Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 09:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Should you anchor from the stern in a storm?

I have read an interesting point of view about anchoring from the stern in heavy storm conditions.

I wonder what do you think about it or maybe tried it, it makes sense.

You can find it here https://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/p...ordan52006.pdf
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:27   #2

Boat: Alajuela 33
Re: Should you anchor from the stern in a storme?

It seems to me that in high winds you also get wave action which the hull is more stable taking from the bow.
The easier fix for the tacking is to rig an anchor riding sail on the aft stay. Then your “feathers” are in the correct orientation.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:30   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The short answer is no. Most hulls and companionways are far more resistant to waves and spray that hit from the bow.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:51   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Anchoring from the stern or other locations is a good tactic that can at times be useful. I am surprised it is not used more. This can be used to adjust the sun angle (if it is wrong when anchored from the bow) so it is more pleasant in the cockpit or even for mundane reasons such as producing less shade on the solar panels. All that is needed is a thin line from the stern to the anchor chain. This can be released easily and by adjusting the length the angle can be changed. Very easy to do.

The biggest problem is in crowded anchorages other boats get very confused when you are anchored, but not pointing into the wind or prevailing current.

However, I don’t think stern anchoring is a suitable heavy weather tactic for most yachts. When I have used this technique even in moderate wind it creates considerable extra drag, especially when any wave action is hitting the stern.

I would suggest owners give this a try before contemplating adopting it in heavy weather.

A slightly different technique that I think is potentially more useful is to use a line from the anchor chain to a stern or midship cleat to yaw the boat such that it presents a slight angle to the average wind. Thus the apparent wind still comes from the bow area rather than the stern but the boat remains on an angle and on the same “tack”.

Personally, on most occasions rather than fussing with complications I am content that our good quality, oversized anchor provides enough holding power that I do not need to go out at 3am (why does the wind unexpectedly always pick up in the early hours of the morning?) to deploy something special or rig up a second anchor, as is sometimes suggested. However, it is worth educating yourself about the different possibilities.

Not all boats behave the same way and this is especially the case where the anchoring gear is marginal for the conditions. Sometimes all the tricks are worth trying.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:17   #5

Theoretical considerations aside, there is a serious practical problem...

On a sailboat with any kind of overhang on the stern (which is the vast majority of hull designs) anchoring stern to the wind will result in an intolerable level of noise, especially in an aft cabin, as each, and every, wave slaps, hard, up under the hull. This happens even in pretty mild conditions. As a routine anchoring practice for a cruising boat I couldn't tolerate it.

We have anchored our boat bow and stern in hurricane conditions in a narrow creek, so it took the worst of the storm on the stern. It works. But not if there are people aboard trying to sleep, or even just think...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR_0002.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	232120  
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:07   #6

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Anchoring, and running a drogue off the stern are 2 different things. I would never anchor off the stern. Boats are built to take the winds and seas head on, not stern first. Bows are more pointed and lighter than the stern and better able to handle oncoming seas.

A drogue isn't designed to anchor a boat and keep it stationary. Its purpose is to slow the boat's forward speed so that it doesn't start surfing down the face of the waves and broach.

A sea anchor off the bow, or a drogue off the stern will both work, but you will be going much faster downwind with the drogue.

I like the idea of running a line from a stern cleat forward to the sea anchor rode with a snatch block to hold the bow at an angle to the oncoming seas. It's a much smoother ride with less pitching and slamming.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:19   #7

I have tried anchoring from the stern in snotty conditions. NO WAY. The waves splash all over the boat as they hit the stern! and it's a cacophony! It's a mess. A bow parts the waves well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:28   #8

If experts like Skip Novak do not recommend drogues, I would pay heed. Someone who is based in Tierra Del Fuego and sailed regularly to Antartica, I would be inclined to listen to his experience since the Cape Horn area is well known for its crazy storms.

https://youtu.be/UsRxwg0yTS4
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:57   #9

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I have seen this advocated recently in an article in one of the recent sailing magazines (cannot remember which, either PBO, Sailing Today or Yachting Monthly). it was advocated to avoid boats that 'sail' on their mooring since the mast and centre of 'drag' would then be downwind of the centre of resistance (the keel). Personally I don't like the idea for several reasons that have been mentioned here. That being said in a sheltered mooring where the wind may still cause the boat to tack back and forth, it might be worth considering for a quiet night, but not long term.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:37   #10

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Since the OP showed a link to the Jordan Series Drogue in his post and a "storm" in the title, I am sure he is asking about drogues and not sea anchors.

So his post is confusing, but a short possible answer is that the drogue is meant to be used from the stern to slow the boat while still allowing some steerage, while a parachute sea anchor is meant to be used from the bow and will nearly stop the boat. Any other usage is probably unwise.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:06   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Mmm, interesting article. The author is primarily talking about mooring boats stern first, not anchoring, but the same principles apply. As a ketch owner I can see what he is saying about modern yacht design which has different priorities. If on board I would anchor as usual & leave my reefed mizzen up (sloop owners could run a taut storm jib up the backstay as a riding sail) but am not sure I would leave the boat unattended like that. Another option would be to drop a long loop of chain of the stern so it drags across the seabed to counteract the yawing.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 15:11   #12

Boat: csy 37
Re: Should you anchor from the stern in a storm?

No no no. I would have just posted a single no but the message must be at least five characters long
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 15:20   #13

Re: Should you anchor from the stern in a storm?

Most modern monohulls with the sugar scoop style stern could easily be sunk by waves washing into the companionway if anchored stern first. If waves are breaking, just so much worse and if conditions get severe enough it is bound to get to that.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 15:31   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
...I like the idea of running a line from a stern cleat forward to the sea anchor rode with a snatch block to hold the bow at an angle to the oncoming seas. It's a much smoother ride with less pitching and slamming.
In fact, a snatch block won't work. Try it. The problem is a block needs to have an equal angle on both sides, ie., in this case, the boat would have to be beam on. Bad. Same with use a snatch block to make a drogue rode. In general, snatch blocks are not robust in adjustable bridles or people would use them.

A rolling hitch will work. Perhaps that is what you read.

Anyway, try it. It may or may not help, depending on the boat. In general, it ONLY helps if the boat is prone to yawing or if the waves and wind are from different directions.

---

The other problem will become apparent the first time you open the companionway to go one deck. The weather will BLAST in. stern anchoring is only pleasant in very light winds, no rain, and warm weather. I've done it a few times to increase ventilation.

Again, the only reason is if your boat yaws a lot. That is what Jordan was getting at. There are better ways to fix the yawing.
Old 09-02-2021, 15:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have tried anchoring from the stern in snotty conditions. NO WAY. The waves splash all over the boat as they hit the stern! and it's a cacophony! It's a mess. A bow parts the waves well.
I second the motion here... we had to anchor in a storm in limited visibility and not being able to go on forward deck to deploy the anchor. We did set it from the stern and disaster..!! Not comfortable, not able to reset, not able to adjust and when our problem was fixed we could not go astern to get the anchor off. We had to put a float on the anchor line and come back the next day to get it off the bottom. The crew was traumatized and we will never set the anchor off the stern again...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor