Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:39   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

estarzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just thought you might get a kick out of our "super snubber." I left the shoes in the picture to give it some scale. The line is 1 inch. The contraption works great, never even feels like we're at anchor.... no tugging or chain noise at all. The chain grab on the end is an Ultra Chain grab 13mm.
How long do you find those rubber snubbers last and what sort if action do they provude in strong winds (eg are they just fully stretched out all the time in strong winds or do they still have one range if motion). I could easily add one to my brait section
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59   #17

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Re: estarzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
How long do you find those rubber snubbers last and what sort if action do they provude in strong winds (eg are they just fully stretched out all the time in strong winds or do they still have one range if motion). I could easily add one to my brait section
Do you lead your snubber through your anchor chock or to some sort of fair lead. Looks like the snubber that Kenomac made go too fair leads.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: snubber version 3

Do you experience any slipping with the Dyneema on your cleats? We haven't had enough tug on our snubber to see if its an issue here, but when trying to set splices with our cockpit winches and cleats, I typically see some slippage as I tighten the line.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

estarzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Do you lead your snubber through your anchor chock or to some sort of fair lead. Looks like the snubber that Kenomac made go too fair leads.

Jack
I have been leading it from a deck cleat to over the spare bow roller. With the new bridle design I am going to play around with some other options (like out the two bow fairleads), but I suspect over the bow roller will prove the simplest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Do you experience any slipping with the Dyneema on your cleats? We haven't had enough tug on our snubber to see if its an issue here, but when trying to set splices with our cockpit winches and cleats, I typically see some slippage as I tighten the line.
With a normal cross on the cleats, it did slip a little under high loads. I switched to using a tug boat hitch on the cleats which does not slip. I am going to experiment with some other options (like a lashing thru the new eyes) but the tug boat hitch is pretty fast and easy. A "bigger" alternative would be to switch to Dacron covered dyneema (I use for my halyards) which would not slip, but would be a bit clunkier. I will do that for version 4 if I find any further slipping problems.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:02   #20
cruiser

Quote:
When we just used one rubber snubber I could definitely see it stretch quite a bit, but now using two of them, it's not so noticeable. They last for years. Most of the shock is actually absorbed by the weight of the 1/2 chain. The rubber snubbers prevent any tugging by the chain and allow at least one foot of stretch. Each line coming off the snubber is routed through the end of our double bow roller.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:16   #21
cruiser

Follow up to my previous post:

The primary reason I added the rubber shock absorbers to the snubber lines was to eliminate the pulling, stretching or grinding noises at night from snubber lines and chain. It's worked very well, no more noises to wake us up. It's as if we're not attached to anything and just floating free.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 15:24   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^

Actually my current solution is dead quiet, because the dyneema out over the roller is not stretching back and forth (unlike a full nylon snubber). All the stretching happens off the boat.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:49   #23

Boat: Pearson 33

Quote:
Here is something I wrote on version 2, it has some pics and discussion on the soft shackle. There are descriptions all over the web on how to make them - very easy, a sliding loop with a diamond stopper knot.

Version 2 snubber

The heat build up problem is related to the nylon stretch, and is not a problem with dyneema.
Thanks again, very helpful.
dugout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04   #24

You should cruise the Med and check out how the average sailor here sets a snubber. About 12"-24" from the chain hook to the bow roller
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:25   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You should cruise the Med and check out how the average sailor here sets a snubber. About 12"-24" from the chain hook to the bow roller
That's not a snubber then. It is taking the load off the windlass gypsy though.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 13:41   #26

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Read somewhere about a cruiser who sets the chain hook (substitute soft shackle) just above the water line so stuff doesn't grow/attach. BUT he runs the 5/8th 3-strand snubber over the bow roller and back along the deck to a mid-ship cleat.

Gives a long enough run to act as snubber and not just anchor windlass relief. Seems reasonable, depending on deck layout...
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:07   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Splicing question, hope it's ok to butt in here.

I'm making another snubber for Rain Dog. I'm just not sure which splice to use between the 3 strand 7/16 (30ft)and the endura braid with dyneema core (ordered 10 feet but not sure I'm going to use all of it). I will also have a "rubber snubber" in the three strand section.

So which splice would you all advise for three strand to endura braid double braid?

Splice to splice, meaning two eye splices?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32   #28

Never heard the term TUG BOAT HITCH before. Could someone bring me out of my ignorance????? ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Never heard the term TUG BOAT HITCH before. Could someone bring me out of my ignorance????? ______Grant.
I would guess two bowlines entwined would be one answer.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Evans posted a link to the tug boat hitch in the preceding snubber thread. Very interesting, and when we get back to our boat, boy am I going to practice it. I want to be able to do it blindfolded, just like we can do bowlines.

Ann