Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 12:02   #1

Boat: Crown 34
Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

Hi,
I recently bought a mooring ball in busy Tsehum Harbour, BC. My boat wasn't immediately tied onto the ball as I have a slip in a marina for another two months....but before I was able to custom make a cover for the attachment ring someone tied up!
It is a near derelict boat that looks to have a 'society-dodger' as an owner. Filthy, nearly everything broken, food and garbage strewn all over down below. You all know the type...
I have been out to it twice looking for the owner, and the phone number graciously posted on the hatch boards (below the words "If Sh-* Gets **-*ed" is for a cell phone that has yet to be turned on and has no voicemail. I did slide a note through the hatch boards asking him to move on.

There are some obvious suggestions on what I could do here, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation, and how was it resolved? The RCMP aren't exactly going to be able to help me on this I don't think...

Key thoughts:
  • This guy likely has little or nothing to lose.
  • My name and phone number is marked on the ball (along with "PRIVATE"), so he knows who I am.
  • Moving him to another empty ball is not exactly fair to my neighbour...
  • Cutting him loose is not an option. The boat would be destroyed on rocks and there is nothing stopping him from vandalising me when I get on the ball.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:16   #2
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Squatter on your mooring ball (Canada)

I had a suggestion, but deleted it. You asked if someone had been in that situation, and I haven't. So I'll shut up now.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:17   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Is there a Harbour Master that regulates the installation of moorings/balls. They have the authority to contact and remove unwanted moorings. If you bought the mooring then the HM should have a record of said sale and should beable to enforce it's use.

The problem now is the transient now knows who you are before you even get your boat tied up.

If you do meet the person, kindness will put you in a better position w/o recourse.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:19   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mike, i don't know how things work in the Great White North, but here in the south you'd contact the harbormaster, whoever administrates the mooring field or owns the moorings. And you'd contact the watercops.

You have trespass, theft of services, and other criminal actions that both of them are required to act on. The watercops should be able to "arrest" the boat, physically, and tow it to a storage location. The mooring administrators should are probably required by contract to make the mooring available to you--and it isn't.

Start with those two.

Any boater knows an empty private mooring is NOT simply theirs for the taking, using it is stealing it from someone. You're dealing with a thief, a trespasser, a criminal. No need to be polite with them, they know who they are.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:22   #5

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Try the Tsehum Harbour Authority:

250-655-4496
Old 30-01-2012, 12:24   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

okay, since none of you guys have been in the situation either, I was going to suggest planting something illegal ( bullets?) on the boat and tell the police you noticed it when you went aboard to try to find out how to contact the owner.

basically, from your description, I am betting that if you make it uncomfortable for him he'll move to someplace out from under police scrutiny.

Assuming you don't get what you want from from the Harbor master, of course.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:24   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Very tough situation. You of course are in the right legally and I agree with contacting the harbor master or whoever regulates the moorings in that harbor. BUT, this guy does not sound like the cream of society and he could seek revenge if you tick him off.

Since you have a couple of months left in the marina I would keep doing what you are doing until the deadline approaches. Surely there is some sort of registration or something that will lead to a name or address beyond the non working cell phone?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:24   #8

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I would contact who you purchased the mooring ball from and ask for advice. I am betting this guy is not a stranger to authorities in the area. I would also contact the harbor master and whoever the marine authority is. I have no idea if you'd have to legally evict a squatter. Perhaps someone with legal experience can advise. Good luck sending this guy packing. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Squatter on your mooring ball (Canada)

Nail a note to his mast requiring 1yrs advance payment for the rental of the mooring at $500/mth giving him 30days before you foreclose and possess the boat..an official looking stamp would be good if you can knock one up...
A gert big 6inch nail

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:31   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
okay, since none of you guys have been in the situation either, I was going to suggest planting something illegal ( bullets?) on the boat and tell the police you noticed it when you went aboard to try to find out how to contact the owner.

basically, from your description, I am betting that if you make it uncomfortable for him he'll move to someplace out from under police scrutiny.

Assuming you don't get what you want from from the Harbor master, of course.
Quote:
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
(contrived)

One crime does not justify another.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:35   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Please post how it all works out.

I wonder if the harbor master is going to want to move a POS boat and then have the town be responsible for it.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:50   #12

Boat: Sceptre 36

Do you actually have a foreshore lease which gives you legal title to the mooring? If not, you did not get any value for money in the purchase of the mooring and probably got shafted.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:58   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

It is one of the problems of being where we can still put in our own mooring balls. Properly labeled someone shouldn't tie to them but it happens. It could be worth a call to the RCMP for some input. As far as I know, unless an area is designated otherwise we are still allowed to put in private mooring balls. The RCMP in the Gabriola area have started taking an interest in derelicts so they might be sympathetic. It's a problem at Tsehum for sure.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 13:53   #14
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

By all means, talk to the harbor master but don't be surprised to be shuffled to other agencies. Seems like nobody around here wants to touch these boats with a ten foot pole.
You can't just set it adrift because of the possibility of it damaging other boats but why not wait for high tide and push it up to the beach next to the half sunken wreck and the squatter on the shore in his truck camper (minus truck). Just tie it to a tree or similar to make sure it stays put.
Then leave the ball empty and hope that two months is enough for the squatter to calm down. No matter what you do, even if the authorities intervene (which would surprise me), your boat will be at risk if moored on that ball.
Kind of a rock/hard place situation.
Please keep us informed on the outcome.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 13:59   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Seems like nobody around here wants to touch these boats with a ten foot pole.
One of the problem seems to be that if you do move it you become responsible and it seems it's so whether your an official or an individual. They have a way of moving under the cover of darkness.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, mooring