Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 13:48   #226

Re: Sarca Excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I have a Bruce 15 kg anchor, which is about as good at anchoring as praying for rain.
No, based on the photo you showed in another forum, you have a cheap inferior copy of a Bruce.
Old 21-02-2013, 14:44   #227

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Yes, I do have a cheap inferior Bruce anchor as I found out from the other Forum,

Its not worth carrying on my boat, To me its useless, It wont set, It drags along the bottom, and I have watched it do it, In clear water,

It came with the boat, Same as the Danforth I have on board. It also drags, it gets rocks caught in the fluke swivel, and drags when the tide changes,

The only way to clear the rocks out is to pull it up and remove the rocks, Not fun when you are dragging through other boats at anchor in a River,

The Danforth was bent before it dragged putting me on the beach and rocks, It tried to do its job, but failed,
Maybe the Danforth was too small for my boat size, or the weather was too extreme for the size also,

The weather was a bit on the extreme side, Large waves and wind, Being forced up an inlet that I was parked in,
I was too busy trying to save my boat in the dark, than checking out what the wind and waves were doing,

You cant buy new anchors in the middle of the ocean, and I had not used them realistically before I actually got to Australia,
I was always tied up to swing moorings, Or a Pier,

That was when I found out they were both dragging, Watching and listening to other people talk about their experiences with anchors and anchor types, Is what made me decide I would go for the SARCA type anchors,

Sand and Rock Anchor, = Sarca,

Fortunately, The Sarca manufacturer is not far from where I live, So I went and visited him, he showed me a Video of his anchors being tested,
Which I liked,
I have also watched videos of other Sarca anchors being tested, From Google,

I have decided to get one of the local ones for my Boat, Personal preference,

The two anchors I got with my boat are pictured below, The copy of the Bruce and the Bent Danforth, Which got bent when I got wrecked on the beach,

The Danforth was under a lot of strain to bend like it did, So I really cant blame the anchor for letting go,

I also like those Fortress type anchors from South Australia, Their conditions are a bit on the extreme side as they are at the top of the Southern Ocean and dont have many places to hide from bad weather, But their Fortress anchors do seem to hold in all weathers,

Up untill now, and now that I have a live aboard sailing vessel. I want my anchor to stay where I put it,

A dragging anchor never bothered me before, on a fishing boat, even an overnighter in the straight beside Fraser Island, Dragging anchors, who cared, we didnt go far, and being awake all the time, a dragging anchor was not a problem, not a concern, as long as we were catching fish,

My 2 Centavo's Worth,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchors,swimming sports, Mariners club 022 (2).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	55401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchors,swimming sports, Mariners club 023.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	55402  

Name:	Anchors,swimming sports, Mariners club 024.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	55403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchors,swimming sports, Mariners club 025.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	55404  

Name:	Anchors,swimming sports, Mariners club 026.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	55405  
Old 21-02-2013, 15:00   #228

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The Excel looks interesting and gets good reports from those using it, mostly in Australia apparently. I like the looks and reports of lots of other modern anchors too, but I have to put in a few words, as I have before, in defense of some of the old school stuff. First, you get lots of reports of CQRs dragging for two reasons: they were by far and I believe still are the majority of the anchors on the bows of cruising boats; and a lot of the reports of poor performance are actually knock offs, not the real thing. I personally cruised thousands of miles between Maine and the Caribbean using CQRs for years, rode out a couple of hurricanes, numerous storms, etc. I've used them successfully in lots of different types of bottoms. Rode out hurricane Gloria on a combination of a CQR and a couple of Danforth anchors in a star pattern. When I left my boat it was near a mooring field. When I came back most of the mooring field was gone and the boats were on the beach--my boat hadn't moved. When in the San Blas Islands a few years ago we had a 56-knot chocosana come through in a difficult anchorage. Out of 8 or 9 boats only two didn't drag--me on a Bulwagga (at 3.2:1 scope) and a Beneteau on a single not-too big CQR. The boat to my port went up on the reef with his genuine Bruce, not sure what most of the other draggers had. My only point being that there is a lot more to anchoring than just purchasing the latest fad and hurling it over the side.
Old 21-02-2013, 15:04   #229
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Kettlewell,

its lost in the mists of threads - but what do you use now?
Old 21-02-2013, 20:17   #230
cruiser

Al chemy wrote:
OK, here's a simple one:

As of March 2013, is there a Canadian or an American distributor of Sarca Anchors?

If not, is it possible to import one here, assuming the cheapest, and probably slowest form of freight?

I don't expect it to be cheap, but like most skippers, I hope it's not ridiculously expensive.

Hi Alchemy,

I answerd this to Kettlwell in the previous locked Excel thread, as we do not have a suitable distibutor in your part of the world at the moment, until we do we have been offering then at a wholsale price,this marginally offsets the freight, as a result, there are now many Excels even as we speak making their way into your part of the world.

Regards Rex.
Old 21-02-2013, 23:20   #231
cruiser

Alchemy further to your enquiry,availability of Excel anchors in the U.S.

Bobofthenorth on this link is trying to put together a pallet load if you are interested.

Sarca Excel - Page 4 - Trawler Forum

Regards Rex
Old 21-02-2013, 23:32   #232

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Pricing varies considerably around the world, but the Delta is often one of the good value for money anchors.
It is much better than the traditional CQR and Bruce ( although large Bruce anchors can be reasonable ). It generally sets well. The limitation is the lower holding power compared to the better alternatives. This can be somewhat compensated by going larger.

The very best low cost anchor, if you can get a good one with the correct geometry and balance, is a Bugel copy.
The Bugal is a very simple anchor to fabricate. Despite its simple construction it works well. The main limitation is that it uses a simple flat blade fluke. This does not provide as high holding power as the concave blades and the simple geometry restricts the fluke area. It still performs better than all but the concave anchors.

Most full time cruising boats, that don't spend their time in marinas, bite the bullet and get a good anchor, but its still important to have a good spare. The aluminium Fortress is a great (almost essential) addition as a kedge etc.
Old 22-02-2013, 00:36   #233
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

[QUOTE=noelex 77;1165140]
The Bugal is a very simple anchor to fabricate. Despite its simple construction it works well. The main limitation is that it uses a simple flat blade fluke. This does not provide as high holding power as the concave blades and the simple geometry restricts the fluke area. It still performs better than all but the concave anchors.

1 A cheap Bugel made from thin mild steel is an accident waiting to happen.

2 When you have tried a CONVEX Excel you will be qualified to comment (you might be right, but many would disagree, - in the meantime you have no idea, at all, about what you are talking.
Old 22-02-2013, 01:31   #234

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Calm down JonJo, don't get your anchor chain in a knot.
My opinion is worth no more, or less, than anyone's on CF.
You can say anything you like about anchors, its personal attacks that we don't tolerate.

Now, lets get back to discussing anchor design.
Old 22-02-2013, 01:49   #235
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

It does seem somewhat amazing that people who have never tried a product are able to speak with authority on it.
Old 22-02-2013, 02:08   #236

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It does seem somewhat amazing that people who have never tried a product are able to speak with authority on it.
This is all due to the dreaded thread drift which as you would be well aware all too often happens even though the thread that you created is specifically called Sarca Excel to try and provide information and educate those who are not familiar with these excellent anchors. I don't think it adds anything to the discussion to then drift into discussions of a lot of older & now outdated anchor models and also cheap knockoffs.

I hope that a lot of CF readers take note of the link that Rex posted above to the Trawler Forum so that they can all get together to make up a pallet order so that they can get hold of an Excel for themselves. Then there will be a lot more users speaking with authority after obtaining and using one of these great anchors.

Hopefully the thread will now get back on track to a discussion of the Sarca Excel with the Super Sarca also worthy of discussion seeing it is from the same stable being Anchor Right Australia.
Old 22-02-2013, 02:13   #237
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It isn't. A brain surgeon can speak with authority about brain surgery without ever having had any him/her-self. There are many comparisons like that.

I find the "anchor X" changed my life stories disturbing as they become more fantastic with every post.

Old 22-02-2013, 02:41   #238

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It isn't. A brain surgeon can speak with authority about brain surgery without ever having had any him/her-self. There are many comparisons like that.

I find the "anchor X" changed my life stories disturbing as they become more fantastic with every post.
I see where you are coming from but your example doesn't stand up. The brain surgeon is an authority to speak on brain surgery because they are highly trained and skilled in performing this type of surgery which they do several times a week. That is they have real life hands on experience and expertise.

How long do you think a motor vehicle reviewer would last in their job and how much credibility would they have in the industry if they were in the habit of constantly writing reviews on vehicles that they had never even seen apart from a photograph & had certainly never driven?

Now, moving on, back to the Sarca anchors.
Old 22-02-2013, 03:07   #239
cruiser

Yes calm down Jon Jo,

AS an anchor tester, and a very good one at that, Jon Jo has given his time to sort the good and the bad, history has already proved ironically with Jon Jo help to uncover a very dark past on a certain concave design by researching and testing helped bring to light of what many of yachters thought was a quality product, end result, whilst he may not be totally happy with the result he has made this anchor design safer by making the manufacturers more accountable. Without his passion for anchor technoldgy we may have never known.

Converting the converted is an almost impossible task, believe me I know, but the Excel is becoming infectious as it gains momentum and your experiences with it Jon Jo is now being duplicated in many places in the world, for instance in the land of the great white cloud from of which these concave designs have come, their very market is now being seriously challenged by not just the Excel but also Super Sarca. Just go back and read G Mac’s post, the guru in New Zealand on anchor designs, he will echo my sentiments.
So whilst Noelex has an opinion then that’s his opinion then let it be as such, maybe before in the not too distant future he will be able to see an Excel in the flesh.

[comment on moderation removed]

Jon Jo has given much of his time passing on his experiences from many years of research with hands on in various types of test procedure’s and would have probably trialed more anchor designs than most, I am sure he is not indicating that what he knows is the be all and end all,I know for one I certainly dont agree with all he says but thats fine, his findings are a contribution to all other opinions, and I believe a huge contribution to your members, his opinions and in many cases findings simply fit another part of this seemingly ongoing search in anchor technology, performance. I as an inventor can understand his frustration when comments are simply based on theory, worse, theory with no base.

And no, our anchor designs will never be the be all and end all, there will never be a perfect anchor, encourage,not knock the ones that still strive as we can allways improve.

Regards Rex.
Old 22-02-2013, 03:18   #240

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Pricing varies considerably around the world, but the Delta is often one of the good value for money anchors.
It is much better than the traditional CQR and Bruce ( although large Bruce anchors can be reasonable ). It generally sets well. The limitation is the lower holding power compared to the better alternatives. This can be somewhat compensated by going larger.
Interesting to hear that, all I hear of the delta is negative comments, but on a boat delivery I had the chance to try one and was impressed by it's immediate bite and holding compared to the CQR. I have similarly been impressed by some Bruce copy's ability to quickly grab on a short scope.

But then I have had a very good run with my CQR. I have often found that it takes time to set a CQR, to the point where if it won't set first go I often just leave it as is (if the conditions aren't to dangerous) and test the set again later, often (unless I am in Flinders or Antarctica!) it holds fine after settling in for half an hour or so.

I sometimes wonder if the poor showing of the CQR in anchor tests vs real world might be due to lack of settling time? Saying that I think the CQR is clearly outmoded by the new gen anchors.

I figure if a CQR is OK, and a delta is better, then the angled toe, extra flat area and bisalloy shank make the sarca excel well worth seriously looking at.

Tags
arc