Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 13:23   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Securing Manson Supreme - What Do You Do ?

Just purchased a new Manson Supreme 60lb anchor. Im very excited about it as I was never very happy with the 45lb bruce we had. The Manson fits on my anchor roller well but does not want to just stay there. First off it wants to roll off and into the drink if not tied in. Secondly when I do tie it in it wants to roll around a lot on the anchor roller. Im thinking of trying a V shaped roller but figured I would ask here to see what others do to secure the Manson.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 13:39   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Securing Manson Supreme What do you do?

I have a 60# MS that replaced a 45# delta. It also rolls or self launches off the roller and mine is a V shaped roller. It doesn't roll around on the roller after I tie if off. My windlass brings it in tight, I tie it off to a cleat in my anchor chain well and then slacken the windlass to take the load off.

I don't think you will find a roller that holds it unless you want to give up it being able to self launch. The time I have had an issue is when the windlass wasn't working and I had to pull up by hand and it slipped out of my hands at the end and dropped back to the bottom.
Old 23-03-2012, 13:41   #3

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Just purchased a new Manson Supreme 60lb anchor. Im very excited about it as I was never very happy with the 45lb bruce we had. The Manson fits on my anchor roller well but does not want to just stay there. First off it wants to roll off and into the drink if not tied in. Secondly when I do tie it in it wants to roll around a lot on the anchor roller. Im thinking of trying a V shaped roller but figured I would ask here to see what others do to secure the Manson.
Absolutely a V-shaped roller. It will do a massively better job of guiding your chain, as well. You'll need either a metal one, or very hard plastic, as rubber and urethane disintegrates on slim-profile shanks. The best roller will be a gentle V with a center which is notably lower; that will keep your chain centered as well as somewhat stabilize your shank.

If you have the means to pull it up to the end of the shank where it starts down again, you'll have a better time of keeping it from rolling so much, too. Depending on your configuration (if you have a severe rise, the weight of the shank may keep it from self launching or from undue pressure in securing the chain), you may want to go to a substantial chain stopper. Anchorlift makes one such that I just bought two of at the Dania Flea Market, from Don's Salvage (Clearwater FL; likely they have more, if you want a severe discount from retail; ask for Billy Junior and say Hi from Skip).

We have the "real thing" which behaves much like what you do in the chocks, so I feel your pain. You can see what we did in the 2011 refit, Anchor section of my gallery (link in the sig), if it's of interest to you - but I haven't installed the stoppers yet...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 14:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I'm curious. We have a very similar setup and the anchor just sits there. Maybe it's only held in place by the tension in the chain!

I do tie the roll bar to the pulpit, just in case.

Now you've got me worried.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 14:41   #5

Boat: Taswell 49

I'll try and take a photo or two. Im guessing it has to do with the slope of the deck/bow/roller etc. When Skip says the "real thing" is he referring to the anchor who's name shall not be uttered?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 14:59   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
I'll try and take a photo or two. Im guessing it has to do with the slope of the deck/bow/roller etc. When Skip says the "real thing" is he referring to the anchor who's name shall not be uttered?
Voldemort ?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 15:08   #7

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
LOL Yes. I'm away from my computer, but for those who don't have one, are seriously considering buying one and want to know about the shank issue, I have a letter from the home office addressing the reality of those bought today.

As to tying the roll bar, certainly that would impede it swinging. On our boat, getting to it to untie it in a quick, hurry, emergency drop, it would be difficult at best. However, I have seen that done on more than one boat.

We have, now, a 55 pound Delta and a 33 KG Rocna (oops, sorry!) Before we moved it to secondary position, the Delta rocked a bit, too (we've not been to sea since all the anchor-related work, so don't know for sure what will happen). It's sitting on a fraction of an inch, which isn't much leverage to stop the sideways (becoming an arc) motion of the head of the anchor.

In our case, the roller assembly keeps them far enough from the boat and each other that it's of no concern to us. The previous secondary was a 75 pound CQR knockoff with a very substantial footprint on the shank. Because it's articulated, and the weight could easily shift when the head went the other way, we still had some arc result. However, the massive joint, which had the flat portion/shackle-if-you-will resting on the roller, kept that somewhat to a minimum.

Short of putting the shank in a very narrow (and stout!!) slot, you're going to have that in any case, I'd expect.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 14:40   #8

Boat: PT-11
Re: Securing Manson Supreme - What Do You Do ?

My roller has a 1/2" locking pin through it. I drilled the corresponding hole in the Manson and pin it to the roller. For longer trips we also tie it from the shank back to a cleat. Before drilling I asked the Manson guys, and they said it would be fine and to periodically spray the hole with galvanizing spray. I am sure it will corrode here first but I keep after it and so far no issues.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote