Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 22:23   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Storing Spare Anchor(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Are you planning on cruising or just sailing locally?

If you are going cruising, then carrying a second anchoring system (Anchor and Rode) is practical...

If you are sailing locally there is no sense placing additional weight on your vessel and I would leave all the spare anchors in the dock box.

Just out of curiosity, how big is your windless? That anchor is a big step up there in weight.

Oh I disagree. I do local cruising and i wouldn't go out without a spare anchor. You're not going to use an anchor well out to sea. It's just too deep. It's closer to shore, and it's not that hard to end up having to leave one behind. You'd better have a backup.

I"m going to divide my anchor locker in half so the chain and rode don't get tangled.

Two anchors would have been terribly valueable for me the day I got caught in a line of squalls. My claw would grab and release, grab and release -- I dragged 500 feet in that first squall. The boat was spinning around the anchor before that, and I think the chain wrapped around the shank.

I had just lost my back-up anchor so I didn't have a second one, I had no rudder, and I was in a bad situation. A second anchor would have made it much better.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor