Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Stern Anchor Roller or Fairlead

A recent deployment of my kedge anchor over the stern made it clear that I need some kind of fairlead back there. I have massive stern cleats, but an anchor rode made off to one of them chafes badly on my teak rail, which does neither rode nor rail any good.

I am also planning to make up a Jordan Series Drogue one of these days, and the use of this will present exactly the same problems.

I am not sure that I'm really happy with classical fairleads as any line lead to the after cleats will have quite a bit of an angle downwards towards the water. That seems a recipe for chafe problems, even if smooth stainless steel would be better than rough teak.

I did find this device:

https://windline.com/index.php?act=viewdetails&mod=119

It is designed exactly for the purpose. But it looks kind of flimsy. I guess the forces are not too big there, but still. Anyone have any experience with this device? Does anyone know of any better alternatives?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Stern anchor roller or fairlead

I've been grappling with a similar issue for a while on my CAL. The best I've come up with is a small piece of stainless rub rail over the teak behind the stern cleats. The problem with my boat is there just isn't room for much hardware on the stern.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17   #3

Boat: Boatless

I have never been happy with rode going over or through any metal fairlead or anchor roller. For my anchor snubber and my kedge anchor I always run chain over the metal and attach the rode to the chain in a position where chafe is impossible. This has allowed me about a 1000 nights at anchor not worrying about chafe.

However, unlike you I have an industrial strength aluminium toe rail and I do not mind if that gets cosmetically damaged up by the chain.

I also plan a Jordan Drogue and again it will be a bridle attached to chain going over the rail from two hard points.

When you solve the problem please let me know the solution personally.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Anyone have any experience with this device? Does anyone know of any better alternatives?
Hello,

I do have a similar problem on my boat. Similar dimensions, similar displacement. Have a substantial fairleads with rollers and they prevent chafe but the problem of retrieving the kedge without scrapping the hull (my stern is retroussé also) remains. I'm thinking of installing a proper stern roller now...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Hello,

I do have a similar problem on my boat. Similar dimensions, similar displacement. Have a substantial fairleads with rollers and they prevent chafe but the problem of retrieving the kedge without scrapping the hull (my stern is retroussé also) remains. I'm thinking of installing a proper stern roller now...
Where did you get your roller fairleads? Can you post photos?

Cheers, Dockhead
Old 10-03-2011, 08:57   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Where did you get your roller fairleads? Can you post photos?
Cheers, Dockhead
Were installed by Yard as a part of my "customization package"
I have totally twelve of them - around the boat, to go with twelve massive cleats - no more problems with chafe while moored.
I have no photos at hand - will check later, and may be I can find the producer. Let me try
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:34   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Stern Anchor Roller or Fairlead

G'Day Dockhead,

We used just such a roller on a small fabricated aluminium "sprit" on the stern of Insatiable I (36', 10 tonnes). Worked very well in that application, but I dunno about use in a vessel as large/heavy as yours.

I'm agonizing over the same issues as you with Insatiable II which sports a rather long "sugar scoop" stern. No good resolution has arrived as yet, and I'll be interested to see what you come up with. Have you posted any pix of your (boat')stern? Might help us in visualizing your problems.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW, Oz
Old 10-03-2011, 19:55   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

firehose. lots of firehose. works great-- passes thru bronze to get to cleat and works well to prevent chafe. that roller device looks like a useful tool-- i cant figger out how to add it to a formosa....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:59   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

You could add metal plate between your rail and cleat.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 20:07   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I find the linked photo a bit flimsy as well. However, if you like the design and not the heft of the thing, you could purchase whatever sheaves you like and have a pair fabricated from stainless plate.

It might be cheaper than you think, because it's merely two angled plates held together with bolts (hint, use more through bolts and back 'em on the inside.)
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 23:44   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

I'm agonizing over the same issues as you with Insatiable II which sports a rather long "sugar scoop" stern. No good resolution has arrived as yet, and I'll be interested to see what you come up with. Have you posted any pix of your (boat')stern? Might help us in visualizing your problems.Oz
The problem is not deploying or recovering over the stern - this si not a problem because it's simply impossible over a retrouche transom like ours. We deploy and recover from the side and this is not really any inconvenience.

The problem is how to lead the line aft over the transom without too much chafe. The only I can think of is some kind of roller fairleads.
Old 10-03-2011, 23:45   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I find the linked photo a bit flimsy as well. However, if you like the design and not the heft of the thing, you could purchase whatever sheaves you like and have a pair fabricated from stainless plate.

It might be cheaper than you think, because it's merely two angled plates held together with bolts (hint, use more through bolts and back 'em on the inside.)
A good idea. I'll look into it.
Old 10-03-2011, 23:46   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Were installed by Yard as a part of my "customization package"
I have totally twelve of them - around the boat, to go with twelve massive cleats - no more problems with chafe while moored.
I have no photos at hand - will check later, and may be I can find the producer. Let me try
That would be great! Sounds like just the thing. Photos, too, please, if you can. Cheers.
Old 10-03-2011, 23:49   #14

Dockhead, if you are planning to do a lot of stern anchoring, the Swedes may have something interesting for you.

Show News

On page 19 of this catalogue there is an anchor roller that may or may not be any good for you (1303). Not sure exactly what you need.

http://www.batsystem.se/databas/imag...inless2011.pdf
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Dockhead, if you are planning to do a lot of stern anchoring, the Swedes may have something interesting for you.

Show News

On page 19 of this catalogue there is an anchor roller that may or may not be any good for you (1303). Not sure exactly what you need.

http://www.batsystem.se/databas/imag...inless2011.pdf
An anchor roller sticking off the transom won't help me -- I have a reverse counter transom and the anchor would hit the transom in any case. Anyway, I don't anchor from the stern very much, and I easily deploy and recover from the side. I'm actually scheming to add a capstan drum to my windlass, and if I can pull that off, I'll just recover the kedge from the bow.

No, my particular problem (others may have different problems) is simply chafe. I need a low-friction, strong fairlead on each aft quarter for the kedge rode while anchored from the stern, and for the Jordan Series Drogue which I will eventually make up.

A nice, strong roller fairlead is the ticket, I think.

The Windline DR-1 (Windline DR-1, Stern Anchor Roller -) and its Lewmar analogue are exactly designed for the purpose I have in mind, but seem too flimsy to take the huge loads of the Series Drogue.

Besides that, I found one from Prasolux in Germany, a "BHR-55 Rope Guide":

Prasolux Maritim - Yacht- und Bootszubehr - BHR-55 Rope guide

Name:   Leinenfuehrung_BHR_55_1013.jpg
Views: 3990
Size:  14.7 KB

Also designed for the right purpose, but also seemingly too flimsy. Also bl**dy expensive -- 263 Euros each - yikes.

I think S/V Alchemy may be right -- might need to have it custom fabricated (ouch $$$).

Unless DoubleWhiskey knows of a source. I'd love to see photos of DoubleWhiskey's cleats and fairleads setup, by the way -- sounds like a dream come true.

Tags
anchor