Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 09:14   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Stainless Steel Anchor Chain

Cheechako..... perhaps there was a misread - the quote was in centigrade not fahrenheit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
HUH? What in the world would effect those chains at that low a temp? You must have your numbers wrong...
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:28   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Cheechako..... perhaps there was a misread - the quote was in centigrade not fahrenheit.
Yes I saw that, but we are talking in the 75-95 degrees farenheit range! Boy, all that sailboat rigging out there must be bad!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:40   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes I saw that, but we are talking in the 75-95 degrees farenheit range! Boy, all that sailboat rigging out there must be bad!
Cheechako...... perhaps it is the factor of being submerged. It is a little puzzling. Not withstanding, Im staying with my galvanised, at least for the time being. It is a concern, though, that there is so much 'iffy' chain around, of dubious quality and frankly, I do not know how to tell the real stuff stuff from the alternative. The galvanising quality can be seen and potentially measured, but the chain itself?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:26   #49

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly

Quote:
HUH? What in the world would effect those chains at that low a temp? You must have your numbers wrong...
Well, as you say, in the temperature that Swedes normally sail, 16-22 dgr C, the effect on the standard AISI 316 chain is not much, but if sailing to water above 25 dgr C, the change to AISI 318 would be preferred, as far as I know, since higher temperature and more salt in water speeds up the corrosion factor.

That was also my initial question...has anyone real experience of SS chains in warm water for longer periods?
There is usually so much thoughts and opinions, but who has first hand information about it?

Same thing goes for the risk of SS chain suddenly breaking of hidden corrosion. Who has experienced that? And if so, was it a Far East made chain or a high quality chain (like the German ones)?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:26   #50

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Cheechako...... perhaps it is the factor of being submerged. It is a little puzzling. Not withstanding, Im staying with my galvanised, at least for the time being. It is a concern, though, that there is so much 'iffy' chain around, of dubious quality and frankly, I do not know how to tell the real stuff stuff from the alternative. The galvanising quality can be seen and potentially measured, but the chain itself?
My understanding is it's a combination of temperature and lack of oxygen, which is why it's really only a problem if left submerged for longer periods of time - the opposite of mild steel.
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:56   #51

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly

Quote:
Entering a marine store and purchasing an anchor chain, galvanized or SS, I suppose most buyers assume that the chain the stor provides is suitable for the waters he is going to sail...and often the customer has nothing to compare with except prices...which can be the worst comparision.
But knowing that anchor chain steel can have various strength grades, and that the galvanizing zink can be of various quality and thickness, most customers isn't aware of..."anchor chain is anchor chain".

Same thing with SS chains, different SS alloys gives different properties, which can be very important, depending of where it is intended to be used.

So, as with most things; sails, propellers, paints...and chains...the more you learn, the more you realize that there is to know.
Therefore it could be a good idea to find out what is the most important knowledge for my purpose, not to kill myself in trying to know everything.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
My understanding is it's a combination of temperature and lack of oxygen, which is why it's really only a problem if left submerged for longer periods of time - the opposite of mild steel.
Yes, oxygen depletion is the issue with SS. That wont occur under water unless it's stagnant water.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:15   #53

Boat: Catalina 470

Has anyone seen someone's anchor chain snap? SS or galvernized ? Ive seen a SS chinese swivel break on a friends boat but never seen a chain link let go. Not saying it dosent happen, I just haven't seen it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:55   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ive now spent a fair few hours looking at this subject - maybe a rethink is in order. Perhaps I've allowed myself to be too influenced against stainless steel. Having read stacks recently, Im finding that several boats are using stainless and have done for extended periods - without any issues. Reading of some boats using their chain very regularly and not having issues of regalvanising (etc) does have its appeal, not to mention the cleaning issue. It does seem to be a factor to use a really good supplier like the one identified (Chromox chain from Germany). They also have recommendations from people that cruise. One important issue seems to be use of a proper bridle (minimum 30ft) to avoid the sudden jarring shocks that SS does not seem to like. I cannot find a single notification of failure of reputable SS chain used correctly and that is encouraging. Time for more research it seems - and a new mindset may follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Has anyone seen someone's anchor chain snap? SS or galvernized ? Ive seen a SS chinese swivel break on a friends boat but never seen a chain link let go. Not saying it dosent happen, I just haven't seen it.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:06   #55

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoebyrne View Post
Thank you all for the information. I won't be purchasing stainless steel chain as I had no idea that it cost so much. How do I verify that the chain is the correct size for the windlass? Is it marked on the gypsy or the windlass?
The chain size and type is probably stamped on the gypsy. If not, contact the manufacturer of the windlass.
Galvanized chain is fine.
I'm not going to argue the "all chain" thing, I'll just say that a combination of chain and rope works fine for me.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:22   #56

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
................. The more I'm researching this, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way to insure that I eliminate the piling/windlass jamming problem is with SS chain. Another problem is that I would really like to add more length also - I don't like having only 80 meters (260'), it is too restrictive in the anchorages we can visit! ...........
The type of metal the chain is made of won't affect the piling or jamming as long as it's the same size. You have to pick the size based on the windlass gypsy.

You can probably solve your problem by going to a combination chain/rope rode.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

I've seen pics of parted shackles and swivels, but not of chain. I have seen a parted chain of the wrong rating on a hoist.

Tags
anchor, steel