK) = 48m.

Deep Example:
Anchoring in 16m which is 18m from the bow roller: (16+2) X 4 scope (OK) = 72m.

You will almost never see a boat drag-anchor when proper scope has been properly laid. Recently I saw a 62' Oyster dump about 75 meters of chain in one lump without setting the anchor. I could not believe it...he did it again and again as re-anchored because he drifted too close to other boats.

A helpful hint to those that do not know how to set an anchor is: While setting (normally backing with the wind on the nose), let the chain out at the same speed as the boat is traveling, eliminating clumps of chain on the bottom. After you have moved about a "boat length" and with the anchor on the bottom, stop laying chain and allow the boat to "bounce" on the anchor...just before the boat comes to a complete halt, pay out more chain. Try to bounce the boat a total of 3 times while anchoring...works every time.

Anchoring can be done with the wind on the stern...same method as above, except after the first bounce turn the helm all the way over. When the boat has turned 120 degrees, set the engine to reverse idle (maybe slightly more to get it moving in reverse). As long as the anchor is not dragging, wait to pay out chain until the boat has turned 180 degrees and the helm is now amid-ship. Continue in reverse until you are at the proper scope, as in the above example. If you use this bow-in method, it is imperative that you know the depth where the boat will eventually stop.

BTW, once you have an electronic chain counter, you will not do without it...lots of reasons.

Hope this helps.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 05:12   #43

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Your anchoring scheme is good, although I would change one thing. When you have set the anchor and are at your proper length to stop, pick a spot on the shore that will not move and another spot higher. These spots need to be some distance away. Reverse your engine and pull. If these two spots that you picked change, then you are dragging your anchor or just pulling out the slack. If pulling out the slack, pick two more spots. I pull at 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 RPM. I like the feeling of being very secure before I go to bed. The 2500 is incase a large burst comes through during the night which we get here on the islands. I would imagine that if all I did was to let the boat set as bouncing back, I would have dragged many times.
I also like to anchor up close to shore so that the dinghy ride is not so far at night. I use 7 to 1 mostly, 5 to 1 one in good weather.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 05:36   #44

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Gee you folks are creative. I use a mixed rode with 50 feet of chain (coral isn't an issue here) and generally anchor in less than 20 feet of water (so much of my scope is chain). Years ago I settled on using 3M electrical tape in colors. I mark the chain about 6 feet before the anchor so I know when it's close.

I know the rope/chain splice is at 50 feet, then after that I mark every 25 feet of rope with one band of tape, then two bands, then 3 bands, then at 100 feet of rope (150 total scope) I switch colors and repeat (1,2,3 bands). Works for me.

BTW the 3M tape has very good UV-resistance and adhesive, and stands up to at least 3+ years of soaking and sun. It's cheap and easy to replace when needed.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 06:17   #45

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We use 6' lengths of small-diameter polypropylene rope woven through the links of our chain. It's been in there for over 12 years and hundreds of anchor deployments and retrievals.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote