Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 05:55   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
It works well when there is a moderate wind, especially when the angle of swell is not very dissimilar to the angle of the wind. It does not work in light, or no wind. Fortunately in the latter case is when the stern anchor works best.

The big problem with a stern anchor is that it can create conflict with other boats in the anchorage.
It works in all angles of wind. You can even point the stern into the wind with this method en we have often used it to bring the boat beam into the wind and bow into the swell.

It also works in light wind. When there is no wind? I never rolled yet in those conditions

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:18   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Stern Anchor Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It works in all angles of wind. You can even point the stern into the wind with this method en we have often used it to bring the boat beam into the wind and bow into the swell.
The swell creates a force that will pivot the boat to beam on position (where of course the rolling is at its worse). There has to sufficient force from the wind to overcome this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It also works in light wind. When there is no wind? I never rolled yet in those conditions
I am not sure, with the smiley face, if that is meant to be a serious comment, if so that surprises me. No wind, with a left over swell are classic conditions for a rolly anchorage.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:40   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

so far, here in mexico i have yet to deploy a second anchor while anchored in even the worst anchorages--like la cruz de huanacaxtle--one of worst anchorages i have used ever in life.

there were some who anchored in zihuatenejo near th cliffs in playa madera----but the rest of us only used one .. didnt need the second to keep our transoms out the rocky stuff.....here, i am in marina, my mechanic is in mangroves, 2 bow anchors in a v shape, and the mangroves for stern ties, 2..... he weathered 5 named storms in that manner without problem so far this year..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:52   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

While there may indeed be situations where a stern anchor is necessary, there are better ways to tame a boat's propensity to sail the anchor.

Think of your boat as an arrow in need of feathers to keep it pointing into the wind.

Some folks have resorted to a riding sail to weathercock the boat, but on my boat the addition of weather cloths and a wind generator solved the problem almost entirely.
Old 22-07-2013, 07:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
While there may indeed be situations where a stern anchor is necessary, there are better ways to tame a boat's propensity to sail the anchor.

Think of your boat as an arrow in need of feathers to keep it pointing into the wind.

Some folks have resorted to a riding sail to weathercock the boat, but on my boat the addition of weather cloths and a wind generator solved the problem almost entirely.
I think the OP problem is rolling at anchor rather than sailing at anchor. The two problems need different solutions although there is some overlap in techniques.

Windage aft can sometimes help for rolling, but not when the swell is close to right angles to the wind.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 07:23   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found the swells in zihuatenejo were fun , but they only last a few hours on beam, as there are tidal and wind considerations...was easier to ride it out 4 times daily than to futz with the neverending problems stern anchoring will give ye....watched folks snap rodes in swells with increased winds--yes they lost their anchor....there were many souls who didnt like the constant swell--if not likee swell, why go there in first place then complain about it--lol--

even in the worst anchorage in mexico--la cruz de huanacaxtle, in nnayarit, mexico, one doesnt NEED stern anchor---with the tidal, swell, and wind conditions, use a bridle and tame boat nicely. with wind--place a steadying sail on back stay of sloop or use mizzen......the beam bs goes away in a few hours.

but, then, if you dont like the anchorage, there is always an alternative--one is not forced to use an anchorage they dislike. i will not return to a lovely place on earth, la cruz, because of the anchorage. i would sooner use mazatlan's
old harbor. at least old harbor is protected slightly, la cruz is unprotected from anything.

in the 3 years i have been here i have yet to breakout anything but primary anchor. there is just no need for it. no one else is using 2--why screw with the souls already there by befouling the swing..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 08:07   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I can see how the bridle might work in the no-air, swell coming in scenario.

We do not use a bridle, just a single line snubber, because our hull is painted, paint is fragile, and subject to chafe.

So, for us, in that situation, the line from the stern to the anchor chain, tightened by the cockpit winch, concept works well, and is easy to retrieve.

For those who think one never needs a stern anchor, well it's that's what their experience taught them; mine's different, YMMV.

This reminds me of "declining" the concept of stubbornness: "I'm persevering; you're stubborn; and he's a pigheaded fool!"

Ann

You're welcome, Kenomac. :-)
Old 22-07-2013, 18:35   #23

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I see how the bridle might work in the no-air, swell coming in scenario.

We do not use a bridle, just a single line snubber, because our hull is painted, paint is fragile, and subject to chafe.

So, for us, in that situation, the line from the stern to the anchor chain, tightened by the cockpit winch, concept works well, and is easy to retrieve.

For those who think one never needs a stern anchor, well it's that's what their experience taught them; mine's different, YMMV.

This reminds me of "declining" the concept of stubbornness: "I'm persevering; you're stubborn; and he's a pigheaded fool!"

Ann

You're welcome, Kenomac. :-)
Hi Ann
Your idea is the best I have heard, I did make a flopped stopper but have not tried that yet, your way just seams to work and quick to set.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 08:58   #24

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

We have a 60 lb Ultra bow anchor on 300' chain and a 15 lb Manson Supreme stern anchor on 250' rode with 5' chain.

They have worked very well for us on our 23,000 lb 2008 Hunter 44DS.

The key to stern anchoring, we found, is to keep adjusting the stern anchor line. As the wind, tides and currents change the overall orientation of the boat, it is necessary to adjust the way the boat is pointing, up to about 45 degrees.

If you think about it, the bow of the boat is pinned down by the bow anchor, and the other forces act on the boat to move the stern this way and that. If you shorten the stern line or lengthen it, you can change the way the boat is facing.

Sometimes we've ended up almost crossed up with the stern anchor line 90 degrees from the transom. Six hours later the tide changes and winds shift and we have to pull a bunch of the stern line in and now it is just 45 degrees off the transom.

We've found it just takes patience and trial and error. But it makes such a huge difference and has made us as comfortable as possible in beautiful anchorages that other cruisers skip because they are so rolly.

From what we've seen of boats with flopper stoppers, both comparing mast sway and sitting on boats that have them, they roll just a little less than boats without them. For us, it is much more effective to put the bow into the swell and take those nasty rollers from from to back rather than side to side.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor