Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 15:09   #16

Re: Spade Anchor Size for Bluewater Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucekav View Post
We're looking to upgrade our 45lb (20kg) CQR to a Spade and seeking advice on the appropriate size. The boat is a Warrior 40, 40ft (12m) long and 10tons (22,000lb) empty, and around 13 tons, (29,600lb) fully loaded. Planning extended cruising on an Atlantic circuit or potentially further afield but not high latitudes. Currently undecided between the S120 (25kg) or the S140 (30kg) for added piece of mind, but would welcome advice from others who've used a Spade on extended Bluewater cruising on what size they would recommend.

Cheers,

Bruce
For my Valiant 40, I switched the 45 lb CQR that came with the boat to a 30 kg Spade about 20 years ago, after finding the CQR difficult to set. Since then the Spade with 3-8 inch BBB chain has been used exclusively throughout the South Pacific in hundreds of anchorages. It has never failed to set very quickly, almost always on the first try, and has always stayed put even in marginal anchorages and difficult conditions.
Fair Winds,
Don
Captainv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 15:09   #17

Boat: Cal-40

On my 40ft fiberglass sloop I bought the Spade S120. I use all chain 3/8 G4. I believe the S120 is 55lbs. It’s been a wonderful anchor, holds extremely well even with limited 3-1 scope in tight anchorages. You won’t be disappointed.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:28   #18

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

Lucky you with a Warrior 40. I wanted to buy one, but Trident Marine went bust and I bought a Westerly Oceanlord instead. I’ve not had a problem anchoring anywhere with my 45lb CQR that’s attached to 60 metres of 10mm chain spliced to 12metres 20mm octoplait.
geoff3nebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 21:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
It is a confusing term. Of course anchoring in “Bluewater” is not possible.

To me “Bluewater cruising” implies visiting many different geographic locations. From an anchoring perspective this means the primary anchor should be able to cope with many different substrates and anchoring situations.

In some locations the substrates are predominantly soft mud, in others hard sand or perhaps weed. Some areas have crowded anchorages where short scope performance is important, others have strong reversing currents where an anchor design that can shuffle reliably is vital. Some areas have predominantly shallow anchorages, others are typically very deep, etc etc.

Sailors that confine their cruising ground to a limited area can select primary anchoring equipment that optimises the particular conditions they are likely to encounter. ‘Bluewater cruising” boats do not have this luxury. Typically they may not spend enough time in any one area to gain local knowledge about the conditions and substrates in locations where they anchor. In addition, without a home marina or mooring they are more likely to encounter more severe conditions at anchor. As a “Bluewater cruising” boat we anchor almost 365 days a year, sometimes in severe conditions where local boats are likely to be in a marina or on their home mooring.

This is not to imply that local cruising is in any way inferior, or less enjoyable, but I think it is important to understand that if you intend “Bluewater cruising” then top notch anchoring gear that can cope reliably with a large range of substrates is a great advantage. Choosing an anchor that is large as can comfortably be managed is an important part of this equation.
If you live in Indonesia anchoring in blue waters is done everywhere. Some depths are more than 2km.
Desertroseii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 21:49   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I believe it was Steve Dashew who said (someone please correct me if I am wrong), "When your neighbors start laughing at the size of our anchor - it is probably almost big enough" (quoted from memory so the quote is not 100% correct).

Anyway - we have a 40 foot Jeanneau and have anchored in every type of substrate you can imagine. Our 30 kg Mantus is 5 kg bigger than the recommendations and we have never regretted it.

As someone else noted - I've never met anyone who said they regretted getting a bigger anchor (provided their winch etc can handle the load)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 06:48   #21

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Best dish ware for blue water is Stainless. Stainless insulated cups and mugs.
I’m trying to locate 316 dog bowls for stew.
Since I spend half my life in downward facing dog with tools in the bilge, I figured it would save time and I could get everything fixed.
My manatees never use napkins.
Happy trails to you
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 14:43   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We have an S200, just over 120#, on our 60' 45t ketch. With 250' of 7/16" chain we feel fastened to the bottom with bolts. Great anchor; fast sets and rock solid holding
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 17:15   #23

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

I have an S160 (77 lbs.) with 300ft. of chain on my Lord Nelson 41. It sets and holds rock solid. Probably overkill but it fits with room to spare and is handled effortlessly by a LightHouse 1501 windlass. It replaced a 65lb. CQR as the main anchor which was very unreliable.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Bluewater, cruising, size, water