Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 02:03   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000
Stockless Anchor

Wondering if anyone has used these anchors. Have had a look through old posts and can't find anything on them.
We have a Seawind 1000 and need a second anchor. Have read posts on both Manson Supreme and Rocna, but notice a lot of Stockless anchors around here and from most reports are excellent.
We are thinking the new anchor may become our primary and have the 27lb cqr? as our secondary.
Any thought appreciated.

Thanks
Daryl & Kerren
Attached Images

Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 02:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Stockless anchor

You mean the 'standard' anchor that classification societies use to rate other more serious types - x2 for HHP, and x4 for SHHP (Rocna)...?

Stockless anchors four times the weight were recording pulls a quarter of the Rocna’s results during classification testing. I mention this because it's about the only time anybody would bother with them. They are an ancient outdated relic that have no place on any modern cruising boat.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 03:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Whilst one should never underestimate local knowledge and the proof of what works locally etc, I really couldnt see why you would put a stockless on that fine cat.

For a start, if you like the CQR I would be going to at least 35 lb on the seawind. Personally I am making the move to a Rocna/ Supreme primary and a fortress secondary. I prevaricated about a Sarca excel but am getting mixed messages from a lot of actual users, including a seawind owner in Sydney.

The reality on any cat is that you want a slightly bigger anchor that you would on the same weight mono because of windage. You also want lightness which means the best modern design. a 15/20 kilo new gen anchor will be a better bet I think, but its your boat and I have never anchored in South Australian waters so I do not have the benefit of understand the local bottom types etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 06:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See the “Anchor” entries, from the Encyclopaedia Britannica (1875/1902):
Anchor

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 07:12   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm curious what he means by "stockless anchor." Does he mean something like the Britany or FOB anchor, which are sort of like Danforths but with no stock? If that is what he means, those anchors seem to have a tendency to roll out during a swing, which is why the Danforth has a stock.

I always recommend a Fortress or two as secondary anchors. Due to their lightweight and tremendous holding power they are superior when taken out in the dinghy or used as a kedge.
Old 22-02-2011, 01:20   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000
Re: Stockless Anchor

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
As we are very new to sailing we appreciate any help that comes our way.
After reading replies and doing a bit more research we are now looking at the Rocna 15kg and the Manson Supreme 35lb.
Can someone tell if these sizes would be ok and which would mount on the Seawind with least hassle.
Cheers
Daryl
Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 01:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

If you can post a photo of your Seawind's bow roller you're more likely to get useful comments on that. I have a few of a Seawind 1000 here from past customers and the Rocna will fit but the roll-bar will strike the underside of the platform sidebars, so not pull back all the way but probably still be quite okay.

The Supreme's roll-bar is higher than the Rocna's, meaning it will clash earlier, and the shank is taller, so will likely not fit as well.

If you want to check dimensions and fit, you can get the info off Rocna - send them or me an e-mail and request them. You can even make up a full scale pattern out of card or whatever.

The 15 would be the recommended size.
Old 22-02-2011, 03:11   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
If you can post a photo of your Seawind's bow roller you're more likely to get useful comments on that. .
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1000 bowjpg.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	24063  
Old 22-02-2011, 03:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

That looks like what I have on file, but are they all identical. If so then see above. I think Seawind ship their boats with CQR copies, - but you can probably get a replacement to work.

If you can't then the next best thing sure to fit would be a Spade (expensive), then a Delta (cheap). Just be sure to stick to the genuine originals.
Old 22-02-2011, 03:38   #10

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson

Bricky
Don't throw away that [stockless anchor] it may be the only anchor that will hold if you sail around the corner to Spilsby / Reevsby islands . Check out the pro fishing boats in Pt Lincoln and Tumby bay no fancy new age anchors.
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 03:46   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Thompson View Post
Bricky
Don't throw away that [stockless anchor] it may be the only anchor that will hold if you sail around the corner to Spilsby / Reevsby islands . Check out the pro fishing boats in Pt Lincoln and Tumby bay no fancy new age anchors.
cheers Steve
Like the 'pro' fishing boats the world over who 1) never anchor overnight or leave their boats anchored unattended, 2) never anchor in particularly bad weather, and 3) expect to routinely lose anchors so generally go for the cheapest thing they can find?
Old 22-02-2011, 03:48   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
That looks like what I have on file, but are they all identical]
. Yep
Quote:
I think Seawind ship their boats with CQR copies
, The manson plough is the standard fitment on the 1000, (Supreme on the bigger boats) but owners can spec pretty much what they want.
Old 22-02-2011, 05:30   #13

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'

My boat came from South Australia and had one of them tied to the rail. Aparently they are for anchoring in kelp beds.
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 12:38   #14

Boat: Farr 36

Daryl, talk to the guys at Port Lincoln Yacht Club when we when through in November the anchor you have posted was top of the list for the area. The sea grass is extra heavy and our manson took more than one attempt to set if you could not see a sand patch to drop it in.
Good Luck
Old 22-02-2011, 13:07   #15

Boat: Catalina 445

Most of the yachts in our club would be using a stockless. We had a manson supreme as the primary on our sailing yacht (and are choosing a rocna for our trawler - both good anchors) but the best one for SA waters is the stockless. It always held when our manson wouldn't.
navigator54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor