Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 19:12   #61

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner
Re: Steadying a monohull in a pen.

We have this problem often in Perth. Every time a cold front comes through, the winds turn NW and we take it on the port side. I agree it's very unpleasant when it goes for days on end.

Solution I use is to compensate using the water tanks. I have 2000 lt on port and 2000 lt on starboard. I can compensate for some pretty serious sidewind with that much weight to shift around.
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 19:42   #62

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
It certainly muffles the complaining.

Nice pic. I love the hammock to the boom. Where do you tie the forward ends off?
I use a halyard tied to the forestay but always worry about the Furler.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 19:55   #63

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
We have this problem often in Perth. Every time a cold front comes through, the winds turn NW and we take it on the port side. I agree it's very unpleasant when it goes for days on end.

Solution I use is to compensate using the water tanks. I have 2000 lt on port and 2000 lt on starboard. I can compensate for some pretty serious sidewind with that much weight to shift around.

Wow, yes, 2000 litres would certainly help!

I’ve brought forward the priority to commission my starboard tank. If I’d been able to move the 350 litres from port to starboard it would certainly have helped, just being able to empty the port side tank would have been a good start.

And as you say, it’s when it goes for days on end that it gets unpleasant. Nothing forecast to worry about yet, but if I see another big NW forecast I’ll stop what I am doing and get to work on that other water tank.
Old 05-06-2020, 19:57   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Nice pic. I love the hammock to the boom. Where do you tie the forward ends off?
I use a halyard tied to the forestay but always worry about the Furler.

I’ve got a big canvas belt to spread the load. I watched the deflection on the stay and felt it was insignificant compared to normal sailing loads, though I do tie it as high as I can reach to reduce the load as much as possible. It helps that it has the yankee furled on it to further reduce point loading.
Old 05-06-2020, 20:01   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
However I have noticed that it also lessens the healing of the boat in +30 knots. I think this is a combination of the rubber snubber only stretching 1-2inches, the angle of the rope and the hight of the winch above the waterline. I think I have a photo of the setup on my phone, so will see if I can upload it.

Might help if you have a middle post or something similar, plus a strong point in the middle of the boay, preferably high up.

Ilenart

I did notice that I also got a good limiting effect from the lines I was using to keep the boat from bashing against the marina. But the problem was, it was only a limiter, I still had a few degrees of heal for days on end.

Would like to see those photos if you can find them.
Old 05-06-2020, 20:05   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Maybe some weight (20 litres of water or a spare teenager) hung off the end of a guyed out boom would suffice.

The spare teenager idea has merit. Double bonus, level boat AND the whinging is moved away from the living area.

Of course, the whinging will now be UP-WIND, which is a bit of a bugger.

I like the light stretchy line from the first spreader idea, that feels more than strong enough to handle the load.

Still very surprised that this sort of problem isn’t common enough that there is a pool of tried and tested solutions to tap into.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:29   #67

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
I did notice that I also got a good limiting effect from the lines I was using to keep the boat from bashing against the marina. But the problem was, it was only a limiter, I still had a few degrees of heal for days on end.

Would like to see those photos if you can find them.
Was on the boat today, so took a few photos. (sorry about the sideways one, could’nt figure out how to turn)

Ilenart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC5E31D2-A0D4-4ED4-A06E-BE94A23D5CB7.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	216676   Click image for larger version

Name:	2E31F89E-E05E-4FEB-932A-19BA39CA178D.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	216677  

Name:	C7E72659-3915-4884-A8DB-6B1FCA5AFBD2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	216678   Click image for larger version

Name:	697614B7-F98B-4CF4-B179-CF3D08193A3D.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	216679  

Name:	20AB124D-7E95-4D24-8D34-819DCF1E61FF.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	216680  
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:48   #68

Quote:
The spare teenager idea has merit. Double bonus, level boat AND the whinging is moved away from the living area.

Of course, the whinging will now be UP-WIND, which is a bit of a bugger.
Hahaha! Good one, Wotname!

And Gil, don'tchaknow that teenage girls whinge about everthing a la Sarah Bernhardt, only omitting the back-of-hand-to-forehead gesture and the swoon? It's cool don'cha know - or what is the jargon now.... Oh yeah, it's sick (but I think that word is even out by now).

Too bad you can't hear how they'll talk to their friends about having "gone sailing for the weekend on mum's boyfriend's yacht..."

Excellent pics and solution Ilnart! (Maybe I should post this comment separately.)

Bon weekend, All,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:52   #69

Excellent pics and solution Ilnart!

I'll definitely keep this to mind for future reference. Thank you.

Beautiful boat, by the way...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:06   #70

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Excellent pics and solution Ilnart!

I'll definitely keep this to mind for future reference. Thank you.

Beautiful boat, by the way...

LittleWing77
No worries and thankyou
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 15:48   #71

Boat: Island Packet 40

Having spent a winter in Challenger Harbor in Fremantle I went through the leaning and jerking boat thing and tried numerous abortive fixes until I finally decided that the best long term solution was to just get used to it. It's good training for when you eventually go to sea and cruise and the boats always rocking or leaning or jerking on an anchor chain.

It's the same with noises, a boat is always going to make noises and if you want to keep from having to go out in the cold, wind and rain in the middle of the night you cultivate an identify and ignore response.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 17:35   #72

I probably mis-titled this thread. I shouldn’t have said “steadying”, I really should have said “levelling”.

I don’t mind the tug and lurch of the boat on a windy day, though sometimes I am grateful for the muscle memory that gets me to the nearest handhold in a hurry.

It was the days of constant lean that got to me. At least at anchor the boat is much more pleasant. There’s the odd lurch and lean, and I’ve learned that she’s much more steady with the dinghy in the davits to hold the bow into the wind, but at least I don’t end up feeling vaguely lopsided after a couple of days.

Here’s to getting out of this darn marina!
Old 06-06-2020, 17:39   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
Was on the boat today, so took a few photos. (sorry about the sideways one, could’nt figure out how to turn)

Ilenart

Good pics.

Having the lines up high on the cockpit sides would certainly help hold the boat level, but I’ve always been told not to use winches to hold mooring lines as it can cause brinelling.
Old 06-06-2020, 18:29   #74

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GILow,

We've often used the primaries to take the load of the boat, in a pen, with a strong wind, on the windward side. 5/8" line to pile, or opposite cleat, through snatch block on toe rail, and back to the primary, with about 4 full wraps on the winch. Never had a problem with brinneling. Really don't think you need to worry about that...maybe with aluminium winches, but probably not then, either. However, not the same usage as you're talking. Maybe for your problem, use nylon 3-strand, in place of polyester double braid, should give plenty of stretch. If needed, use chafe gear.

It is difficult to accomplish boat jobs on a heel angle of 15 deg. However, I am still firmly in the learn to live with it folks in how I think about it. But I wouldn't want to force that on your girlfriend or her daughters.

Ann
Old 06-06-2020, 18:56   #75

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
I probably mis-titled this thread. I shouldn’t have said “steadying”, I really should have said “levelling”.

I don’t mind the tug and lurch of the boat on a windy day, though sometimes I am grateful for the muscle memory that gets me to the nearest handhold in a hurry.

It was the days of constant lean that got to me. At least at anchor the boat is much more pleasant. There’s the odd lurch and lean, and I’ve learned that she’s much more steady with the dinghy in the davits to hold the bow into the wind, but at least I don’t end up feeling vaguely lopsided after a couple of days.

Here’s to getting out of this darn marina!
You get used to leaning after a while and sometimes a little to used to it.

I was anchored off the mouth of Snapper Creek at Tin Can Bay sitting in the saloon having a cup of tea and reading a paper. I put the cup down and it slid off the table. The chain had fouled the anchor and unset it and the tide had swept me aground. The boat was leaning fifteen or twenty degrees and being engrossed in what I was reading I hadn't noticed it.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull