Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 13:55   #16

Re: Stockless Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
Like the 'pro' fishing boats the world over who 1) never anchor overnight or leave their boats anchored unattended, 2) never anchor in particularly bad weather, and 3) expect to routinely lose anchors so generally go for the cheapest thing they can find?
You are displaying ignorance to the actual situation. We are presently in Tasmania and noticed that a few of the fishing boats are running this particular stockless anchor design. Especially prevalent on the west coast. The fishing fleet here simply can't return to port regularly as the weather limits the times when one can safely enter port. Hence fishing trips last several days with anchoring each night.

We certainly got a good nights sleep in the Maatsuyker group hanging to our Swarbrick patent Admiralty, which is intended for similar bottom conditions to the stockless design you refer to.

Bricky, unlike our friend here with the vested interest I would be more inclined to listen to the locals. I first noted the stockless style you refer to in a previous trip to Coffin Bay. As I have said before weed rocky bottoms require a long reach and nice sharp entry not provided by the shiny new fad anchors.

Regards.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:04   #17

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson

Craigsmith
I have no doubt you know more about anchoring with new age anchors than I do BUT after 40 years anchoring around South Aust waters I can assure you nothing will match the stockless anchor when it comes to anchoring over heavy weed.
As far as pro fishermen are concerned they stay with tried and proven methods of anchoring and don't listen to sales hype.ie years on the water against months at sales school.
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 17:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Thompson View Post
I have no doubt you know more about anchoring with new age anchors than I do BUT after 40 years anchoring around South Aust waters I can assure you nothing will match the stockless anchor when it comes to anchoring over heavy weed.
Your argument's nothing more than a blind appeal to tradition.

In your 40 years, you've tried every possible type of anchor out there have you? - otherwise clearly you could not in good conscience make such a statement.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 17:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stockless Anchor

Quote:

In your 40 years, you've tried every possible type of anchor out there have you? - otherwise clearly you could not in good conscience make such a statement.
Make him a offer he can't refuse Craig..... if your ROCNA holds in the weed better than his.. he has to buy it...
But... if it don't... he keeps it for free...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 18:05   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Make him a offer he can't refuse Craig..... if your ROCNA holds in the weed better than his.. he has to buy it...
But... if it don't... he keeps it for free...

Ouch!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 21:51   #21

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson

Boatman 61
That sounds like a fair deal. I would be more than happy to try craigs anchor.
Craigsmith please refer back to earlier anchor threads I have tried several differant anchors inc Sarca no 5
I dont intend to argue about anchors with anyone all I can give is MY experiance which is 40 plus years anchoring around South Australia
I realize you have to make a living selling anchors but do yourself a favour and don't rubbish other peoples opinions and experiance
My advice to Bricky was to not get rid of the old stockless anchor because they work so well in our cruising grounds around Sth Aust
I truly hope you sell plenty of your anchors and make a very good living
All the best
Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 22:27   #22

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Craig I really believe that you do yourself and therefore your product little good by belittling anyone and everyone that may hold a differing opinion or set of experience's to yourself.
For what its worth I own a rocna 15 and find that it is far superior to the delta that it replaced, however I find that the experiences of others generally are worthy of consideration, not outright attack, regardless of how those experiences sit with your own beliefs.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 23:53   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

The title of this thread is "Stockless Anchor" not Craig Smith. Try to keep to the subject please. I believe the subject of whether Craig is doing his product any good or not has been adequately covered.

Thanks for your co-operation.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 16:33   #24
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Thanks Hummingway - anchor wars benefit no-one and are not even entertaining. But I would not buy a Rocna on principal - If I felt I needed a concave anchor I would buy a Supreme - or take up embroidery before supporting anyone issuing the bile and venom that is obviously condoned by the new owners of Rocna (and Dad).

Australian experience would suggest that the Stockless anchor (and there are a number of variations on the theme), as illustrated at the beginning of the thread, works in that specific local environment. Like many anchors it is bottom specific and whereas it might be ideal in weed it looks to be a problem, given that it has no surface area, in anchorages with sand or mud etc. It is difficult to argue, actually looking at the correspondence people will argue even if they have no basis, with local experiance but I would caution not carrying a second anchor (of a different design).

And as this will undoubtedly invoke an ascerbic reply from Mr Smith - please can you define what sort of real life experiance you have had in anchoring. You willingly to belittle anyone with 40 years experiance (or anyone else who might cross your path) - please advise what credentials you have to belittle so many - we might even then show a little respect.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 17:52   #25

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I personally enjoy reading the anchor wars and I like it when people express their opinions. The world would be an awfully dull place if we agreed on everything!

Not arguing for or against the stockless anchor, whatever that is, but I will say that from the commercial fishermen I observe in the USA most yachtsmen have very little to learn from them in anchoring. The situation may very well be very different in South Australia. The typical US fishing boat here on the East Coast carries a very rusted Danforth-type (most common) or Northhill-type anchor on the bow, usually bent terribly. I can't recall seeing any other type of anchor on a large fishing boat on the U.S. East Coast, yet both types are now fairly uncommon on yachts. There are still a fair number of smaller yachts that use a Danforth as the main anchor, but it is really rare to see a Northhill type on a yacht. Th fishing boats mostly use all steel cable and only anchor to occasionally get a night's rest someplace, and almost never if the weather is going to be really bad. In bad weather they either get to a sheltered harbor where they can tie up to a dock, motor into it slowly, or run off under power. They just don't anchor out like yachtsmen do in the same harbors we anchor in, or at least very rarely.
Old 24-02-2011, 18:00   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I personally enjoy reading the anchor wars and I like it when people express their opinions. The world would be an awfully dull place if we agreed on everything!

Not arguing for or against the stockless anchor, whatever that is, but I will say that from the commercial fishermen I observe in the USA most yachtsmen have very little to learn from them in anchoring. The situation may very well be very different in South Australia. The typical US fishing boat here on the East Coast carries a very rusted Danforth-type (most common) or Northhill-type anchor on the bow, usually bent terribly. I can't recall seeing any other type of anchor on a large fishing boat on the U.S. East Coast, yet both types are now fairly uncommon on yachts. There are still a fair number of smaller yachts that use a Danforth as the main anchor, but it is really rare to see a Northhill type on a yacht. Th fishing boats mostly use all steel cable and only anchor to occasionally get a night's rest someplace, and almost never if the weather is going to be really bad. In bad weather they either get to a sheltered harbor where they can tie up to a dock, motor into it slowly, or run off under power. They just don't anchor out like yachtsmen do in the same harbors we anchor in, or at least very rarely.

My observations also.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 18:01   #27

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Having dived SA and Tasmania in my youth there are many areas with massive kelp /weed beds where on advise of locals stockless sounds a good argument in that type of bottom.

I imagine a good general purpose anchor such as Manson, Sarca, Rocna would be retained for the sand/mud areas also.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 02:27   #28

Boat: Seawind 1000

Thanks for the replies you have all helped. What i didn't mention was that we are after an anchor to suit most conditions as we are heading off shortly to work our way around OZ and wanted to know if the Stockless was the one. After a lot of reading we are still inclined to go for the Manson Supreme or Rocna, keeping the Stockless for local conditions.
Factor.... Thanks for your input and posting pics, saved me sorting it.
Craig Smith.... Unfortunately I have to agree with some of the comments posted but do believe you need a certain amount of arrogance to sell a product you think to be the best. We will be buying shortly so if you know where I can get a good deal either here or in NZ please let me know.
Cheers
Daryl
Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 02:05   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricky View Post
Factor.... Thanks for your input and posting pics, saved me sorting it.
No worries, Dont forget to drop in and see us in Brisbane on the way round!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:30   #30

Boat: Westsail 33

Bricky if you are intending to sail around Oz I would keep the stockless (I presume you mean something like a admiralty pattern or yachtsman type) on board. Ours lived up to all expectations when we anchored around the Great Barrier Reef. The admiralty pattern anchor got below the gritty shell and broken coral floor of the island anchorages and held our 26 tonne ketch through 40 kt winds together with another vessel tied aft when he lost his anchor. Yes it was awkward to stow but you can't beat the peace of mind it brought when we anchored around the islands.
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor