Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2013, 06:40   #1

Simpson Lawrence burn out problems

I have a SImpson Lawrence Horizon Express windlass on a Moody 42 using 10 mm chain and a 45lb CQR and despite religously avoiding unecessary overload have managed to burn out 2 motors in the last 18 months. I am told by SL Spares that I can easily introduce a 4th gear but they were unsble to comment on the extent of the reduced speed of recovery. Has anyone experience of this. I am wary of spending yet more money on this and the yard I am in in Greece has suggested swapping it over for a Lofrans Cayman 88.
Any views would be appreciated
Dale-Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 07:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Simpson Lawrence burn out problems

Sorry to hear about your problems with the windlass. So far so good with my 1984 model Seawolf. Have spoken with John at SL Spares a few times and he seems to be the expert on the older SL models.

Did he say what it would cost to add the 4th gear? I'm guessing it would be a whole lot cheaper than a new windlass. If so I would give it a try to see how it works.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 08:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dale-Harris.

The retrieval speed would depend upon the specific gear ratio.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 08:25   #4

Boat: Boatless Again

The motor burnout may be due to low voltage/high current. You should check your circuit connections and protection (circuit breaker). Use a clamp-on ampmeter and voltmeter to check the current and voltage at the motor while hauling up the chain and anchor. The voltage should be no less than 11 volts, and the current should be considerably less than the windlass wattage rating divided by 12--or less than 100 amps. If the motor stalls, the circuit breaker should pop in a fraction of a second.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 08:35   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To piggy-back on Donradcliffe's post above (#4), I'd like to add that getting a different motor at this point seems to be asking for the same burnout problem IF what's going on is a low voltage/high current problem that can be fixed. ALL those connections need to be really good, just a little corrosion or being slightly loose can cause a lot of drop, It's dirty hands time, guys, IMO, but with the possibility of a real solution. Also, is the wire as big as it is supposed to be, or did someone use lesser diameter wire than needed? Things to check.

Ann
Old 13-10-2013, 08:45   #6

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I recently changed the windlass on a Beneteau. Not only did they size the windlass too small, but, because they were stingy, the power cables were too small, and to compound it, hid even smaller wires in shrink tubing to get the power through a small bulkhead hole. I didn't discover than until I had completely removed the existing power cabling. The owner reported that he couldn't even pull the chain completely off a 20 foot deep anchorage without popping the circuit breaker due to overheating. Now, they are happy.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 12:09   #7

Many thanks for the helpful responses on this excellent forum.
I have now had the electrics checked out and all is apparently OK with good connections and a more than adequate main cable size of 80mm2. The problem would appear to be that the Simpson Lawrence with a 700w motor is simply not man enough for the size of anchor and chain plus a yacht weighing a total of 12.5 tons anchoring in depths of 15m. Quite why Moody skimped on windlass size is a bit of a mystery but I suppose the majority of owners choose marinas rather than anchoring. A 1500w Lofrans Tigress is the suggested replacement.
Dale-Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 12:16   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I recently changed the windlass on a Beneteau. Not only did they size the windlass too small, but, because they were stingy, the power cables were too small, and to compound it, hid even smaller wires in shrink tubing to get the power through a small bulkhead hole. I didn't discover than until I had completely removed the existing power cabling. The owner reported that he couldn't even pull the chain completely off a 20 foot deep anchorage without popping the circuit breaker due to overheating. Now, they are happy.
Great Job, Roy M! What a sneaky, embarrassing installation you had to make good. Well done.

Ann

And to the OP, Yup, guess you need a bigger motor, and good to know, too; but wise of you to make those other checks first.

A
Old 14-10-2013, 13:55   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I have the same windlass with 3/8 chain and a 45# Manson Supreme. I anchor all winter using the windlass frequently. I have yet to burn out a motor although after 8 years I had to get a new motor as the brushes were shot and I couldn't get any replacement brushes from the Scottish outfit that built the motor.

I would suspect low voltage for the motor failure. Happened to a buddy with the same windlass that tried to weigh anchor with low batteries.

When I first bought the boat I thought the windlass was sort of mickey mouse but it has surprised me. For a cheap windlass it has worked pretty good.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38   #10

Do you still have the old windlass? Love to get my hands on it for a couple of parts!
keao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keao View Post
Do you still have the old windlass? Love to get my hands on it for a couple of parts!
If you're addressing my post I put in a new motor. I have the old motor and all it needs is someone to modify some brushes to fit.

Here's my old post:
Having problems finding brushes for a Lewmar windlass. The motor is a Lemac model#65579-053 made by Lothian Electric in Scotland. Have tried to contact them, no joy so far. Any help greatly appreciated. Lewmar USA is not open till Jan 8.

Got the new motor here:
Give Florida Rigging &Hydraulics a try, they rebuilt my old SL windlass and they are a Lewmar master parts distributor. 800-718-1649.

Tags
enc, simpson lawrence