Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2020, 06:32   #1

Boat: Caliber 33
Snubber for rope rode

Hi all,

I am scouring the web for tips on how to rig a snubber on my anchor rode. For an all chain rode it is simple, but my anchor rode is mostly triple strand. I tried using a rolling hitch. That works if I only cleat one end of the snubber, but if I cleat both ends, it loosens the rolling hitch. I want to spread the load to both cleats and reduce noise on the anchor roller. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a product that I can use? There are plenty for chain rode, but can't seem to find any for rope rode.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated
Laskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 06:34   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Snubber for rope rode

Easiest way to do a bridle would be to just use 2 lines. Rolling hitch or prusik hitch each one to the rode (one next to the other), then attach one line to each bow cleat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 06:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Easiest way to do a bridle would be to just use 2 lines. Rolling hitch or prusik hitch each one to the rode (one next to the other), then attach one line to each bow cleat.
Facepalm! So simple I didn't think of it.
Old 14-08-2020, 06:58   #4

well, there are a hundred ways to do it, but personally I would try either a

doubled over rolling hitch

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	221240

or a

Klemheist knot

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	221241

a rat tail stopper would be the 'merchant marine' way to do this.

Name:	rat tail.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	221244

all allow two line pull in one direction

You also could make up a short loop/strop - put it on the rode with either a klemheist or prussic, and then tie your two snubbers to the loop. Has some pros and cons vs just the methods above using the snubbers to tie to the rode
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 07:57   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

[QUOTE=Breaking Waves;3208143
You also could make up a short loop/strop - put it on the rode with either a klemheist or prussic, and then tie your two snubbers to the loop. Has some pros and cons vs just the methods above using the snubbers to tie to the rode[/QUOTE]

That was going to be my suggestion. I have a couple of those loops, spliced together, for that purpose, though I rarely need them.
https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/prusik-knot
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 08:02   #6

For a snubber on a rope rode, I typically just used the spliced eye in a dock line to prusik it to the rode, then tie it off at the cleat end (at the desired length). Works on chain too.
Old 14-08-2020, 08:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For a snubber on a rope rode, I typically just used the spliced eye in a dock line to prusik it to the rode, then tie it off at the cleat end (at the desired length). Works on chain too.
That works. I personally prefer methods that allow you to remove the snubber from the rode faster (at 0 dark hundred in driving raid lol) - to be able to tie/untie with an end or a short loop - because I find 'your' method a bit clumsy what with taking the whole snubber line thru the loop twice.

But it is a matter of preference - there are lots of ways to do it that work fine.

I will comment that honestly I dont usually put a 'snubber' on a rope rode. It is already elastic and at least on my boats has been already quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I have a couple of those loops, spliced together, for that purpose, though I rarely need them.
Yea I usually have a couple in the cockpit - good way to unload a line from a winch - if you had an overriding turn or need to temperorarily put another line on that winch
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 08:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
That works. I personally prefer methods that allow you to remove the snubber from the rode faster (at 0 dark hundred in driving raid lol) - to be able to tie/untie with an end or a short loop - because I find 'your' method a bit clumsy what with taking the whole snubber line thru the loop twice.

But it is a matter of preference - there are lots of ways to do it that work fine.

I will comment that honestly I dont usually put a 'snubber' on a rope rode. It is already elastic and at least on my boats has been already quiet.
That last bit is why I don't mind doing it the slightly hard way: I don't do it very often. Usually I just put a chafe sleeve on the main rode, leave it on the roller and cleat it to the samson post placed for that purpose.
Old 14-08-2020, 08:29   #9

So far I haven't needed a snubber, but last night I wished I had one. It was pretty windy and not having the anchor roller loaded would have been nice. So far some very good suggestions, thanks. I might also try the prusik with a line tied to that.
Old 14-08-2020, 08:42   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I like Davis' dyneema line grabbers, easily deployed, won't slip (get a longer one you can wrap twice) and less cumbersome for larger diameter line.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 08:51   #11

Boat: KP 46

A snubber just takes the load off the windlass, since you already have three strand, just take your anchor line to a deck cleat.

m
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 09:01   #12

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
A snubber just takes the load off the windlass, since you already have three strand, just take your anchor line to a deck cleat.

m
Seems like the OP wants to create a bridle type attachment from his rope rode to secure to bow cleats and take force off the bow roller, which he says is noisy.

But that's also smart, not just for noise, because I've seen many, many boats end up on the rocks or the beach when the rope rode chafed through the cheeks on the bow roller in a storm.

I use chain, but if I relied on rope, that's what i would do.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 09:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post

m
Yeah that is true, but I can imagine that it could be hard to reach around a headstay or pulpit and pull the line to a chock and then a cleat if you wanted to get the tension off the roller. Easier and safer to hitch it with another line that is already cleated and then release the anchor rode.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-08-2020, 09:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
But that's also smart, not just for noise, because I've seen many, many boats end up on the rocks or the beach when the rope rode chafed through the cheeks on the bow roller in a storm.

Chafe on the roller cheeks is definitely an issue on many boats. I mitigate it with a velcro closure chafe sleeve, but in heavy weather, I'll let a snubber take the load (through the roller typically) and put another chafe sleeve on that to reduce the risk of damaging the actual rode. I tend to avoid bridling to my bow cleats as I have a pulpit, so as we yaw around the bridle lines sometimes chafe against the pulpit.
Old 14-08-2020, 09:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Seems like the OP wants to create a bridle type attachment from his rope rode to secure to bow cleats and take force off the bow roller, which he says is noisy.

Yes. I don't yaw much since I'm anchored bow/stern here, but, and I haven't tried this, I'd consider a short length of chain with a short length of nylon spliced to both ends that I could hitch to a nylon rode and let the chain section go over the roller. A maxi I crewed on once needed a tow and we went through 3 of four big nylon lines in a couple of hours due to chafe. Even steel cable was a bad idea. We ended up with chain jammed in the hawseholes as the solution.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
rode, rope