Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 12:32   #1

Boat: See URL for club boats
Simpson-Lawrence Manual Winch

I am trying to clean and lube a Simpson-Lawrence manual winch but can't figure how to take it apart. I can't figure out the model either.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Since I can't get it apart I soaked the whole thing in a bowl of mineral spirits for a couple days and then sat there spinning the drum in the fluid. I was rewarded with a small pile of debris. Next step of the scheme was to lubricate the whole thing by soaking in oil and call it done.... BUT... the darn pawl won't move. The Pawl locks the drum from rotating. I am not sure if it has a second function.

Right now the windlass rotates in one direction. This would allow you to pull up an anchor but you can't lock the windlass while you secure the anchor. It also does NOT help you lower an anchor if you want a slow controlled drop.

I have tried WD-40 repeatedly on the pawl and used a hammer to bang away at it. I finally got it going back and forth with the hammer but tying a hammer to the fore-deck does not seem like a desirable solution.

So, can anyone shed light on how to take the thing apart or or get the pawl - the thing sticking to the right in the picture - to move?
Adam Safier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 17:25   #2

Boat: 1973 Challenger 40
Re: Simpson-Lawrence Manual Winch

http://www.lewmar.com/assets/img/dat...man_Manual.pdf
Sailor Robius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simpson lawrence, winch