Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 15:28   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Single Centerline Hawse Pipe....

I currently am looking at a way to put the anchor on my Offshore 38. I was thinking about putting it in hangers off the pulpit but then I saw this ship on Discovery channel and thought its centerline hawse might be a good idea. Since the boat is steel and has an anchor well, I thought I could put a single steel pipe in, with the anchor rode coming up inside the anchor well. Heres a photo of the ship.

File:Absalon.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a Fortress 23 that I want to use as my main, with a CQR and a Fisherman as backup.

Anyone care to comment on the feasability of this? As for installing it, it should be fairly simple.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 15:48   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
A hawsepipe on a small vessel is unnecessary and not a good idea. The main drawback is getting the anchor into the hawsepipe when weighing anchor. It is not easy, just think about it. The anchor comes up vertical and then jams as it tries to get into the hawse as the angle is not good or the anchor is the wrong way around. When homing the anchor the flukes will scrape the paint off and your steel boat will rust quickly. Also you will always have to live with the same anchor. After some time cruising you might want to change your primary anchor from the Fortress but with the hawsepipe your choice will be very limited. The hawsepipe will rust fairly quickly as it will be difficult to keep the inside of the pipe protected. These are a few of the problems I see.