Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 13:57   #1

signaling scope in a crowded anchorage...

new to the forum and to sailing but I've seen and heard some comments on concerns over how much scope a neighboring boat may have out in a crowded anchorage sometimes it can be hard to reach the boats you are anchored near if their crews are out or something. I wonder if something like those flip score board numbers they use in sporting events might be useful to hang from the lifeline off the port and starboard quarters off the life lines or pushpits.

something like this with the scope to 1 or I guess you could probably laminate or have ones custom made for it. secure it with a rubber band or velcro to ensure if if its windy it flips back correctly.

Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 16:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: signaling scope in a crowded anchorage...

Since people can't even pull off an anchor ball (myself included), how on earth would we bother with that? And what's to stop someone from claiming 10:1 to keep a big circle open when they actually only have 3:1?
It's not a bad idea, I just don't see it becoming practically implemented.
Old 07-04-2021, 17:16   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

dont anchor in crowded anchorage.

If you have to, stay on board at all times and have engines ready and plenty of long sticks to push boat away.

No doubt you will meet boat that will anchor in front of you and un-anchor your anchor. These are most bitter types but abound in large cities. Wives are typically alchocolics. Be prepared !

Or move away from crowds in deeper water.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 17:32   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Fortunately, have never needed to anchor in a crowded anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	236122  
Old 07-04-2021, 17:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

it can be a pain in the butt....some folks think 100:1 scope is necessary to anchor...and if the wind veers, they will be all over the anchorage...one minute across the bay...the next...bumping into you....and it will be all your fault.....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 17:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Feet ?
Meters ?
Fathoms?

Yes, good idea.

But we are dealing with humans, not some competent species.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:08   #7

The concept is valid and clever; now getting yachties to do such routinely and accurately, well that is an issue.

If the anchorage was uniform in depth then knowing the scope played out by the vessels near you would be useful. If depth varies significantly then knowledge of their scope will be of lesser value.

The posting of the numbers has more usefulness than displaying an anchor day shape signal, IMHO.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:17   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The posting of the numbers has more usefulness than displaying an anchor day shape signal, IMHO
Perhaps, until you are struck by another vessel whilst at anchor . Then the black ball comes into its own.

And in my observation, all too many boaters not only would not bother with the number tags, they don't really know how much scope they have out in the first place.

To be honest, this scheme sounds like a solution looking for a problem, for we've gotten along pretty well without it.

Jim
Old 07-04-2021, 18:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps, until you are struck by another vessel whilst at anchor . Then the black ball comes into its own.

And in my observation, all too many boaters not only would not bother with the number tags, they don't really know how much scope they have out in the first place.

To be honest, this scheme sounds like a solution looking for a problem, for we've gotten along pretty well without it.

Jim
Indeed, the black ball could be exceptionally valuable when it comes to asserting liability for an allision.

The black ball does communicate the status of the vessel, if one can see the darn thing.

I suppose the display of scope ratio could an alternative means of communication of the anchored status of a vessel with a bit added information being exchanged.

When one does bump into someone while at anchor it is proper etiquette to provide them with a jar of Grey Poupon mustard.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 19:08   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

The idea of communicating how much scope you have out is a good one. But I don't think a simple number would do it -- not unless it was standardized or the message was explicit.

When I'm in a busy anchorage I try to communicate with boats already there, but of course it is not always possible. Personally, I would rather see people following normally accepted anchoring scopes. And in fact, I think most boats do this.

Despite the stories, I've rarely encountered the anchoring jerk who puts out way too much rode, or isn't reasonably considerate of others. I agree with Jim; it's largely a solution in search of a problem.

As for the anchor ball, I think that is really a different thing that addresses a different issue. I've never used one, and don't know anyone who does. I can't honestly recall ever seeing one in use. But as we determined in a previous thread, I think this depends on the region.
Old 07-04-2021, 19:33   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If in an "anchorage," needing more than 5 to 1 scope means the anchorage is not.
Old 07-04-2021, 22:14   #12

Boat: 1985 C&C 33-2

I would attribute overly long rhode, in many situations, to inexperience as opposed to inconsideration. Last summer we met many with their new "Covid" boats - 25' over nighters swinging on a 150 or 200 foot radius in not that deep water.

Many go by the scope rule without consideration for the local wind predominance/ forecast. Sometimes you know that only 3:1 or perhaps less will be just fine.

I'm not implying this is excusable, one should make an effort to learn the rules / etiquette before undertaking a new pastime!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The idea of communicating how much scope you have out is a good one. But I don't think a simple number would do it -- not unless it was standardized or the message was explicit.

When I'm in a busy anchorage I try to communicate with boats already there, but of course it is not always possible. Personally, I would rather see people following normally accepted anchoring scopes. And in fact, I think most boats do this.

Despite the stories, I've rarely encountered the anchoring jerk who puts out way too much rode, or isn't reasonably considerate of others. I agree with Jim; it's largely a solution in search of a problem.

As for the anchor ball, I think that is really a different thing that addresses a different issue. I've never used one, and don't know anyone who does. I can't honestly recall ever seeing one in use. But as we determined in a previous thread, I think this depends on the region.
APWTryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 22:33   #13
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Don't forget there is supposed to be someone on watch all of the time ......
😂
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:32   #14

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross

Could always have some fun with naval flag signals - for example the following signal:

ED3 - 045 - 1 translates to:

My anchor bears 045 at a range of 100 yards from my foremast - you would need a copy of the old NATO Maritime Tactical Signal and Maneuvering Book to decode. Never saw this type of signal in my grey funnel line days.
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:36   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Maybe this would be a good addition to AIS protocols? Add the ability to indicate that you're anchored (class A already has this), as well as report water depth and length of rode deployed. And if you really wanted to get fancy, distance / bearing to anchor or just anchor location.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, scope