Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 17:10   #46
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Squatter on your mooring ball (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
(contrived)

One crime does not justify another.

An eye for an eye.

Original version.

Not trying to convert the guy to some religious bs, trying to get him to move off the mooring. Getting the police interested in him is a whole lot faster than going through some legal process that will cost time and money.
Old 30-01-2012, 17:15   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

and on the lighter side............... a squatter on your balls
Old 30-01-2012, 17:21   #48

Boat: Westsail 32

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible onnce you resolve the problem to come up with a simple security device to prevent this from happening in the future?
Old 30-01-2012, 17:27   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Capt Phil on this one ! only id tow em to a Bad anchorage, anchor him and leave!! end of problem ! course I would sleep aboard for a while !! LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:28   #50

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible onnce you resolve the problem to come up with a simple security device to prevent this from happening in the future?
First post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Hi,
....but before I was able to custom make a cover for the attachment ring someone tied up!
Old 30-01-2012, 17:39   #51

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Actually, you're wrong by a long shot. People can still put in mooring buoys in BC and if they are properly marked someone else doesn't have the right to tie up to it.
It's illegal to dump garbage over the side. Rusty engine blocks, blocks of concrete, whatever. It's not a vessel, it's not fishing gear, it's not on the chart or in the NOTMs. But the truth is the Mounties have better things to do and know less anyways. Maybe, the wharfinger doesn't want your mooring buoy there either, but since you are paying him his wharfage, he just hopes it all goes away.

Funny, how many of you might think anchor lights are necessary but miscellaneous ropes floating in the approaches are just fine at night.

You don't need it, but consider that you should keep the area for yourself for free. Oh, but he's a bum! I wouldn't be suprised if your plan is to sublet your dockspace and shift to the mooring when weather is salubrious. If so, I hope you declare that as rental income, as it lawfully should be.

Anyways, I'm taking some weights and chain downtown. There's some parking spaces I'd like to keep for myself. I asked the Coastguard and they said that it's fine with them!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:43   #52
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I used to have that SAD disorder myself. Took years to realize it. Must be pretty common in Canada.
Old 30-01-2012, 17:43   #53

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Hi,
The RCMP aren't exactly going to be able to help me on this I don't think...
This is highly disturbing to me. Growing up in Iowa the only exposure I ever had to the RCMP was Dudley Do Right. Dudley could fix this.

Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:45   #54
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I used to have that SAD disorder myself. Took years to realize it. Must be pretty common in Canada.

Old 30-01-2012, 17:46   #55

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
It's illegal to dump garbage over the side. Rusty engine blocks, blocks of concrete, whatever. It's not a vessel, it's not fishing gear, it's not on the chart or in the NOTMs. But the truth is the Mounties have better things to do and know less anyways. Maybe, the wharfinger doesn't want your mooring buoy there either, but since you are paying him his wharfage, he just hopes it all goes away.

Funny, how many of you might think anchor lights are necessary but miscellaneous ropes floating in the approaches are just fine at night.

You don't need it, but consider that you should keep the area for yourself for free. Oh, but he's a bum! I wouldn't be suprised if your plan is to sublet your dockspace and shift to the mooring when weather is salubrious. If so, I hope you declare that as rental income, as it lawfully should be.

Anyways, I'm taking some weights and chain downtown. There's some parking spaces I'd like to keep for myself. I asked the Coastguard and they said that it's fine with them!
You better be careful.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2721.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	36721  
Old 30-01-2012, 17:49   #56
CLOD

Quote:
Please let us know how that works out for you!

I bet you feel it is wrong for people to own their own homes on land that should be for everyone. "Hey no one is home over there that means it is OK for us to go crash there!"
Old 30-01-2012, 17:54   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:

It's a long way from putting a proper mooring ball in to dumping garbage which doesn't have anything to do with ropes floating in the approach or have anything to do with the rest of your post for that matter.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 18:05   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Squatter on your mooring ball (Canada)

Sounds/Looks like the Jetsam has snagged a lump of Flotsam.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 18:16   #59

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
....I'd like to know why throwing your garbage in the water, tied to a buoy, makes the area your private property. Sorry, but You are the one dumping trash. If that fellow wants to anchor there, he has every right to do so. When your boat is tied to it, your garbage is an anchor holding a vessel, but as soon as you leave it, you can't expect anybody coming in to treat it as though it's a ghost-boat. ....there wouldn't be anywhere to anchor whatso-ever if that were the case. If I were there, I would tie up to it and were you to come-by, I'd ask you to remove it, so I can anchor, without fouling your underwater trash.
As Hummingway correctly pointed out the govt rules in the area win out.
Perhaps that is why people sometimes don't like seagulls as they sh*t everywhere with no regard for other people or anyone else except themselves.

As I just won a case against someone with your attitude perhaps you can learn something from this forum discussion. I have 2 mooring balls and a small private dock deeded to me (originally to the previous owner and whomever he sells the property to) by the US Army Corp of Engineers. I have a 100 foot radius from the mooring ball for my exclusive mooring rights. Have the 2 balls 198 ft apart so covers most of my waterfront property frontage. IMHO have the nicest home on the lake which is also the front cover of the Chamber of Commerce Brochure. Have the other ball up to a small 12 ft dock though can put in up to a 52 ft dock per deed.
2 weeks before the incident was down at the dock with my builder when we came upon this fellow on my buoy and using my dock. Asked him to please move on as was private property as per the posted signs and the info on the mooring balls and the dock and that I charged for pre-paid docking $700 a day, 5 day min 3,500 in advance or 5,500 after the fact plus 8% IRS number interest. After listening to his foul mouth for several minutes I typed his hull numbers into my cell phone and asked my builder to get me the Police Dept's fax number so I could sent the pics of him breaking the law. He left. 8 days later am back showing my new fiancee' our new lakefront home and the trespasser is back again. Walking down to the dock per the conversation he was trying to impress some chick that this was his house and dock which we overhead and recorded. Long story short he left and I filed on him for $5,500 plus court costs in Small Claims Court ($6,000 limit here) He showed and told the Judge that he was never there and that I was lying. I showed the Judge the video of every time that he had been there as my entire waterfront is under camera surveillance. Judge found for me for 5,606. The 5,500 plus 106 in court and summons cost. He went ballistic in court. Started screaming at the Judge and told him to put his gavel where the sun doesn't shine. NOT SMART! Like stealing the mooring spot someone else paid the local authorities or complied with the local regs to procure. The baliff tired to step in front of him between him and the Judge and he pushed the baliff out of the way. Now assault besides contempt. He is in jail as I write this and the Judge had his boat seized and it is now on the hard behind locked gates at the marina. The boat is worth apx 189,000 per the Marina. Docking on the mooring balls or the dock out of the question but if he had came and asked if he could have just docked for a few minutes and shoot some pics of a Dream Home like he someday wanted to own I/we would have said "sure" and probaly even given him a tour of our home.

Capt Phil
NWDiver

If that was my mooring ball I probaly would have got my Sunday go to meeting "Colors" on, revved my Fat Boy up to get in the mood, and sailed that ILLEGALLY MOORED BOAT to a LEGAL slip near the worst dive in Tsehum Harbour and went in for a couple of cold ones and perhaps dinner. When leaving via car as I seemed to have forgot how I got there if I had picked the correct dive the boat would be stolen, stripped, and set on fire/scuttled before morning. Let the RCMP inform him of his tragic loss. Though would not be surprised if that was what he wanted anyway. If he wants to call the tel number on the dock/mooring balls it belongs to my attorney's office and the name clearly id's the numbered trust involved.

Have a nice day and hope you learned something. Your freeedom ends where mine begins and vice versa.

John
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 18:26   #60

Boat: Boatless
Thumbs up Re: Squatter on your mooring ball (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cruiser View Post
As Hummingway correctly pointed out the govt rules in the area win out.
Perhaps that is why people sometimes don't like seagulls as they sh*t everywhere with no regard for other people or anyone else except themselves.

As I just won a case against someone with your attitude perhaps you can learn something from this forum discussion. I have 2 mooring balls and a small private dock deeded to me (originally to the previous owner and whomever he sells the property to) by the US Army Corp of Engineers. I have a 100 foot radius from the mooring ball for my exclusive mooring rights. Have the 2 balls 198 ft apart so covers most of my waterfront property frontage. IMHO have the nicest home on the lake which is also the front cover of the Chamber of Commerce Brochure. Have the other ball up to a small 12 ft dock though can put in up to a 52 ft dock per deed.
2 weeks before the incident was down at the dock with my builder when we came upon this fellow on my buoy and using my dock. Asked him to please move on as was private property as per the posted signs and the info on the mooring balls and the dock and that I charged for pre-paid docking $700 a day, 5 day min 3,500 in advance or 5,500 after the fact plus 8% IRS number interest. After listening to his foul mouth for several minutes I typed his hull numbers into my cell phone and asked my builder to get me the Police Dept's fax number so I could sent the pics of him breaking the law. He left. 8 days later am back showing my new fiancee' our new lakefront home and the trespasser is back again. Walking down to the dock per the conversation he was trying to impress some chick that this was his house and dock which we overhead and recorded. Long story short he left and I filed on him for $5,500 plus court costs in Small Claims Court ($6,000 limit here) He showed and told the Judge that he was never there and that I was lying. I showed the Judge the video of every time that he had been there as my entire waterfront is under camera surveillance. Judge found for me for 5,606. The 5,500 plus 106 in court and summons cost. He went ballistic in court. Started screaming at the Judge and told him to put his gavel where the sun doesn't shine. NOT SMART! Like stealing the mooring spot someone else paid the local authorities or complied with the local regs to procure. The baliff tired to step in front of him between him and the Judge and he pushed the baliff out of the way. Now assault besides contempt. He is in jail as I write this and the Judge had his boat seized and it is now on the hard behind locked gates at the marina. The boat is worth apx 189,000 per the Marina. Docking on the mooring balls or the dock out of the question but if he had came and asked if he could have just docked for a few minutes and shoot some pics of a Dream Home like he someday wanted to own I/we would have said "sure" and probaly even given him a tour of our home.

Capt Phil
NWDiver

If that was my mooring ball I probaly would have got my Sunday go to meeting "Colors" on, revved my Fat Boy up to get in the mood, and sailed that ILLEGALLY MOORED BOAT to a LEGAL slip near the worst dive in Tsehum Harbour and went in for a couple of cold ones and perhaps dinner. When leaving via car as I seemed to have forgot how I got there if I had picked the correct dive the boat would be stolen, stripped, and set on fire/scuttled before morning. Let the RCMP inform him of his tragic loss. Though would not be surprised if that was what he wanted anyway. If he wants to call the tel number on the dock/mooring balls it belongs to my attorney's office and the name clearly id's the numbered trust involved.

Have a nice day and hope you learned something. Your freeedom ends where mine begins and vice versa.

John

There is lies the bottom line! No pun intended!
neilsailingrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, mooring