Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 13:16   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Shackle Pin Wire Seizing Method

Ahoy,

I am interested in opinions about how one seizes the anchor shackle pin with wire.

I have seen many pins that have loops of wire as the method of security.

I also have seen the twisted wire method, such as used on aircraft, motorcycles, etc. as the method of wire security. The twisted wire is under slight tension in the direction that keeps the pin from backing out.

Is there reason for one or the other? What method do you use?
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 14:26   #2

Re: SHACKLE PIN WIRE SEIZING METHOD

muttskie

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1174022
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 14:34   #3

Seizing wire (stainless or Monel) wrapped a couple times through the eye of the shackle pin and around the nearest "ear" of the shackle. Then wrap both ends around the middle of the loops a couple times to snug up the loops. After that grab both ends with safety wire pliers and twist. I have McMaster-Carr part number 5296A23 and very highly recommend them. However they are a rather expensive tool for a very specific usage- I had them for my job prior to going cruising. Being on a strict budget now that I'm not working, I would not purchase them just for seizing anchor shackles. You can approximate the same results with needle nose pliers or vice grips.

Also, a plastic zip tie works almost as well. They will let the pin back out half a turn but no more, and last 6 months + of daily anchoring.
Old 30-03-2016, 15:00   #4

Boat: Ingrid

As an old helicopter pilot, I tend to default to aviation standards.
Old 30-03-2016, 15:07   #5

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

CoteMars' method is elegant. I don't have problems with my system without trimming the ear down. I would prefer a few more turns on the twist. Also twist more than needed then cut off the excess. That keeps the end nice and tight. Use needle nose plyers to turn/tuck the end in so you don't snag anything like your hands.

Monel safety wire is available from aviation suppliers. As noted on the linked thread it is far superior for this use to SS.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is the Admiralty recommended method:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse.jpg
Views:	2119
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	121691
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Shamelessly stolen from Are You Sailing with “Weak Links” in Your Rigging? | Cruising Compass

My only quibble is I prefer Monel to stainless wire.

How to Mouse a Pin to a Shackle Body

1. Cut off an eight inch length of stainless seizing wire. Hold two inches of the wire next to the shackle body with your thumb (illustration 1 – far left bitter end). Wrap the other end around the body and back through the screw-pin hole.

2. Continue to weave the long end of the wire around the body and back through the hole. Keep the turns butted up next to one another. Stop when you have two inches of wire left (illustration 2).

3. Twist both bitter ends together with needle nose pliers. Cut the twisted wires off to ½”. Push the twisted ends up against the screw-pin (illustration 3). This protects the wires from wear and chafe

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:47   #8

Boat: Ingrid

Thanks Estarzinger, I hadn't seen that before. I have two shackles that need redoing, and will give it a try.

I really think it's the monel material that is important. I inspect mine regularly so stainless isn't going to fail before I catch it, it's just that the Monel lasts so much longer.
Old 31-03-2016, 10:29   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Shamelessly stolen from Are You Sailing with “Weak Links” in Your Rigging? | Cruising Compass

My only quibble is I prefer Monel to stainless wire.

How to Mouse a Pin to a Shackle Body

1. Cut off an eight inch length of stainless seizing wire. Hold two inches of the wire next to the shackle body with your thumb (illustration 1 – far left bitter end). Wrap the other end around the body and back through the screw-pin hole.

2. Continue to weave the long end of the wire around the body and back through the hole. Keep the turns butted up next to one another. Stop when you have two inches of wire left (illustration 2).

3. Twist both bitter ends together with needle nose pliers. Cut the twisted wires off to ½”. Push the twisted ends up against the screw-pin (illustration 3). This protects the wires from wear and chafe
Friends just had their Ingrid 38 go aground on rocks and coral due to seizing wire on shackle failure on their mooring. We believe the boat to be damaged beyond current value. Our bay is noted for a lot of electrolysis happening in the Reeds Bay mooring field. The shackle was seized with stainless wire and owners were meticulous boat caregivers. I would recommend monel and check it frequently.
Old 31-03-2016, 12:00   #10

Boat: Searunner 31
Re: Shackle Pin Wire Seizing Method

I first tighten the screw petty tight with a 12" wrench then monel. Just finger tightening is problematic. The seizing is just a backup safety precaution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 13:46   #11

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

The problem when tightening hard a shackle with a wrench is that this often destroys the galvanizing on the thread, resulting in corrosion. After a few months, a hacksaw is necessary for opening the shackle.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 14:05   #12

Boat: Searunner 31

No, you lube the threads but the threads need to bind to where the screw won't self loosen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 14:28   #13

Bend the safety wire ends back, so they won't grab you and rip your clothes and flesh.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 14:36   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A couple of comments:

1. Anyone who relies upon friction, etc, to keep their anchor shackle in place is, well, bloody foolish. it takes but moments to mouse it, and a few cents worth of wire. This is a no-brainer if ever there was one!

2. Stainless vs monel wire... We've used aircraft 304 stainless seizing wire for many years for the mousing. We've never seen any signs of corrosion in the wire, and we've spent thousands of days/nights at anchor. We have had mousing get ripped physically from the shackle, likely due to encounters with debris, rocks, coral, whatever, but suspect that monel wire would have suffered the same fate.

One fault with this wire is its small diameter (.030"). I believe that its main use in aircraft is safety wiring screws, and the small diameter is needed in this application. for mousing the anchor shackle a somewhat larger wire might resist physical trauma better. When our one pound can of wire finally runs out in the distant future, i'll likely get heavier wire if I can!

Jim
Old 31-03-2016, 16:13   #15
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shackle Pin Wire Seizing Method

If an anchor shackle I tighten to the maximum till theres thread sticking out the other side and the pin is up and down with the U section.. then I peen it with a ball hammer so the thread tip flattens out to the sides.. and I figure of eight the wire a few times though the hole in the pin and the shackle.. twist the ends together and hide the tail in the 8.
If its a shackle I'll be removing from time to time I'll skip the peening.

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote