Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 03:41   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Steadying a monohull in a pen.

Hi all,

Like a fair bit of the country, we are being treated to some pretty strong winds here in Adelaide. This is not normally a problem for me, but they are coming from an unusual direction. Instead of directly on the bow, they are coming from abeam. As a result, the boat has been leaning to port for a day now, and I’m over it. Now I’ve just learned I have another 24 hours of this nonsense.

The pen next to me is empty, and I’m thinking of running a halyard over to the finger to bring the boat upright. (Nobody will complain.)

Silly idea? I’m trying to imagine what unexpected forces might come into play.

Matt
Old 30-05-2020, 03:54   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Steadying a monohull in a pen.

Live with it... sit on the high side.... sleep on the low side..

If this bothers you how are you going to cope with a long haul to windward with a bit of tilt?

Other option... get some people to sit with their legs hanging over the windward rail.. tell them it is 'training for the Syd-Hobart'.... maybe they will pay you ...

Third option... move ashore....
Old 30-05-2020, 04:01   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Turn the boat 180 degrees every other day and it will average out - all nice and level.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 04:05   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Hmmm... why do I feel I might have to wait for the Northern Hemisphere to come on line for this one?

For the record, I have no problems with leaning over when under way, but in a pen, I feel it is silly and unbecoming.

As for turning the boat in the pen... not sure I like to try that tonight, I’ve seen gusts of over 35 knots.
Old 30-05-2020, 04:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Turn the boat 180 degrees every other day and it will average out - all nice and level.
And live with the slip slap slop crash shudder under the transom on the other days when the wind is blowing into the pen... ??

Rum would be a solution worth considering...
Old 30-05-2020, 04:06   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Buy a cat Gilow! But seriously I would be worried about bending the mast in the middle? Secured at the top and the boat tied to the dock I just tried it with a straw and it seems to bend in the middle when I replicate the imagined motion.

I just realised you have an empty dock next to you, why not tie her into the breeze?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 04:22   #7

This Adelaide Forecast says the wind is going into the west tonight... as I said before... make rum your friend..

I dream of being on my boat.. in a pen.. in a gale.. on the beam... sigh...

Seriously ... line from the masthead in this situation... never in a purple fit......
Old 30-05-2020, 04:52   #8

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

A line from the pier to the top of the mast will keep a boat upright.

The photo shows our marina the morning after hurricane Florence brought a 12 foot storm surge into an area with no astronomical tides. The water which had been higher than the slip stern pilings has fallen, but the dock walkways are still underwater. The blue boat (mine) is settling back into her slip. The white boat is resting across a finger pier and will as the water returns to its normal level roll to her side, flood, and come to rest underwater atop the crushed finger pier. The red boat will be left dry and upright on the dock walkway, but during the next night the walkway will begin to fail and the boat will begin to fall over. Another boat owner and I ran loops of line around the walkway joists where they were attached to the walkway pilings then tied lines from her mast to those loops. That kept the red boat upright for a month or so until a barge and crane could be brought in to pick her off the remains of the walkway.

So, you might well keep your boat upright. I'd estimate the tension in the lines we used to be no more than 250 lb.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After1.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	216187  
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 05:30   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I wouldn't worry about it. If annoying wind directions causing poor behavior in the slip is only an occasional occurrence for you, I'd say you're in better shape than many.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 06:00   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Only real solution is to purchase a multihull. Otherwise it’s just a behavior of monohulls.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:40   #11

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

GILow:
It's a tough crowd today.
Cheers bud
Old 30-05-2020, 10:48   #12

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

It's hard for me to see a downside to the OP's plan, except maybe chafe of the line at masthead sheave with the un-fair lead, but a wire halyard should mitigate that. And the force at the masthead shouldn't be more than about 50# assuming a mast height of 60', for a righting force of 3000 ft-lbs - about the same as 600# of meat on the windward rail.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:57   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You need a flopper stopper, but try a builders bag on the end of a deployed spinnaker pole.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 12:47   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Your problem is what turned me into a permanent cruiser.

I suffered through a winter in Challenger harbour in Fremantle and when the next one came decided that I would flee north and cruise the Kimberlies to get away from the cold and boat leaning and snatching gales.

Got to the King George river and was leaving it to go back south when the flange on the gearbox fell off, requiring ongoing to Darwin. Cyclone season and NW monsoon pushed me on to Queensland and eventually down as far as Sydney on the way back to Fremantle via the south coast.

Motoring out of the harbour to continue south when a sudden flash of inspiration questioned whether I really wanted to go back to winters in Fremantle so flipped a coin and it commanded me to turn left and head back north.

Left Fremantle in April 2002 and cruised between Yamba in NSW and Exmouth on the WA coast ever since. It's the only proper cure to wind driven heeling and mooring line snatching in a pen during winter in southern climes.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 15:26   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Live with it. Do not load up the mast to keep the boat from its normal gentle yielding to the forces which assail her. Suck it up, accept it. You chose to live on a boat, in particular, the Swanson, for it's/her virtues. Accept heeling in the berth or wherever else it occurs. Remark it. You know it is safe. Tell your body to go back to sleep, it's okay. At anchor, you have to get up and get cold and sometimes wet, as well, and see that all's well. Let yourself feel grateful there's nothing to worry about.

The more you tell yourself it's horrible and you can't stand it, the more strongly that way you'll feel. So soothe yourself. Encourage your body to deal with it. Accept. Move on.

Ann

Tags
hull, monohull