Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 14:25   #136

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16 16.4mt
Re: Sarca "Excels"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I have a quick question regarding Excel anchors. For my size boat their web site recommends a size #5 which is 26pounds if I get the aluminum model and 47 pounds if I get the galvanized. Is there a performance difference between the two? Is the main advantage of the aluminim just the lighter weight?
From sextant I think the only advantage would be weight. Anchors are usually selected on a weight basis but size does matter also. Is it a collapsible model?
Contact manufacturer Rex at Anchor Right SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au
Sextant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 18:41   #137

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I did not know if the aluminum version had a weighted tip to compensate for the lower overall weight.

The aluminum Excel tip is weighted with lead.

Lead, aluminum and salt water are generally an unhappy combination. In this case, the lead is completely sealed (by welding) inside the aluminum structure. Since no galvanizing is needed, there is no problem with fully encapsulating the lead.

The steel version of the Excel tip is also weighted but instead of lead, steel is used. In this case, molten steel is poured into the tip, then the whole anchor is galvanized. Future, re-galvanizing requires very little preparation (no lead to melt out).

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:35   #138
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

deluxe68, to answer your questions;
Once the Excel is set it's performance in holding power is directly related to the anchors surface area regardless of weight. We do use the galvanized sizing charts to choose the aluminum version.
While there are many obvious advantages to overall weight the ability to quickly disassemble for stowage is also a key factor.
The shank alloy is 7075 aluminum with a slight increase in thickness. Together these two factors produce similar strengths compared to the galvanized version. As Steve correctly points out the toe is lead weighted and fully encapsulated. There is an increase in toe weight using lead with the anchor remainder being aluminum.
On the negative side; This anchor is lighter and these two videos (as always, 'Thank You' Steve for all your efforts) are brutal and show logical results during high speed sets or resets. Once the speed is reduced it perfectly executes deep sets just like it's heavier galvanized version.
I would also add.. have a look at Steve's vids that show other modern same size steel anchors that really struggle under those extreme demands.
The aluminum Excel now has some time in the field with excellent results. Some folks had planned to use the aluminum as a backup to the galv, as a stern or kedge but now use them exclusively as their main anchors. Keep the heavier one stowed below. They feel confident in stating the performance is unnoticeable. The concern has always been corrosion and submerging for extended periods. We haven't had any issues but certainly something to be aware of and monitor.
I personally run around with a similar vessel to yours (modified heavy 2 tonner) and she sports an Excel #5 - 20kg/ 47lb galv. I feel it to be the perfect size and wouldn't hesitate to swapping out for aluminum.

Chris
Old 24-04-2018, 11:33   #139

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post

deluxe68, to answer your questions;
Once the Excel is set it's performance in holding power is directly related to the anchors surface area regardless of weight. We do use the galvanized sizing charts to choose the aluminum version.
While there are many obvious advantages to overall weight the ability to quickly disassemble for stowage is also a key factor.
The shank alloy is 7075 aluminum with a slight increase in thickness. Together these two factors produce similar strengths compared to the galvanized version. As Steve correctly points out the toe is lead weighted and fully encapsulated. There is an increase in toe weight using lead with the anchor remainder being aluminum.
On the negative side; This anchor is lighter and these two videos (as always, 'Thank You' Steve for all your efforts) are brutal and show logical results during high speed sets or resets. Once the speed is reduced it perfectly executes deep sets just like it's heavier galvanized version.
I would also add.. have a look at Steve's vids that show other modern same size steel anchors that really struggle under those extreme demands.
The aluminum Excel now has some time in the field with excellent results. Some folks had planned to use the aluminum as a backup to the galv, as a stern or kedge but now use them exclusively as their main anchors. Keep the heavier one stowed below. They feel confident in stating the performance is unnoticeable. The concern has always been corrosion and submerging for extended periods. We haven't had any issues but certainly something to be aware of and monitor.
I personally run around with a similar vessel to yours (modified heavy 2 tonner) and she sports an Excel #5 - 20kg/ 47lb galv. I feel it to be the perfect size and wouldn't hesitate to swapping out for aluminum.

Chris
Chris

Thank you for the quick reply. My biggest concern in buying an anchor is ensuring that it will fit correctly on my boat. Currently I do not have a windlass and there is not a deck opening for the chain or a dedicated chain-stopper. My yard manager is recommending a horizontal windlass in the chain locker, I would prefer a low profile vertical windlass mounted on deck just forward of the locker. If I get an anchor with a fairly short arm there should be enough room for the stopper and windlass. My current anchor, which lives in the locker, is a Fortress 37. I hate cutting a hole in the deck without looking at all of the options. Are there CAD's available for the anchors other than the ones on your web site?

deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 08:48   #140
Marine Service Provider

deluxe68, we don't have downloadable patterns as yet but working on it and coming soon. I would be happy to pattern the anchor and mail it to you. We can also take pics with tape measure along side for the areas of concern, that's the quick way.
When the Excel was being developed Rex Francis at Anchor Right Aus spent some effort to produce an anchor that would directly swap out for a CQR or Bruce. If they fit then so will the Excel. Swan bows of that vintage were designed around the CQR and am confident the Excel will fit and in fact the shank is shorter running aft on deck. The toe will slightly rest on the bow to stbd but it nests and launches just fine. The fluke is as narrow as you will find of any anchor at that toe/hull conflict point. Glue a small stainless sheet hull guard to protect the gelcoat or paint. The shank will touch the underside of that nice Reckmann furling gear without raising the drum. You do get familiar easing the shank under the gear over time.
Pros and cons to each one of these windlass installations;
On deck pro - ease of install /cost, there is room. Mounting the stopper fwd as in the pic. The big con is chain fall as it just wont go on its own. You can work with it but will hate it.
Underdeck adds that thru deck hawse/ cost. Swan typically installed a Lofrans horizontal to easily align the chain to that hawse. I never liked their deck hawse without rollers as rakes the galvanizing off the chain over time.
Still not much room for rode in that area so mounting the windlass as far aft as possible helps. There is some thought in keeping all muck off the deck, confines it.
Any person with a Swan fetish would feel ill if they saw a windlass on deck...so there is that. I'm working on a beautiful 51' of same vintage right now.
I understand your dilemma, I have no problem drilling holes in other peoples boats but struggle with my own.
Love talking anchors or just boats.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWAN 43 underdeck windlass.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	168715   Click image for larger version

Name:	SWAN 43.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	168716  

Old 25-04-2018, 21:57   #141

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
deluxe68, we don't have downloadable patterns as yet but working on it and coming soon. I would be happy to pattern the anchor and mail it to you. We can also take pics with tape measure along side for the areas of concern, that's the quick way.
When the Excel was being developed Rex Francis at Anchor Right Aus spent some effort to produce an anchor that would directly swap out for a CQR or Bruce. If they fit then so will the Excel. Swan bows of that vintage were designed around the CQR and am confident the Excel will fit and in fact the shank is shorter running aft on deck. The toe will slightly rest on the bow to stbd but it nests and launches just fine. The fluke is as narrow as you will find of any anchor at that toe/hull conflict point. Glue a small stainless sheet hull guard to protect the gelcoat or paint. The shank will touch the underside of that nice Reckmann furling gear without raising the drum. You do get familiar easing the shank under the gear over time.
Pros and cons to each one of these windlass installations;
On deck pro - ease of install /cost, there is room. Mounting the stopper fwd as in the pic. The big con is chain fall as it just wont go on its own. You can work with it but will hate it.
Underdeck adds that thru deck hawse/ cost. Swan typically installed a Lofrans horizontal to easily align the chain to that hawse. I never liked their deck hawse without rollers as rakes the galvanizing off the chain over time.
Still not much room for rode in that area so mounting the windlass as far aft as possible helps. There is some thought in keeping all muck off the deck, confines it.
Any person with a Swan fetish would feel ill if they saw a windlass on deck...so there is that. I'm working on a beautiful 51' of same vintage right now.
I understand your dilemma, I have no problem drilling holes in other peoples boats but struggle with my own.
Love talking anchors or just boats.
Chris
Thanks Chris

Most of the 40-50’ Swans have a CQR listed in their for-sale ads. That anchor is quite a bit longer than the ones on my short list (Excel and Rocna). So the Excel should probably fit.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 17:38   #142

Boat: corbin39

Deluxe68 if your in ri I live in MA. I have a steel #5 if you would like to see if it would fit
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 21:06   #143
Marine Service Provider

B-Baysailer, That is a kind offer and very much appreciated.
Chris
Old 04-02-2019, 13:15   #144

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

I'd like to second the recommendation to become a member over at AAC. I have learned more at that site than anywhere else, and I mean anywhere.

For example, for my $20 annual membership I have already saved thousands of $$$ on wrong equipment choices. The knowledge & experience of the community at AAC is simply wonderful.

And congrats to Groundtackle for the effort to get an Excel on the front of a boat of such a respected long distance cruiser as Colin, to do a fair trial. Well done👍

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 23:18   #145
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I take it the review is complimentary of the EXCEL. Seems to be a common theme, anyone who has used one (e.e. Panope, individual owners and apparently Colin) thinks they are great, those that haven't used them think they can judge them on the way they look. Interesting that what I saw in the part of the review I could read identified similar issues with roll bar anchors that I have.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 23:37   #146
Marine Service Provider

Factor, yup a great read. I’ve reached out to ACC to use Colin’s findings for all to see with respect for all their efforts. Their approach is refreshing.
Chris
Old 10-02-2019, 20:46   #147

Boat: Grand Banks 32

Bought a Sarca Excel #5 (22kg?) last spring before a 2-month cruise in the San Juan and Gulf Islands. Bought it on the strength of Panope's test/review. For us, it's sort of like what they advise about your investment strategy...how well do you want to be able to sleep? With the Excel we are able to sleep just fine, thank you (but we still have the anchor-watch app running all night.,) We have a Grand Banks 32 that, fully loaded, weighs close to 20K pounds. VERY happy with it. It dragged once, for maybe 30-40 feet, before resetting. We learned later that where we anchored the bottom was a pretty thin layer of sand/mud over rock. No wonder we dragged a bit. Bottom line, get a Sarca Excel and sleep well.
Oldersalt
"Everything on you boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:43   #148
Marine Service Provider

oldersalt, thanks very much for the comments and yes that anchor size is correct and remember chatting. Where are you now?
I also sleep with a stand alone handheld plotter in my bunk always watching whenever a change.
We now anchor in places I’ve never considered in the past with the newly gained confidence in the Excel.
Everything is stopped up here because of the snow and more coming. Attempting to get your anchors sent out.
Mrs Groundtackle and Aaaarrrby the pirate dog.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004D61D9-2BD8-4E46-AD0D-DD87D17C39DD.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	185792  
Old 02-11-2019, 18:22   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
As many of you know, Panope (the boat) is hauled out and undergoing some significant remodeling. This means no new anchor test for a while.

I did recently acquire a 45 lb. Delta anchor that will be tested as soon as possible. The comparison to the previously tested 48 lb. Excel is highly anticipated.

In the mean time, here are some side by side shots:

Steve

Hi Steve!

I've enjoyed viewing your videos. You definitely give a worst case senerio of how NOT to anchor.
But consistent testing with all the anchors, it really shows the difference in their performance.
I am wondering, do you think you will be able to test the Ultra anchor?
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:31   #150

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Peace View Post
Hi Steve!

I've enjoyed viewing your videos. You definitely give a worst case senerio of how NOT to anchor.

But consistent testing with all the anchors, it really shows the difference in their performance.

I am wondering, do you think you will be able to test the Ultra anchor?

A good point worth underscoring. Any anchor that requires careful technique for setting should be suspect.
After all, does your boat carefully reset the anchor in the middle of the night or when you’re ashore and the wind shifts?
And, how will your anchor keep you off the rocks in an emergency if it requires 30 min to “settle in” before setting.

So I think Steve’s tests should be shared very widely as I think they generalize extremely well to real world cruising
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc