Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 11:01   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Should I worry about keeping chain clean?

Getting ready to head out and try anchoring around the sound. My Tashiba-31 has access to the chainlocker via these nice louvered doors in the V-berth.

Am I likely to get water splash onto my bed when I raise anchor?

Do I need to worry about having mud on the chain and if so, how do I deal with that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

BTW - I'll be sailing alone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200704_10_54_40_Pro.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	218707  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Should I worry about keeping chain clean?

Many boats have a sea water pump for deck wash. Wash the chain as you haul anchor. If you are at anchor long enough scum may grow on the chain between the surface and bottom. Snorkel on the chain with a brush or let out enough additional chain so the messy section drags around the bottom for a couple days to wear off the slime.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:09   #3

I think it is unlikely that you would get water on your bed. If the chain is stored with mud on it, however, there is a good possibility that after a few days it will start to stink. For a lot of people, that's the main reason for washing off the chain as you raise it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:52   #4

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

DMK, I've been anchoring in your area for 40+ years with the same type of anchor locker that you have. Our mud must be "cleaner" than some other locations as I have never felt it necessary to clean the chain other than to remove (by hand) the bits of seaweed that make it past the bow roller.

At the end of my sailing season, I do make a habit of paying out the entire rode and rinsing with fresh water as it is brought in - more to prevent chain rusting than odor prevention.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 14:03   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Same setup on my Rafiki. If you bring up a lot of organics with the chain then they can start to smell after a while. But it's generally not hard to rinse the chain before it disappears down the chain locker.

I don't have an anchor wash so I just let it hang for a short time (maybe 10s of seconds) to let the mud fall off in the water. If it's particularly tenacious mud, or sea weed, then I a bucket to dump water down the chain, and/or use a brush. But most of the time as simple dangle in the water, maybe with some up-and-down pulls, is enough.

You won't get water slashing in from simple anchor retrivial, but I have had water splash through when in heavy seas and I'm taking big green seas on the bow, or I'm burying the bow. I've learned to plug up the hawse pipe with a sponge to limit the water coming in.
Old 04-07-2020, 14:43   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

it is easy to set up a saltwater wash down - keep the chain clean and it may last a bit on long, be easier to deploy, and not make a mess in the chain locjer that sooner or later you will have to go in and clean out,
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 14:57   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Dirty chain stinks. I always wash down ours if not on the spot then later at the dock.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:55   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Some mud is tenacious and sticky and hard to clean off, some is slimy and soupy and easy to clean off.

If you have an anchor locker with drain holes you can bring up the chain, mud and all, and wash it down later, but when sticky mud dries I find it really hard to remove or clean from the anchor locker, so I use a washdown hose when raising anchor. Doing so is the most time consuming part of raising anchor but I'd rather do that than deal with an anchor locker full of dried mud and plugged drain holes.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:10   #9

Very unlikely that there will be enough water on the rode after it has come through the spurling pipe to splash through the louvres. If they are indeed real louvres, and not just faux ones for ornamental purposes only, put a solid sheet of something like SS on the locker side of them. That'll keep any water from splashing through them. Any water that does come in with the rode will drain out through the scuppers in the bottom of the locker. The rope part of your rode is first in and will therefore lie helter-skelter in the apex of the upside down pyramid that is the locker space. The rope rode permits water to sink effortlessly to the bottom of the locker and go out the scuppers.

As Mike O'Reilly sez, it's easy to clean the rode as it comes aboard. It comes in so slowly that you can do it while capstan/windlass is running, but you see the danger in doing that, I'm sure. That's why there are "normally off" up/down switches controlling the machine. In the Salish Sea the rode will most often come in clean enough to go straight into the locker. Else just stop as necessary and clean it with your deck brush.

In an emergency situation where the rode has to come in NOW, you aren't gonna be worried about a little water!

While you are doing your pre-cruise inspection of your gear and filling your potable water tank anyway, wash out the locker with potable dockside water, using the hose, while all the rode is out of the locker for inspection anyway.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:22   #10

A salt water washdown up forward is a nice thing. If you have time sometime add one with a faucet and hose inside the chain locker. Those coily hoses work well. it can be a tap off your freshwater line in the head. But a dedicated pump and salt water uses less water. However, the fresh water one is easy and allows you to hose off the boat after it gets crusted with salt on a bump crossing to Victoria etc!

Many parts of the Sound come up pretty clean but there are spots that are real black gooey stinky stuff too. Often these are those bays that used to have log mills and pulp mills. (Port Gamble?) Or city anchorages. Simetimes clay is present and it sticks like hell, only a pressure wash will get it off!
Washdown will keep smell out of the chainlocker/V berth. Use a bucket in the meantime.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:55   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wash mine off with fresh water, no smell at all that way, and it seems it really cut down on rusting.
Probably only takes 5gl or less of water for 100’ of Chain, not muddy chain of course that’s going to take more water.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I wash mine off with fresh water, no smell at all that way, and it seems it really cut down on rusting.
Probably only takes 5gl or less of water for 100’ of Chain, not muddy chain of course that’s going to take more water.
Yeah, once I got a good watermaker (25 gal an hour) I used the freshwater deck wash liberally.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 14:18   #13

Boat: Islander 73 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
Getting ready to head out and try anchoring around the sound. My Tashiba-31 has access to the chainlocker via these nice louvered doors in the V-berth.

Am I likely to get water splash onto my bed when I raise anchor?

Do I need to worry about having mud on the chain and if so, how do I deal with that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

BTW - I'll be sailing alone
I wash my chain on every lift with fresh water, chain lasts much longer and as nearly every boat now has a water maker on board this can be done and does not use to much f/water around 10/20 lts. on a average lift.
cowtownsrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:54   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I never wanted to bring the mud into my chain locker or even on to my bow where it would run down my toe rails a streak it's way amidship. I was also stingy with power and my mornings raising the anchor was my substitute gym membership.

I would first crank in the first 15' or so of my clean rode and remove my snubbers as I would glide toward my anchor or with wind or current my wife at the helm would ease us forward. Then I would bring up the portion of my rode without mud. When my chain began to appear with a coating of mud I would use a boat hook to shake the chain while the muddy portion was still in the water.

So, here I was with a boat hook in my left hand hooking and shaking the chain and the lever to operate my manual windlass in my right hand and at intervals signaling Nancie to maneuver toward or anchor.

Most of our cruising days were filled with lounging about reading or seated at the helm. I never regretted the times of physical activity that kept me more fit.

Another reason why I was so careful with shaking the mud from my chain was that my chain locker of my 1973 vessel drained into my bilge!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:26   #15

Boat: Tartan 40

FINALLY! Someone else uses the boat hook shake the chain trick. I have been doing this for years in Chesapeake Bay which is super muddy and haven’t dewinterized my deck wash in years since this is so much easier. Of course I do have foot buttons for the windlass so one hand for boat hook, one hand for signals, and one foot for windlass. I imagine a plumb bow could require more care or chain tension....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote