Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 06:10   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Setting a mooring

Good Mooring all,

I purchased and sunk 100 lb mushroom mooring for my girlfriends 16-ft O'Day javelin. So I just threw it over from my hard dink. I noticed that the mooring is standing straight up, meaning the bottom of the mushroom is sitting on the bottom and the ring just breaks the surface at low tide. Question is, should I pull it over so the edge bites in to the mud bottom? Appreciate any suggestions.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:19   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Setting a mooring

My experience with large mushrooms as moorings is limited to one I dropped years ago for a ski boat but if it were me I'd definitely tip it over and in the direction it will be pulled by the prevailing wind. It will likely get pulled over by having the boat moored on it the first time there is a heavy wind but it sounds like the boat's hull has the opportunity to bang against the anchor shaft a bit till that happens.

With the mushroom I dropped just a few inches of the side of the head sunk in to the mud the first year but now after 30 years nearly the whole anchor is buried.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:48   #3

Boat: Caliber 28
Re: Setting a mooring

Yes..you should tip the mooring, but it does sound like it's too tall for the waters you put it in...
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring