Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 09:21   #1

Boat: Ta Chiao CT34 - 34' - The Brass Monkey
Solo Anchoring Techniques Sans Windlass ?

I've only ever solo'ed for day trips, and once at a marina overnight. However, I really like the idea of the peace and solitude of anchoring out alone, but I must say I'm somewhat intimidated at the prospect.

Assuming the weather is cooperating and the forecast is accurate, does anyone have any techniques / order of operations that they have found work well for both dropping the hook and retrieving?

My set up:

* 20kg (44lb) Rocna on 40 ft of 3/8 HT on 275 ft of 3/4" nylon double-braid.

* The boat is a 34 ft sailboat, full keel, approx. 18k lbs displacement loaded.

* The anchor fits well on the roller and will deploy freely and the bowsprit keeps it clear of the hull as it drops unaided.

* There are two samson posts just aft of the bowsprit, and a hawse holes to port and stbd about 3ft aft of the bow and 5-6ft aft of the roller on the bowsprit.

I suspect this will involve some nimble antics on my part, but I would be very grateful if anyone could share any hard-won tips, tricks or procedures to make the process smoother...

Cheers,
Rob
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47   #2

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
i solo pretty much exclusively and anchor out all the time. i have a 22lb bruce 50 ft of 5/16 chain and 200 ft of 1/2 rode. as well no windlass. i do however have an autopilot that helps keep the boat in track while im setting or retrieving the anchor. i dont have any problems doing this solo.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53   #3

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
As you have no way to control your deployment of rode,letting out the right amount and cleating it off before going taut is crucial.Wear leather gloves.Drop anchor and chain as boat drifts back slightly, as it hits bottom let out lots of rode, quickly if it is windy.Make sure you have more than enough scope for the initial pull so it doesn't drag and sets where you dropped it.Keep fingers clear!Retrieving is a little trickier,motoring over anchor a few times as you hoist is easiest when wind is less.Once it breaks free you have to be quick.Always keep rode in front of legs when raising.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55   #4

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
I'm usually in much smaller boats, so this may not be quite what you're looking for.... but it works for me when I don't have anyone to handle the anchor.

First thing: Learn how your boat drifts. If you drop all sails and leave the engine in neutral, where does she point her bow and how fast does she drift downwind? (On Sunset Chaser, the bow quickly swings to about 150 deg. off the wind and we drift about a metre every five to ten seconds in force 3. One other boat I often use points nearly upwind, and a third prefers to lie beam-on.)

To anchor: Knowing the depth (say 15 metres) and our drift rate (say a metre in five seconds), and knowing that it takes me about 20 seconds to run forward and fiddle with the anchor, then another second per metre to let out rode, I'll guess that I need to drop the hook- in this case- about 35-40 seconds, or eight metres, upwind of where I want it to actually land. Then I add another five to eight metres because the thing tends to drag a bit before setting. More wind = farther upwind, deeper = farther upwind.

With your heavier anchor and rode, you'll be slower to let it out (and maybe in deeper water), so guessing exactly how far you'll drift while you're up on the bow becomes a bit trickier- but far from impossible.

Oh, and leave the engine idling in neutral while doing this... just in case you drift too fast, and need to run back and put it in gear....
Old 09-09-2010, 10:14   #5

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
I suspect that you know the real answer: get an autopilot and get a windlass. Short of that, these ideas will help but you'll need a fair dose of good luck. That's a pretty heavy anchor to be pulling up from any depth as your boat drifts onto a lee shore!

In any wind/depth I'd be tempted to rotate on the anchor to be stern to the wind; drop a little anchor off the stern with sufficient rode to get up & down over the main anchor. Haul in the main anchor and then deal with the stern anchor from the cockpit.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
As you have no way to control your deployment of rode,letting out the right amount and cleating it off before going taut is crucial.Wear leather gloves.Drop anchor and chain as boat drifts back slightly, as it hits bottom let out lots of rode, quickly if it is windy.Make sure you have more than enough scope for the initial pull so it doesn't drag and sets where you dropped it.Keep fingers clear!Retrieving is a little trickier,motoring over anchor a few times as you hoist is easiest when wind is less.Once it breaks free you have to be quick.Always keep rode in front of legs when raising.
Good point! Do you think should I lay out the rode on the deck and cleat off before deploying the anchor?

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but I've seen things go from serene to crazed in a heartbeat when anchoring, so I'm just trying to limit as many variables as possible...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25   #7

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
when pulling up to my anchor spot i go up front get my anchor setup ready. pull all my chain out lay it on the deck cleat the anchor off so its all ready to go. its work but definately doable.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:33   #8

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Keep it below deck if you can,letting it run out as boat drifts back to near its resting location.Not very safe all piled on deck.Just make sure you know how much you let out,and cleat it.Go back to controls and see how she sits,power back over it if not happy with end result.If the wind is up, an 18000 lb. boat is gonna yank hard and set that anchor in an instant.I would seriously consider getting a manual or electric windlass with all chain,and an autopilot with remote,makes solo anchoring much easier and safer.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rou-Coo View Post
I suspect that you know the real answer: get an autopilot and get a windlass. Short of that, these ideas will help but you'll need a fair dose of good luck.
No doubt.

Thanks for the feedback - this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Until the windlass makes its long way up the budgeted to-do list, I'll likely either stick to quite shallow anchorages or just acknowledge that the marina is most sensible until my kit's better able to handle it.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58   #10

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Congrats on using a good size anchor for your boat! It is on he 'almost too large' size for easily recovering without a windlass. Does Rocna make a 15kg model? However, you DO have an easy manner of controlling your drop.

Prior to anchoring, ease the anchor out sufficient to hang clear of the bow roller.

Take a couple turns around one of those samson posts. Yup, it's chain so they'll lose their varnish/paint.

Once you've picked out your spot and come to a dead stop, head to wind, you should be able to carefully remove your turns of chain on the samson post and ease the anchor out as you gather sternway/drift. Do it hand over hand if you want to keep that chain from scuffing up the samson post.

After the chain is out beyond the roller you can just feed the anchor line out. If it's blowng a bit so that you have begun to gather good sternway, just take a round turn around your mooring cleat. Snub when sufficient line has been payed out, make fast.

Easy-peasy.

When recovering the anchor and chain, you will have a period of time where the anchor is no longer holding you and yet it's still either on the bottom or slowing coming up. Once you've only got chain out and you begin drifting too close to other boats or shore, you can wrap the chain around the samson post and get the boat back upwind under power. Stop again and work on anchor recovery, (lather, rinse, repeat as necessary)

You will need gloves and you'll soon likely spring for a windlass or else be in far better shape than I am. The worst thing about not having a windlass is that you tend to only want to anchor once. When it's easy to recovery, you'll be more likely to re-anchor when you're just a 'little' too close to someone else.

Of course, if the samson posts don't permit enough wraps of chain to hold the anchor or you don't want to mess them up, well, you'll go for that windlass again pretty quick.

And yes, simple wraps can let go unexpectedly so you need to be able to ensure that it doesn't slip. This takes a bit more time and care which often doesn't happen when in a hurry.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42   #11

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
Good point! Do you think should I lay out the rode on the deck and cleat off before deploying the anchor?
Yes. This is what I do. It helps me to determine how much length I want out in total, as well as cleating the rode before it comes under pressure. I have a 36' boat with 5' draft, I generally try to anchor in 7'-8' of water, assuming 3' of topsides and 7x scope that's about 70' of chain and rode. So, I make a loop from the anchor locker to the stern (roughly 70'), cleat the rode off there, and then put it all back into the locker. When I deploy, I usually try to come to a stop, let it out until it bottoms plus a few extra feet, let the boat drift back a bit while dragging, and then just let the line run out on it's own until taut (followed by briefly backing down).

Bringing it in, I usually pull the boat up to the anchor by hand, rather than motoring towards it (this isn't really that hard in my 36...), and once I get to the chain I use the windlass. Of course if it's blowing hard you can't do this (I generally try to anchor somewhere where i won't be exposed to quite that much wind), in that case it does get tricky. I try to motor almost over top of the anchor, put it in neutral (which usually over-runs the anchor, which is OK, you'll be drifting backwards), run up and pull up as much line as possible, run back to the cockpit, repeat.

If you're not in a tight anchorage in a lot of wind, it's probably a lot easier than you might think. I do it all the time (especially early mornings when my "crew" is all still asleep and I know we need to get underway...). pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
Congrats on using a good size anchor for your boat! It is on he 'almost too large' size for easily recovering without a windlass. Does Rocna make a 15kg model?
Thanks. Yes, they do make a 15kg version, but I was right on the cusp of the 20kg vs. 15kg recommendation (Rocna Anchors - Sizing Recommendations), so I opted to go a bit oversized.

I figured I'd have the anchor for 15+ years, but only be a year or so without a windlass, so this year I just needed to accept a bit of a workout when retrieving...

Thanks again for the help. I think what I'll do is try it a couple of times when my wife's with me, and just have her stand ready to help. I should be able to get a sense of whether this a feasible without fear of endangering anyone or anyone's boats.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48   #13

No big deal. I have a 55lb delta with 100ft of 5/16" chain (odd combo, no?).

Deployment: Sometime before, in open water, go forward and get things ready. Probably after dousing the headsail. The sail around to find a good spot. Watch the depth. Loop around to clear the area. Sail very slowly as you approach the chosen spot by keeping the main eased. Then turn into the wind and completely ease the mainsheet. Go forward and gently lower the anchor. Use gloves. Try to detect when it hits bottom then let out only a little more until you are sure the bow has drifted away from the anchor. Then slowly let out the rest of the rode. There is no need to hurry any of this. You can set the anchor, if needed, by backing the main, or sailing gently up to the anchor then drifting hard back, or by just quickly and firmly pulling in some rode.

It can be a bit stressful in a crowded anchorage or if the wind is up.

Retrieval: Eat a good breakfast and wear gloves. You will shortly realize one benefit of anchoring in shallower water. If winds are light set the main. If stronger set a reefed main or plan to hoist later. Can you easily sail out of the anchorage? If not resign yourself to using the engine .

Pull the anchor up. Do it slowly. I sit, brace my feet, and pull like I'm rowing. Wait for the boat to drift up. You can trim the main some and she might tack up to the anchor all on her own. It can take some time or a good pull to break out. Or maybe a wave or wake. Or maybe a little sailing around on no scope. Some kind of one-way chain snubber-ratchet-thing is very handy here. If it doesn't break out you need not worry about drifting away, obviously. After breaking out get the anchor aboard and secure without much delay. Make sure the piled chain won't go overboard, like with a sailtie. Don't fret the mud and weed - get the boat sailing away then deal with it later.

Tip on sailing around in an anchorage. Keep maneuvering speed on at all times no matter what. Be ready to duck boats even if you're sure you can clear their anchor gear.

Patience.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 13:01   #14
cruiser

In colder, coral free waters, where you only need a short length of chain , running the rode along the side deck and stowing it in a milk carton in the cockpit, lets you use a sheet winch and raise or lower it from the cockpit , close to your engine controls and tiller.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 14:05   #15

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
I must say I'm somewhat intimidated at the prospect.
Every boat's anchoring 'system' is unique, or nearly so.

Go to some protected place with enough room to play in shallow water with settled weather, and practice. Once you've done it a few times you will not be intimiated. It's not rocket science. You just need to do it a few times to gain confidence.

I solo anchor and grap mooring buoys frequently. It's not difficult. Just takes a little practice to get the obvious mistakes behind you. At this point, it's easier to do it solo even when I have other people onboard because people just introduce new variables I would rather not deal with.

Docking. however, I welcome help especially in side winds.

Tags
anchor, anchoring