Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:35   #16

Boat: Peterson 46
I think I have posted this before about snubbers, so apologies for repeating myself but;
I use the same idea as most - the ss hook on a length of nylon (24mm diam). The nylon is shackled below (outside) the bow roller - so there is zero chafe and zero noise.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:39   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I like to keep it simple and cost effective. I use something similar to the picture the OP posted. I've got 2 40' pieces of 3/4" 3-strand thimble spliced at one end and free at the other. I don't like single point failures and things would have to go pretty far south for two lines to separate. I use chafe gear and vary the length of the snubber depending on conditions.

I found that a single line seemed to make the boat sail a bit more but it seemed to me that using a snubber would do that regardless. With a few feet of catentary I don't worry about the hook falling off and the stainless thimbles and shackle seem quite durable. When the 3-strand tires or chafes, I hack off the bad part and either re-splice or replace the 3-strand.

I also never tie the snubber to the windlass - only to the bow cleats. In my opinion, the windlass should be used to raise and lower the anchor and chain; not act as a sampson post for the ground tackle.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 512 51 feet 6inches
One of the things I have noticed with many snubbers is that they are far too short to be really effective. I have 200 feet of 3/8ths BBB chain for anchoring.I use a 3/4 inch nylon line snubber that runs from a snig on the chain right back over the roller to my sbd. mid-ships cleat. This means the single snubber line is about 35 foot long. With a 110 lb claw I have ridden 80 mile an hour winds on this gear and have the option to double the length of the snubber if I want to. To stop chafe (and it seems to work well) I run the forward end of the snubber through some 1 and a half inch plastic hose. This rides on the roller. I have to change this about every three years. I notice that in extreme winds the snubber will stretch maybe 3 feet under load....but it sure takes the snap out of the chain.
newlazydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:06   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Good point newlazydays. I tend to adjust the snubber so that the hook is a few inches above the water at maximum sag.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
I think I have posted this before about snubbers, so apologies for repeating myself but;
I use the same idea as most - the ss hook on a length of nylon (24mm diam). The nylon is shackled below (outside) the bow roller - so there is zero chafe and zero noise.
This is a great and somewhat out of the box solution. Can you share a photo of your setup?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:28   #21

Boat: Horizon 39
A practice I follow is to slip your line a few inches occasionally to spread out the stress points and before it gets too tired to end over end it. Then find another use for it.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i love firehose--is one of the best things i ever found for chafe gear. i add it to mst all of my potential for chafe lines.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13   #23

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I use about 20 feet or retired climbing rope with a hook on the end. One reason I use a snubber is to protect the bow roller, so I run it through a chock which has caused very little wear. If it did, I'd just cut another piece of rope. At one time, I just slid a piece of tubular webbing over the rope where it was in contact with the chock to reduce wear.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I use about 20 feet or retired climbing rope with a hook on the end. One reason I use a snubber is to protect the bow roller, so I run it through a chock which has caused very little wear. If it did, I'd just cut another piece of rope. At one time, I just slid a piece of tubular webbing over the rope where it was in contact with the chock to reduce wear.
Yes, tubular webbing is the thing. I've been using it on mooring gear for 25 years. 1-inch fits up to 1/2-inch line and 2-inch fits up to 1-inch line

Sail Delmarva: Anchor and Bow Details

The advantage of a 2-line snubber of bridle is that you can adjust for when wind and wave are not from the same angle, which is common. I have one snubber with fixed loops, which is faster, but I also use and adjustable version, cleated off.

Most chain snubbers are WAY too short. They will fail unless it is long enough to absorb the wave action, which means 1-3 feet of stretch at working load, which means at LEAST 15-30 feet. The 3- to 6-foot snubbers I often see are beside the point and destine to fail; they are exposing line to chain-type surges, without allowing it to show it's strength, which is stretch. They are the result of not understanding the combination of steady and pulsing forces, and the strengths of each material.

Plates are common too, either purchased or homemade. This one I fabricated to my own dimensions:

Sail Delmarva: The Ultimate Chain Hook for Catmarans...

It is utterly dependable and very versatile. I made my own because I wanted the extra attachment point and I wanted the gate (that may be an original adaptation - I have seen imitations since).

Yeah, I'm a climber from WAY back.

Climber's Guide to Old Rag Mountain, Virginia
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Use a rolling hitch to attach the snubber to the chain. It won't come unhooked at embarassing times, is free, and readily available. Chafe is not a problem with the rope to chain attachment. Used a rolling hitch with the same 5/8" line to anchor for nearly two years in SoPac.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 14:13   #26

Boat: a sailing boat
Nylon. Tied on the chain and the other end on the cleat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 13:35   #27

Boat: Westsail 32
We have a bowsprit and reeve a nylon line through a block shackled to the cranse iron. Diagram thanks to Rod of S/V Iduna, a BCC.

~Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote