Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 06:54   #1

Stuck screws in Bow roller

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8172.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	236562

I need to remove these 3 screws so I can replace the bow roller. Ive tried penetrating catalyst but cant get them out. They dont go thru to the anchor locker as I originally thought they were thru bolts.
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 07:22   #2

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Stuck screws in Bow roller

Buy a screwdriver that fits tightly in slot & has a hex area on it's shank for applying a wrench.
Place blade tightly & centered in slot & give screwdriver a few whacks downward with hammer.-This helps to break threads free.
Un screw very carefully,holding screwdriver vertical & using wrench to apply CCW twist.
These screws may actually be 1/4-20 machine screws tapped into f-glas.
Throw the removed screws as far offshore as possible.

Impact Driver is invaluable on a boat. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3...2905/205674679

Cheers/Len

Old 15-04-2021, 07:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Yikes. I guess it is best that the bow roller took the brunt of whatever caused that.

It may be that the screws are into threaded holes in the plate below then. Heat is the normal go to but to be most effective the heat needs to be applied to the outer part which you don't have access too. Sometimes heating the screw, letting it cool, followed by some blows from a hammer will help break apart the seized screws. Have you tried an impact driver?

A last resort would be to grind off the screw heads, then using some penetrating oil / heat on the plate, along with a screw extractor you might be able to get them out. You would also have the option of grinding down the remaining screw flush with the bow plate and drilling and tapping some new holes or if you have access, go back to the through-bolt approach you originally thought existed. I did say last resort, so see what other suggestions come along before going that route.

Good luck,
Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 07:26   #4
JPK

I'd also suggest some penetrating oil and an impact driver.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 07:33   #5

Thanks so much! Iím going to try the hex backed screwdriver and heat. Then if that doesnt work Iíll just grind them and drill new holes. Need to get it done today as itís my last day on the mooring ball and the old roller causes way to much chafe at anchor.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:47   #6

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I'd also suggest some penetrating oil and an impact driver.

had some stainless screws in an Al pedestal. PB blaster and the manual impact driver were life savers.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:03   #7

Impact wrench and heat did work. Any other suggestions before i cut the heads?
Old 15-04-2021, 10:21   #8

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

If your stemhead fitting and your anchor roller are different metals you should give thought to electrically isolating them.

I'd also try heat, penetrating oil and an impact driver with a well fitting bit. If that doesn't work cut off the heads and drill/tap new bolts. Use TefGel or similar on the threads and a sheet of nylon, Delrin, fiberglass, G10 or Starboard between the stemhead and roller if needed.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:22   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
Impact wrench and heat did work. Any other suggestions before i cut the heads?
Sometimes cutting the head and/or drilling the screw out is faster and easier than trying to screw it, especially with dissimilar metals in a marine environment.

If you drill it out, be sure to get LOTS of drill bits as it can take a number of them before finishing the job depending upon the makeup of the screw and drill bit. Titanium or carbon steel drill bits are more expensive but more effective. Go slow and use lubricant. Be sure to try an EZ out screw extractor first and you might get lucky (great use of 12 bucks).

If you wish to minimize scratches/damage to the bow roller surface, you can protect the area surrounding the screw with tape and even a piece of wood, delrin, starboard, any scrap with a hole that allows access to the screw while protecting the surrounding area.

The big question for me is what is it screwed into? You might need to tap or helicoil the hole (for metals) or fill it and create a new hole (for wood). You could try going a larger size screw as well once it's out. For an older boat I've learned the value of keeping all the tools needed for this on board.

And since your photo shows bolts, I would replace the screws with hex head bolts (metals) or lag screws (for wood) instead of those annoying and hard to work with screws.
Old 15-04-2021, 21:44   #10

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Don’t waiste your time ,drill the heads off the c/s ones use a socket drive to either undo or snap off the hex head one ,remove ss fitting heat to red hot the remaining stem ,then rapidly cool ,will probable wind out ,use heat shied to protect glass ,mole grips or multi grips are your friend for this one .⚓️⛵️
Searles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew